Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 20:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 335/195/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Atkins/BFL Challenger

Hey Guys, I have dropped 135lbs and my goal is to get 170lbs for my 25th bday July 2005. I know I have ample time does anyone have any suggestions for reaching that goal at a healthy pace for starters? While combining atkins and BFL, I currently use the cardio portion of BFL. How do I concentrate on staying lean without major muscle gain? Any suggestions Ideas my current workout schedule is 6 days a week cardio, ab workout, and pilates. I weight trained but stop because I had gained muscle weight and that was discouraging. My current carb intake is 30gs per day, 1.5 gallons of water and 5 meals a day along with the following supplements. Aspara-plus, taurine, Xenadrine EFA, Chorominum and L-Caritine. What changes should I make?

Last edited by ROBWEST : Wed, Nov-03-04 at 14:30.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 12:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Muscle is good. Muscle burns more calories just existing than fat. Weight on the scale doesn't mean as much as body fat percentage. I'm strongly in favor of lifting weights. (Maybe I should get back at it soon.) When I did 9 weeks of BFL I didn't lose much weight on the scale but I went down a size in clothing and looked much better.

You might not have just gained muscle weight, muscles retain water after you use them, creating a temporary increase in the scale number but don't be afraid.

Quote:
Aspara-plus, taurine, Xeneical EFA, Chorominum and L-Caritine.

The first three I know nothing about, though I hope the third isn't that Xenical that you can't eat fat with, just eat your fat and be happy about it. Atkins is a high fat diet.

I take chromium to help with cravings. I took L-carnitine for one bottle but it didn't seem to do anything for me so I didn't buy any more.
I recommend you take a multivitamin, fish oil and additional calcium/magnesium.

L-Glutamine is also helpful in preventing cravings and used in large amounts (5 grams) can prevent muscle soreness after weight lifting.

I would think that doing cardio 6 days a week would be catabolic and counterproductive but I suppose it depends on how intense you are doing it too.

I hope you'll reconsider the weight lifting portion of BFL.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 12:58
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

Have any interest in Swimming its a sure fire way to get all over body lean and its easy on the joints. At least that what I have been told and after watching the Summer Olympics this year I'm pretty sure it true.

BTW, saw your pics in the gallery posted yesterday, Great Job.

I wish you continued success,
Dewi
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 14:29

BF:

my bad I meant Xenedrine EFX lol not Xenical thanks for the helpful suggestion. I will definetly take it in consideration. I meant to add I currently take Flaxseed Oil, Psyullum Husk, and Atkins Essential with CLA. I hope I'm not overdosing. But I will definetly build a bridge and get over my fear of weights. Thank you both I am considering swimmingI'm slimmer now I might as well visit my first beach lol. BY THE WAY ILL SEE U BOTH AT THE FINISH LINE...EXCEPT IN THIS RACE WE ARE ALL WINNERS.

Last edited by ROBWEST : Wed, Nov-03-04 at 14:34.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 03:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/330/200 Male 6' 0
BF:
Progress:

congrats rob! how long did it take you to lose 135 pounds because that's kinda my goal?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 05:49

BF:

Honestly I got really serious in December 2003 I started dropping rapidly between January to July 2004. I would say about 9 months. I must say whats really funny is when you get down to your goal weight you honestly want to go further my original goal was 220lbs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 06:36
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Man, WTG , totally AWESOME job losing that weight. You must be so happy!

Now, DON'T worry about gaining muscle weight, keep on lifting weights, it will make you look better and help so much in keeping fat off. If you want to stay slim and healthy and stay that way as you grow older, resistance training is a MUST!

Congrats again, you deserve it, Chip
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 07:39

BF:

Thanks Chip btw saw the before and after pics man you really inspired me to get to the weights thanks for the support.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 13:51
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Great job Rob!

You really shouldn't need to worry about muscle gain. I think that the average muscle gain for men is between 5 to 15 pounds in the first year and if you continue to work any where from 1 to 3 each year after that. Gaining muscle is a hard thing...

Since I started my BFL challenge in January I've lost 50 pounds... and while I'm close to my goal weight I am wearing much smaller sizes than I anticipated. Muscle is a heck of a lot leaner than fat!

Give weight lifting a try.. it really does speed up your metabolism and will make you look a lot leaner.

Good luck!
Kiks
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 19:54

BF:

Thanks Net I tried the UPWO and I am sore and loving it lol
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:17

Stats: 290/290/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

Weight training is good and it might be good to use in you're workout routine, but it isn't the only avenue (which is what alot of people think) for getting your muscles into shape and to get them toned. Consider using calisthenics or body weight resistant training such as sit-ups, pull-ups, dips, squats, lunges and push-ups(the basics!) or even hand-stand push-ups which is a goal many people try to reach (alot of people that lift weights can't even do that!) Even if building muscle is a goal for you, calenthenics wouldn't be too far-fetched, I mean look at gymnast. They are probably the most muscular- defined individuals in their area of expertise and they pretty much lift little to no weights but their own. The same goes for boxers, the only weight they lift is pretty much their own body weight and they are cut!! Grant it they do use other heavy apparatus but most of their muscle gain isn't due to weights. For alot of people (especially gymnasts and boxers), not only do these exercises tone their muscles, but they also extend their range of motion, their overall strength and their core stability. And another good thing about this is that you don't have to go to a gym to do it!! Its pretty much free because your body is the only weight you need. If you wanna look leaner and keep you're muscles in shape and also keep the fat off, this would be a excellent avenue to consider since you don't won't to gain a lot of bulky muscle. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to use resistance bands either.

Last edited by aikijj : Thu, Jul-07-05 at 21:35.