Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:02

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Why is the meat & egg diet so prominently displayed here?

This has been bugging me for a while: it seems to me that the "General Low Carb" subforum is the main low carb discussion forum, and the top thread is nearly always that meat & egg thing.

The meat & egg plan is certainly low carb, but it is not in the mainstream. Most of us truly believe that veggies are an essential part of LC and that eliminating them is unhealthy. Moreover, we are constantly combatting the stereotype that low carb means no carb. The surgeon who left here recently said that most of us are willing to sacrifice our health for weight loss. HMM. I wonder where he got that idea.

The forum has taken a strong stand against forms of bulimia and anorexia in the past, perhaps a position against other forms of fasting should be considered too. If not, maybe that thread should just be moved out of the "General Low Carb" discussion area. Is it really "general low carb"?

This is my first post ever in the war zone. I'm scared.

Oh well. Go ahead and attack me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:08

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
This has been bugging me for a while: it seems to me that the "General Low Carb" subforum is the main low carb discussion forum, and the top thread is nearly always that meat & egg thing.

The meat & egg plan is certainly low carb, but it is not in the mainstream. Most of us truly believe that veggies are an essential part of LC and that eliminating them is unhealthy. Moreover, we are constantly combatting the stereotype that low carb means no carb. The surgeon who left here recently said that most of us are willing to sacrifice our health for weight loss. HMM. I wonder where he got that idea.

The forum has taken a strong stand against forms of bulimia and anorexia in the past, perhaps a position against other forms of fasting should be considered too. If not, maybe that thread should just be moved out of the "General Low Carb" discussion area. Is it really "general low carb"?

This is my first post ever in the war zone. I'm scared.

Oh well. Go ahead and attack me.

i dont think the human body needs veggies, but yeah, i gues we actually need a subforum thats more about zero carb, because since the bear was here its getting a popular thing
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

it's always up there because there are so many posts in it, it's an extremely active thread. The one you see is always the one last posted in.

I don't see why choosing not to eat vegetables would need to be removed from general low carb. These people consciously choose to do so because it feels and works better for them.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

You can report it to the moderators Who knows, they might move it to the challanges area.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

No need to attack, just straighten up a few misconceptions.

-Veggies and carbs are not essential in human diets. That popular "low-carb" diets seek to include veggies in their plans to make it more "acceptable" to the mainstream serves only to sell books. That other people don't accept this path is irrelevant (and inevitable really). That's their own hang up.

-There is a support thread in the Paleo section that was spun off from the Bear thread for those seeking information and support on a totally carnivorous diet.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 11:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

As you can see, OP, this is a controversial subject. If people want to believe that eating goat dung is good for them, they will find whatever they need to support their belief, and if they can't find it, they'll rely on faith or personal experience.

Me excepted, of course!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, May-15-06 at 12:48.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 12:07

Plan: M/E & Atkins
Stats: 257/206/199 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:way too high!
Progress: 88%

Maybe the Meat & Egg deserve their very own section....that thread is fairly long because there are many of us out there following this as a WOL

...and personally I find reading that post is painfull....I miss a few days and have to go through soooo many pages just to catch up....

So I say due to it's popularity maybe a new section is needed here
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 12:29

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Biketowork:
Obviously if you see a lot of meat and egg thread action it is because people are genuinely interested in this form of low-carbing. If they weren't, the meat and egg threads would all disappear. Not everyone thinks that veggies and fruit have an exclusive monopoly on vitamins and minerals, thinking instead that meat, eggs and cheese contain everything that a human requires in perfect balance.

I no longer feel it necessary to try and defend low-carb eating. Let everyone do what they want but I'll just keep injecting the bacon fat directly into my veins.

Last edited by Hellistile : Mon, May-15-06 at 12:35.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 12:35

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

B2W, LC already IS out of the mainstream. Don't be discouraged by those in the mainstream who would attempt to marginalize LC. And try not to be like them, by referring to someone else's version of LC as being outside the mainstream.

You can do all-veggie LC or all-meat LC, or anything in between. And it appears to me that its all good for you. The meat-and-fat haters, can only prove that these foods are bad when taken with large amounts of carbs. They are attempting to extrapolate their results to LC, and it doesn't work.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 14:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

In less than a month, the meat & egg thread has had more than 93,000 views. Many people are now considering this latest diet simply because it's the new trend in the forum. The people who are now starting this diet have been influenced by the (unproven) information they've received here. I am afraid that the forum might be liable for any consequences. What if someone drops dead? I'm afraid that the forum might be seen by a jury as having endorsed the diet.

