Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-17, 11:25

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default IF 21/3 micronutrient absorption rate?

Hi All,
I’ve been intermittent fasting for the past week or so and really enjoying it.
I’ve switched over my daily tracking from Lose-It to Cronometer and focusing in on meeting my daily micronutrient targets.

I’ve searched and searched but can’t seem to find any answer to the burning question…

Does eating one meal a day (3 hour window) allow the body enough time to absorb the micronutrients or are they mostly just passing through?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-17, 13:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't know a certain answer to your question, whether eating one meal vs. three would make a difference to nutrient absorption. But--digestion can be a long process, just because you only briefly consume food, that doesn't mean that you also have a brief time for absorption of nutrients. A fair amount of mineral absorption, for instance, can happen in the colon, there are various studies that show that short chain fatty acids formed by the fermentation of soluble fiber etc. can increase the absorption of minerals there.

Also--without knowing the answer, it could just as easily be true that shorter eating windows improve absorption of nutrients. The potential uptake of a nutrient isn't a static thing, a high level of absorption will often lead to a downregulation of various transporter proteins etc. So that period of not eating can increase absorption of nutrients when you do eat.

There are studies with magnesium deficiency etc., in the deficient state, magnesium absorption is greatly increased, far beyond what would be needed for daily requirements in the replete state.

Even when people eat multiple meals a day, some nutrients may be mostly consumed at one meal. If your major source of magnesium, again, was spinach, would you think twice about eating all of your spinach at dinner? I doubt it. I really doubt that it's a problem. I can't give you a more certain answer without making something up.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-17, 15:01

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:

Great answer. Thanks Teaser!

Funny that my biggest magnesium contributor happens to be a spinach and avocado green smoothie... good guess.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-17, 19:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:

I know that Jean (cotonpal) uses Cronometer and is interested in micronutrients. You might ask her directly in here journal or she may chime in here. I have not much experience with micronutients but do with ~24 hr IF, daily for months on end (one large meal a day) I felt fine after doing that...

However, i did mix it up on the weekends sometimes and ate a lot of food, that might have made up for anything lacking during the week. Who knows