Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 21:04

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I agree. We can get cancer from going out in the sun too. We inhale enough carcinogens in a day just being around cars and in them compared with the miniscule amounts that a tablet of aspartame would contain...these scare mongering articles don't ever tell us how much aspartame a person would need to ingest in a day for the poisons to not be dealt with by liver and kidneys. If you ate too much aspirin a day you'd die too. Or salt. The fact that aspartame has some baddies in it does not mean that there are enough of them to do us harm. This does not mean that there won't be folks who are sensitive to aspartame. Some are sensitive to aspirin too.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 23:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

That is like saying, "There is a bunch of cr_p in the air, so I am just going to smoke because it doesn't matter anyway!" Why not do what you can to try and take care of yourself, I say. IMHO, of course.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 23:31

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

At least injesting Aspertame will make you nice and embalmed with formaldehyde and Methanal to prepare for the funeral home...
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

These sources you are refrencing for aspartame research are IMHO, not the most reliable sources. They are the same type of source that people redicule when they say stuff about atkins. it is quite obvious that many people here have their mind made up on the subject and that is ok. I for one dont think aspartame is the evil it is cracked up to be. The NIH has done several studies that have found it safe as well as the FDA and many other national regulatory bodies. However, i think the most important aspect of this issue, and every other diet issue, was brought up by gaudess. Moderation is the key to a healthy lifestyle. One of the underlying aspects of this diet, that many people overlook, is moderation. IMHO, if you live by that one word, you will avoid the vast majority of lifes pitfalls.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 04:48
Registered Member

Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

Whether it is found that aspartan is healthy or not is not important. I find it tastes bad and avoid it because of that.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I never liked the idea of aspartame, because it's a "natural" substance, albeit one that is a neurotoxin. Most people can metabolize Phenylalinine in food (yes, it's in all our food) in the amounts that are normally occuring in food. The reason newborns get blood taken from their heel is to test for this ability. If you don't have it, you will become mentally retarded. Babies with this metabolic inability must be fed a special diet for several years to let their brain develop normally.
Depending on the amount of aspartame one consumes, and one's personal tolerance, a person can create this metabolic disorder in their own body. This can range from headaches and neuropathy (tingling in the extremities) to seizures and blindness.
This is why some people eat it with no problems and some people, like my son, get a headache from half a diet soda. Many years ago, when he got headaches from diet sodas, we called the FDA and found it that was a common side effect. The man at the FDA said, pretty firmly, "Don't let him drink it." Which we did not.
Because of the science outlined here, I stay away from it.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 22:51
Registered Member

Stats: 144/126/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have not personally had any problems with it either. I have continued to lose weight with using the products, but very little of it. I might have a soda maybe one time a week with it in it. I have always been very worried about using it or not. One of the hardest things for me about the low carb diet is getting over having artificial sweeteners because I had always thought "why use one more thing that is a chemical, or has been processed?" This discussion has given me some good things to think about.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 12:28
Registered Member

Stats: 246/209/200 Male 6.4 ft
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default life is sweet without aspartame

Hello there.
What's all this sweet/fake sweet talk all about?
Fake sweeteners, fake cigarettes, fake this, fake that.
What's going on here?
It's not that hard to loose the "sweet cravings".
Artificial sweeteners are an insult to our bodies.
Any LC diet can be a great adventure without the sugar/fake sugar coatings.
Regards.
Big Dutch.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 316/304/200 Male 76
BF:better/every/day
Progress: 10%

So far no problem with loss weight and drinking too much aspartame. It is all the nitrates in the bacon that has me more worried...Can't find any nitrate free bacon around here and I probally couldn't afford it if I did.
Rod