Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 18:54

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Thumbs down South Beach Diet prpared meals plan

There are new ads on TV about the South Beach diet delivered to your home. Since South Beach is supposed to be low carb, I went to the site to look over the plan. I looked at the menus and prepared dishes. Like Nutrisystem and WW, the emphasis is on chicken, vegetable oils, lentils and grains. Sigh. Low fat protein, "healthy carbs, " and unsaturated fats. Double sigh.

I get tired of preparing and cooking for one, so these prepared frozen meals look like a nice change. So far I have been disappointed in all the ones I had tried.

I hoped South Beach would be the answer. It isn't. Too bad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 19:12

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Did you try the Atkins meals? I've not tried them and try to avoid processed food in general, but I would think they might be the best of something not fabulous.

Can you make your own frozen dinners for the nights you don't feel like cooking?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 19:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have never ordered these meals but Pete's Paleo looks good just very very pricey.

https://www.petespaleo.com/

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 20:45

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Those DO look good! - as long as you can tolerate winter squash and root vegetables. Much better than I imagine Atkins to be, for sure.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 06:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Did you try the Atkins meals? I've not tried them and try to avoid processed food in general, but I would think they might be the best of something not fabulous.

Can you make your own frozen dinners for the nights you don't feel like cooking?

Yes, Atkins has been out for quite a while. They offer their meals in grocery stores. Convenient. My grocery offers 5 meals. they get boring after a while. The unfortunate thing about breakfast is the smell of cooking green peppers. If you like the smell, that's good.

Since I don't like to cook at any time . . .

I have frozen some of Dana Carpender's slow cooker meals.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have never ordered these meals but Pete's Paleo looks good just very very pricey.

Jean

Thanks Jean for the site. I went on it and think it is worth a try. Pricey? Yes. But what I like about it is that the menu varies with the week. Not the same old, same old. i looked at the food and it is protein 1/3 and vegetables. 2/3 It would depend upon the chef. Worth a try for one week.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

regarding the new SB frozen meals ...

It's my understanding the South Beach "brand" was sold to Nutrisystem back in December 2015. Dr. Agatston, author of the SBD books, is now on their board of directors . It's no big surprise that the "new" SBD is modeled on Nutrisystem's format of pre-packaged meals and snacks. No doubt, the South Beach brand will be promoted as direct competition to the Oprah-Weight Watchers brand. It's all about market share and $$$$$

At the present time, SB frozen meals are only available to order online from the SB website as a (very expensive!) package deal, with automatic shipping and charges to your credit card unless you opt out. Can only be shipped within continental US. However, some of the marketing PR from Nutrisystem sounds like they may eventually sell these products in retail stores.

Most of the meals listed for Phase 1 are lowish in carbs, but they're also very low in fat and calories. The Phase 2 meals are loaded with "healthy whole grains" . The bars and shake mixes aren't low carb at all (15g carbs or more)

Frankly, I find this "new" version of SBD to be a complete bastardization of the original, which encouraged eating real whole foods . I'd encourage anyone interested in SBD to stick to the original books and food lists (posted here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologies to Benay .. I realize the above doesn't help your search for tasty lc-friendly prepared meals. You could try typing "prepared meal delivery service in _________ (your location)" into Gooogle. There just might be something close to home that's suitable, or that would allow you to customize a là low-carb .
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 10:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

Jean

This looks interesting but if I calculated properly, the cost is about $25 per meal.
You're right, it's very pricy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 14:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

A few frozen options:

1. Tandoori chef
Both the palak paneer and the chicken tandoori with spinach are great (10 and 6 net carbs).

2. Saffron road (organic/ health food frozen aisle) make spiced but unbreaded chicken "nuggets." These are great on a salad or with a veg on side.

Other ideas:
1. A rotisserie chicken is a lot of chicken for one person, but often the store has a small amount of turkey, too- enough for 2 dinners. You can nuke a frozen veg, there are tons of new options. I have even seen frozen mashed cauli recently!

2 prepared sausages like the ones by apple gate just need to be heated. Throw in pre cut onions and peppers and you have dinner in under 10 minutes. All you have to do is stir every few minutes.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 04:47

BF:

Thanks, Robin