Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Tholian8,

Thanks so much for the congrats. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that my efforts were noticed. I love the pats on the back... makes it seem more worth it. Especially if I can encourage anyone .

From your posts, I see you struggle too, but I think you are more in control than I was. Wishing you the best and Thanking you again ~ Susan
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:30
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Susan, just for once I don't think we are going to be in conflict! I knew we'd find something we agreed on eventually!

I've found the evening drink habit has been growing on me for the last year and stepping up over the last month, certainly enough to make me question it.

About a year ago 3 things came at the same time: I got a new and very stressful job (and found I was popping into the pub on the way home every night, not just a couple of times a week), I stopped smoking (80 a day) and found my drink rate went up (sip every time I would have sucked!) and went on the LC (found that my very good internal regulator was adjusted to beer, but didn't function for wine or spirits).

Those who've looked at my journal will know I had perverse reaction to the alcohol-related death of a friend a few weeks ago - I decided to cut down and instead started drinking more. Like Susan, it the relaxing red wine at home that's the problem. Is it a problem or is it a glitch? I'm still undecided. I grew up with a severe alcoholic - does this mean I'm more susceptable or just that I worry about the possibilty more?
  #228   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 13:05
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Ian,

There were some alcohol problems in my household when I was growing up, too...but being adopted, I at least know that I didn't inherit them. I can, however, easily point to some very bad habits I saw going on around me and accepted as totally normal and unremarkable until I was in my 20s and realized that I was starting to re-enact them.

I had a bad ride through the 12 steps (AA and others, on the bad advice of counselors), and although the program does work for a lot of people, I found it to be completely unsuitable and unacceptable. Since this post is not intended to be an anti-12-step polemic, I'll leave it at that.

What I have learned over the past two decades is that I basically have two choices when it comes to keeping my drinking within reasonable bounds: Either make it a daily practice, but absolutely no more than two glasses of wine (or equivalent); or, drink as much as I like but absolutely not on a daily basis, i.e., no more than three nights a week. Even four nights is asking for trouble.

I can follow either policy with good results. But even one extra glass of wine per night can be the tipping point where my tolerance rises quickly, and then it takes a hell of a lot more than two glasses to satisfy me.

I am having a sober day today and let me tell you, I'm really hating it. I'm lonely, I'm slightly bored, Gez is traveling which always makes me nervous (stupid, I know, but it's the truth), and I have some pressing personal issues which are really bothering me and which I would like nothing better than to "numb out" with some of what's in the box on my kitchen counter.

However, I can either practice voluntary self-control now, and learn to enjoy it, or I can practice enforced abstinence later, under doctor's orders, after ruining my health with too much partying. The former sounds like a much better option.

Emily
  #229   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:13
Slightly foxed

I think I'm with you on this, Emily. I'm having a booze free day today as well. Yes, it feels a bit weird - I feel I should be a lot more chilled out just about now. But, its really not that difficult. I think with me this is mostly about habit. Of course, the risk is, 'where would it lead'?
  #230   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 09:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been following this thread since it's inception, thought about posting many times, but never did.

I looked it up today because I suggested it to a newer member who was considering AA.

I just wanted to congratulate everyone for every little success they have with saying "not tonight". It's hard sometimes.

I definitely have issues with alcohol. I was blessed(?) with my dad's Celtic iron liver. I can drink my face off, keeping up with the guys, and not even be hung over in the morning. Yet I've always been aware of it, and with the exception of a few major benders during depressing times, I've kept it in check. My major challenge now is social drinking, and that's a lot easier to deal with than self-medication-based drinking. Not surprisingly, that's my issue with food, too. As long as there's no junk food in my house, I'm fine, but I'm extremely impulsive when "everybody else is doing it."

I've haven't had a drink since Saturday, which is the longest I've gone since January, the last time I did Fat Flush. I should really call it "Liver Flush." The only think keeping me going, saying no to alcohol, is that carrot dangling over the scale every morning. I'm distracting myself with weight loss.

Sometimes, I just hate that feeling when I decide not to drink, like last night when the BF went out with his buddies. It was quiet. Lonely. Boring. Just me, silence, and a ticking clock. A fridge full of food to binge on, had I chosen that, and believe me, I entertained the idea. If it seems like I made a zillion pointless posts last night, that's why.

