Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 00:35

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Eliminating veggies

I am very curious about what happens when one decides to eliminate veggies from their diet! A lady, I met through buying a cookbook on ebay, told me that she low carbed, didn't eat veggies for the longest time and ate lots of fat and protein and ended up having heart bypass surgery... Now, I could be way off base here, but am curious if anyone has gone for a long time without veggies and what were the results???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 00:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well theoretically you can gain all nutrients necessary for good health by eliminating vegies, but - and it's very big BUT - you would then need to eat the "whole animal," that is, include all organ meats in your diet.

Seems a lot easier to just enjoy your vegies to me.

Having said that, it's impossible to pinpoint the cause of this lady's heart disease. Despite the garbage we are constantly fed through the news media, fat and protein emphatically do not cause heart disease. Lack of vegies certainly don't help, but there were probably many other factors involved.
Stress, smoking, high blood pressure etc could all have all be involved.

*Shrug* I just find it rather sad to hear yet another person hinting (because that's how the lady sounds to me) that low carbing causes heart disease.

Cheers,

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 00:55

BF:

I know what you mean, but it made me so curious about eliminating veggies because it goes on so much around here! My husband thinks she had health issues prior to low carbing and that the doc just grabbed on that to blame???? Who knows! And, I would rather eat my veggies than those organs! Yuck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 19:59

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Anyone who thinks they can carry on a healthy life with No veggies, has to be really ingnorant and stupid!
Repeatedly it is stressed LOW Carb" not" NO Carb

Quote:
didn't eat veggies for the longest time and ate lots of fat and protein and ended up having heart bypass surgery.

Maybe she would of anyways, who knows what her diet was prior to No carbing, but maybe No carb'in just speeded it up.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 22:32

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Humans evolved as omnivores. Means we're 'posed to eat veggies and protein in order to stay healthy. While it's possible to eat nothing but protein and survive, I don't believe it's healthy.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 23:05

BF:

Well, she did say she had low carbed for two years. I feel really bad for her regardless. It had to be horrible to go through.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 10:40

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Also, what did she mean by low carbing (protein only) -- salami and fried chicken and bacon and hot dogs? There are healthier choices to be made with even meat only -- perhaps some of us could survive well on only processed meats, but I really don't think it's a healthy route.

And NOWHERE does it ever say to eliminate vegetables from your diet! Not in Atkins or Eades or any other low-carb book....
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 21:53

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
she did say she had low carbed for two years.

But Low carb'in does not" cut out veggies 100%" so there is lines why low carb'in gets such a bad rap, one more person, saying they are low carbing when in fact they are not.

Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 00:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
I am very curious about what happens when one decides to eliminate veggies from their diet! A lady, I met through buying a cookbook on ebay, told me that she low carbed, didn't eat veggies for the longest time and ate lots of fat and protein and ended up having heart bypass surgery... Now, I could be way off base here, but am curious if anyone has gone for a long time without veggies and what were the results???

Hey Kathy! I think you might have overlooked the part of the thread where I stated that she, by her own admittance, didn't eat veggies. So, I put it here in the quotes!