Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 09:50

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default what is a fat fast

???????????????????????/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 15:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

#3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette1
???????????????????????/

When you eliminate the protein from LCHF !

Quote:
The true fat fast is supposed to be a few oz of cream cheese with 5 macadamia nuts repeated 3x a day. Now everyone does their own thing...I do fat above 75% carbs below 5%.

Quote:
The sample 200 calorie meals he proposed were: one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter, two ounces of cream cheese or Brie, one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado, two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise, two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar, two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup, two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content), two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise.

You total food for the day should be at 90% fat. And like I said, it is only to be followed for a cpouple of days and only for the people who cannot lose on strict induction.

Quote:
I think pretty much any 200 calorie, 90% fat "meal" would work, though.

It is based on this ...

Quote:
"“Calorie Intake in Relation to Body Weight Changes in the Obese,” Lancet, July 28, 1956, 155-161 by Alan Kekwick and Gaston Pawan.

Basically, what they did was to take a group of overweight subjects and put them in three groups. Each group received 1000 calories per day. One group was fed 90% carbohydrates, the second group 90% protein, and the third group 90% fat.

The group receiving 90% carbohydrates gained an average of 0,24 pounds per day of the study. The group receiving 90 protein lost an average of 0,6 pounds per day of the study, and the group receiving 90% fat lost an average of 0,9 pounds per day of the study.

This clearly demonstrates the superiority of diets high in protein and fats over diets high in carbohydrates. Note that each group received only 1000 calories per day. It’s interesting to note that even at the very restricted level of 1000 calories per day, subjects fed 90% carbohydrates actually GAINED weight."

http://www.paunchiness.com/kekwick-...t-loss-results/

Good links here
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 20:19

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
...This clearly demonstrates the superiority of diets high in protein and fats over diets high in carbohydrates...

Made me laugh! Clear? Really?

I've heard of fat fast, never done one I guess just regular fasting. I think some use a "fat fast" as permission to make somthing called "fat bombs" that are a bunch of artificially sweetened fat. I guess that's OK if you like to fast on pretending candy

subscribing to this thread to become more enlightened as I don't know the answer either J.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 22:04

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I know what you mean, Thud, about the fat fast devolving into coconut oil + flavoring. However, Dr Atkins had a prescription for it in the originals Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution.

Following JEY's links above, I found: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449763
Scroll down to the second post to see what Dr Atkins recommended.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 06:02

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Great! Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 09:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote below from other thread, reportedly from an 2002 Atkins book, worth reposting so we can talk...

Quote:
The Fat Fast
The rationale behind the Kekwick diet is crystal clear: It forces the body into lipolysis so it burns its stores of fat. Lipolysis cannot take place if there is a significant source of glucose. Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis. That explains the ninety percent dietary fat component of the Kekwick diet. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat-thus the 1,000calorie limit.
When I wrote the first edition of this book years ago, I realized that a small but intensely suffering segment of my readers would need to know how to overcome metabolic resistance. So I decided to make the Kekwick diet as enjoyable as possible. But no matter how I tried, the quantities were simply too small and the selection too limited to meet the satiety and tastiness criteria that I had been demanding for people following my program.

I gave it the name "Fat Fast" because it contained virtually no food except for fat. I tried it on scores of patients and was not surprised to observe how often it worked for those who were unable to lose in any other safe, drugless way. Nor was I surprised to hear that none of my patients relished the idea of staying on it. But ten more years of experience with the Fat Fast has
taught me how to make Kekwick and Pawan's brilliant concept a truly useful technique with which to combat metabolic resistance.

The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories, I am afraid. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with seventy-five to ninety percent fat. Since frequent "feedings" prevent hunger better than three meals a day, I recommend five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people on the Fat Fast experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of meals as we know them.

Let's look at some choices for a Fat Fast 200-calorie feeding. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:
• One ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
• Two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
• One ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
• Two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
• Two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
• Two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
• Two ounces of pate (check label for fat content)
• Two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

When to Do the Fat Fast
Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen. The reason why I ask such people to try the Fat Fast is to let them know that it is possible to lose weight.
I ask them to try the regimen for four or five days to see if they achieve what the Fat Fast is capable of doing-weight loss, curbed appetite, positive lipolysis testing strips and improved well-being. If these results occur, most people are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

I get where this is coming from I think, it seems like just regular fasting made a bit easier (or harder) keeping the habit of "eating" but eating something that doesn't mess with a fat burning metabolism, namely, fat.

This would be interesting to try and compare this to regular intermittent fasting, in which I have some limited experience and observations. When I've been fasting lately (36 hrs one day a week - this is considered IF I think) I start off with Coffee and 1 oz of fat [~200 calories] (tablespoon butter fat, tablespoon coconut fat) in the morning so It's not a true water fast. If I brought some butter, coconut fat and a stick blender into work I could make 2 "Coffatties" at work, one more after getting home and one more in the evening for ~1000 calories for the day. Try this for 3 days and compare feelings of hunger to water fasting for the same amount of time (research already done for that portion)

So, after dissing the fat fast as an excuse to eat artificially sweetened "candy" - I've read the source (if reliable) and think it's a reasonable way to ensure that your body is likely to be burning fat as a fuel source - hopefully some of the perceived cognitive benefits of intermittent water fasting are present too.

We shall see, experiment next week.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 10:26

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I look forward to your experiments, Thud. Maybe you could you clone yourself first so you could try water fasting vs fat fasting head to head?

Dr Atkins wrote about the fat fast in the day when fasting was seriously frowned upon (I disagree with his assertion that you'll be less hungry eating 200 cals 5x/day rather than eating 1000 cals once a day) - I wonder if he might be more favorable to Real Fasting now. Guess we'll never know.

Anyway, I'll be interested in your results.