It is not the same as discussion about published diets. If someone goes on a diet promoted by a doctor, it is that doctor who is liable for ensuing disease and death.

To a lesser degree, I also lament the change in the tone of the forum. I started lurking here in 2001 and joined in 2002 (under a different name; when I rejoined after lapsing and regaining, there wasn't a single name rule). There used to be more concern for promoting optimal health. Now, it seems to me, there are more extremists who want to try any radical regime that might not kill you and are encouraging others to join them.

Human health and human lives are at stake here. Indiscriminate advice and unproven information are being thrown around here with little restraint. What if someone dies? Do we really want that on our consciences?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 14:18

Plan: no carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

This is my very first post here and I can tell you,if I eat any carbs (anything that may turn into sugar) I wouldn't be here posting.
I don't have any faith in doctors/surgeons,etc. since they treat everyone with a single minded procedures.

I don't have a weight problems,as a matter of fact I am considered as underweight for my height but what I have is a very weak pancreas (acute pancreatitis) and a low blood pressure. Any sugar in my system means an ambulance ride to the hospital with a 3 days of fasting but the last time was 8 weeks long.
I don't drink alcoholic beverages,I don't smoke and lead an extremely healthy life style with active life style,moderate amounts of vegetables,lean meats,etc. So I thought.
3 years of constant testing including pancreas biopsy and I was still having one attack after another.
Guess what they give you at the hospital stays? Clear liquids and everything that includes sugar or corn syrups. They never allowed what my husband brought me, freshly made clear beef or chicken broth without any salt,sugar or spices or clear diet drinks which I requested from him.

That was 5 years ago. I started a strict Paleo diet and eliminated anything that may turn into sugar,veggies,fruits,all dairy (I cheat once in a blue moon and have a little cheese).
What I eat is solely meat and eggs,little nut or few wild blueberries in season and never felt better in my life. Kicked the nexium pills,no longer getting that stabbing back pain signalling another episode of pancreatitis.
I run about 5 miles a day,every day. Just took a bone density test,no bone loss even though I am 5'8" and weight 120 lbs. At 54,went through menopause without any side effects such as hot flashes or mood swings.

Did I mentioned I don't believe what doctors tells me? Their best interest lays with drug companies and their miracle pills for the latest fashionable diseases.

If meat and eggs helps some people to shed their excessive pounds and lead a healthier life style,why would anyone object to it?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 14:23

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

If had followed all 3 of my doctor's nutrition and pharmaceutical advice and the standard Government of Canada food guidelines, I would be pushing up daisies instead of doing push ups a long time ago. An all meat diet has been followed by several cultures around the globe and to some extent by our pre-agricultural ancestors.

Extremely low carb diets are used to treat epilepsy in children for example and no they don't need veggies, concentrating mostly on meat, fat and high fat dairy.

http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

I like the direction and tone of the forum myself. It is becoming more realistic to my way of thinking and I like debate and sharing of information.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 15:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Not everyone thinks that veggies and fruit have an exclusive monopoly on vitamins and minerals, thinking instead that meat, eggs and cheese contain everything that a human requires in perfect balance.

And when Fitday or MyPlan shows deficiencies, some decide that it's all a conspiracy and we don't need all those vitamins and minerals anyway.

Just because a thread is popular doesn't mean it's a good idea (it could just mean that everyone who participates is very chatty ). I can think of several threads that saw a lot of action even though what was being done wasn't terribly healthy (drinking large amounts of oil, anyone?). IMO, sometimes the popularity of what seems to be an 'off the beaten path' idea is more an indication of how desperate some are to lose weight than how good the idea is.

That said, there's no evidence that low carb without veggies is detrimental in the long run. OTOH, there's also no evidence that it's better for us than low carb as the mainstream authors have laid out (ahem..WITH the plant matter).
At the end of the day all of us who are adults are free to make our choices and take whatever chances with our health that we please and have noone but ourselves to blame if the outcome isn't what we had hoped for or ourselves to congratulate if the plan actually works.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 15:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

A lot of views means nothing, really, unless you have a way of knowing how many are reading for what reason... for all anyone knows 80,000 views could be from people shaking their heads and feeling like they're watching a trainwreck.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 15:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
A lot of views means nothing, really, unless you have a way of knowing how many are reading for what reason... for all anyone knows 80,000 views could be from people shaking their heads and feeling like they're watching a trainwreck.

Or one person hitting the Refresh button a gajillion times, to see if there are any new posts .

Doreen
Closed Thread