Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 10:10

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Type II Diabetic Needs Help

I'll try to make a long story short.

I'm 57, 290 lbs, 6' and was diagnosed with "borderline" diabetes about two years ago. I made a few modifications to my diet which were not enough. My A1C has shot up to 10.1 and I am beginning to get neuropathy in my feet.

How did this happen? I suppose I thought I was invincible. For most if my life I ate and drank what ever I wanted which included a diet of lots of pasta, rice & coca-cola. I'm also a smoker since I was about 14. I guess I am fortunate in that the high blood sugar is the ONLY thing plaguing me at this time. My blood pressure has been 120/80 for years. There is a possibility that Chantix may have triggered my diabetes so I'm staying away from that now just to be safe.

I take 500 mg Metformin which is as much as I can tolerate and just started taking 5 mg Farxiga on Monday. I also started taking Wellbutrin to aid with quitting smoking. These are the only medications I take and my goal is to lose 70 pounds and get off the meds & quit smoking.

i have been following the Atkins diet for 4 days now and I think I have have made it to "ketosis". I have been consuming only about 10 carbs a day. if that, and my blood sugar has dropped from an average of around 250, (my morning fasting reading) and readings as high as 325 during the day, to about 170 in the morning and it has gone as low as 140 during the day.

I can see I have made some progress in just 4 days. So far, I've been eating mostly meat, eggs and a few low carb vegies like eggplant pizza, sausage & cheese stuffed zucchini, & mashed cauliflower with cream cheese and parmesan. I've been looking for the lowest carb recipes online.

If I stick to this diet, should I be taking any vitamins or supplements? What can I expect going forward? What are the odds my glucose levels will ever get back to normal, like 80 or 100? My doctor says I might be cured if I can get my weight down and recommended Atkins and monitoring my progress.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Regards,

TucsonBill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 10:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Tucson Bill,

First, have you found the Diabetes sub-forum? Since you are taking medication, read the caution sticky, and then read through a few pages of threads, those that interest you. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Highly recommend this TedTalk: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467426

DietDoctor's Guide to Reversing Diabetes https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
and all of Dr Westman's talks there too. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475642

This is a big forum with recipes and Buddy groups, everything you could need to help Reverse your Diabetes...yes, you can do that! Odds are good since your diabetes is not all that long standing.
Dr Westman suggests taking any generic of a No-Iron MultiVitamin, like a Centrum Silver.
You have only found Atkins info on the internet...suggest you follow the version here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 Avoid the products sold on the Atkins commercial site.

You are off to a good start. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-09-17 at 12:44.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 11:09

BF:

Thank you Jey,

I particularly liked the TedTalk - she sounds like my doctor, and thanks for the vitamin suggestion.

Bill
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 15:52

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

There is also a really wonderful reversing diabetes group on Facebook. Look for it under that name. This forum here that we are on now was my go-to forum when I was losing weight (I am not diabetic, but my partner is). However, I joined the Reversing Diabetes FB group to help my partner. It is stricter than here (because they are single mindedly focused on helping diabetics get off of meds). It is very supportive and highly moderated by very knowledgeable people, many of them health professionals. .
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 04:40

BF:

Thanks andante,

I don't have a facebook account but I will take a look. I'd be curious to know how the low carb diet worked for your partner. I am just now on day 5 and I woke up at 3am, (after 6 hours continuous sleep), and tested my blood sugar and its 134 - a new record low! Also my high yesterday was 171! In just 5 days my numbers have nearly been cut in half from what they were! I'm excited!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 10:12

BF:

I will continue to respond to any replies here, but my main thread is going to be here now:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477877

Thanks everyone!

Bill
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 10:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
There is also a really wonderful reversing diabetes group on Facebook. Look for it under that name. This forum here that we are on now was my go-to forum when I was losing weight (I am not diabetic, but my partner is). However, I joined the Reversing Diabetes FB group to help my partner. It is stricter than here (because they are single mindedly focused on helping diabetics get off of meds). It is very supportive and highly moderated by very knowledgeable people, many of them health professionals. .

I belong to that as well as the Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution Advocates group. Both are very good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 11:57

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

In answer to your question... My partner's 7.2 A1C dropped to 5.0 within three months. He was also taken off his blood pressure meds. I was never diagnosed as type 2, but my A1c is "super optimal" (!!! -- 4.4)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 08:42

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Thanks andante,

I don't have a facebook account but I will take a look. I'd be curious to know how the low carb diet worked for your partner. I am just now on day 5 and I woke up at 3am, (after 6 hours continuous sleep), and tested my blood sugar and its 134 - a new record low! Also my high yesterday was 171! In just 5 days my numbers have nearly been cut in half from what they were! I'm excited!

I recommend this website. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/