Pardon my rambling... I think I'll subscribe to this thread.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, May-06-04 at 09:59.
  #231   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 22:45

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 222/222/150 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all. I am new to the site and just browsing tonight to keep my fingers busy. I want popcorn!!! Anyway, stumbled across this OLD thread, the beginning actually back in '02. At first, I was just enthralled by what was being said, by the honesty of it all. I was moved, at first, to say how refreshing to read such sincere dialogue on such a serious subject. And then it occurred to me that I have the same "problem" as everyone else who posted. I like to drink. Period. Simple as that. I like how it makes me feel in the evening to have several ice cold beers or several warm glasses of dry red wine and just let go of the day. I miss that most about being LC. And I fought going LC for that very reason. I didn't drink every night of the week, but always on Friday nights and basically right through the weekend. This last weekend was my first weekend without. It went okay, but I am consumed with thoughts of an upcoming 4-day weekend vacation and all the drinking I plan on doing. I am also consumed with worry that I won't be able to resume my LC when I return. So I am of two minds. Do I test my resolve by drinking or not drinking while on vacation? Tough one. But what grand coincidence that I find this thread now when I probably need it most! Thank you Osuzana for starting it and everyone else for their highly relateable posts. Browngirl
  #232   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/195/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is a good thread .... I have found that I can not drink and lose weight... So for now I will hold off. My DH and I love wine. I did partake on Mothers day, but just a little
  #233   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Hi all! I'm baccccccck! And after having company for 5 days that was drinking from the time she awakened, until the time she passed out, I'm thankful not to be drinking for awhile. And.... i pulled out my exercise machine! figured, i'd do the purge right! good to see you all!
  #234   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I started drinking more wine in the evening and my weight loss ceased as well. Now I am limiting it to the weekend, but the first few days the craving was terrible. I seem to be able to consume LC beer and do OK though.

BRat
  #235   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

I just wanted to tell you my experience with alcohol. I have had an ongoing problem for many years. I would drink 6 drinks or more a day. I tried to quit over and over again, nothing ever worked. This year, a week after New Year's, I started doing Atkins. I wanted to lose some weight and I figured "Well, I'll do this plan, quit beer, and switch to vodka after induction." I look back on that now and just can't believe how sick I was. I did induction, and an amazing thing happened. I had no interest in drinking alcohol anymore! Low carbing took my cravings away! I didn't need it anymore, it didn't even sound appetizing. I also lost 25 pounds since January! I honestly think I had some sort of imbalance and the way I am eating now balanced me. You will feel TERRIBLE the first week, it will pass, after that this is just a great way of eating and living!
  #236   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:33
Slightly foxed

I'm glad to say that I've managed to bring this down a LOT since my last posting. I'm still wary - I need to be - but I seem to be drinking much more reasonably, or indeed not at all sometimes!
  #237   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/169/135 Female 5'6
BF:25

Hi all,

I have had a few eating, drinking slips, but am very busy now, working seven days a week, so that has helped keep my drinking and eating under control. I also am bringing in more money, helping with the stress.

I think my weight gain has been mostly due to drinking wine and bingeing. I am really not a huge eater otherwise.

I too, looked in the mirror, and said "how did my gut get so big?" I really don't eat that much. Has anyone lost weight just by cutting way back on the drinking? I don't think I will lose more until I do that.

-R.M.
  #238   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/158/140 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Re:

I am not sure I subscribe to the whole addiction thing. I am English and have lived in the US for 4 years so coming from Europe, we have a much different perspective on drinking wine. A glass or two of wine a day is very good for you. Its medically proven, part of the mediterranean diet (go to Italy, Spain or Greece and you'll count more 90 year olds than trees!). It depends on the quality of the wine you drink. Loading up on cheap Costco wine wont do you much good but theres reasonably priced wines out there which do better than fine.

I drink 2-4 glasses of wine a day, during dinner then hanging out with my gf, working late in my home office or watching TV. This can be daily or every other day. I need to shed 15-20 lbs so I am trying Atkins for the first time. Wine will be tough to give up as I enjoy the taste with dinner, its a part of our ritual at home, cook, listen to music, drink wine, talk over our day. But if I have to, I have to! (I dont drink liquor.. drink a beer occasionally)

Good posts all.. just dont sweat the wine so much

If anyone wants any wine recommendations, let me know.

Last edited by Yellow281 : Thu, Jun-10-04 at 08:06.
  #239   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 00:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am not sure I subscribe to the whole addiction thing.
Try living without it. After 6 weeks you'll either know if it's just a habit and is easily replaced or forgotten - or an addiction.

Karen
  #240   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 12:08

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I haven't read through this whole thread but I still wanted to share the single thing that keeps me from drinking. It's the knowledge that if there is alcohol on board (in your body) it's the preferred fuel. That means that while you have alcohol to burn for fuel, the fat burning ceases.