Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 06:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Wow. This is incredibly powerful for me today. I'm glad I clicked in. Thank you. I'll bookmark the blog immediately.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 11:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
To be transformed in your relationship to food and health, you must deeply believe that eating and living in a particular way are central to who you are. That is quite different from understanding intellectually that eating well is good for you.

Quote:
Those who have undergone transformation still see their flaws. They may not like them (see Lynn’s piece on The Green House), but they are looking and they are connected.

Transformation is about wanting to take care of yourself in a deep and permanent way. It’s impossible to care for something that remains shrouded from view. So start looking.

I find both of these points to be so true.

Thank you for posting these!
  #168   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 04:07

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
March 24, 2011

You Are Not Alone. You Only Think You Are.

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation.

Transformative Principle #3: Find Others Who Are Transforming

Many of my maintenance patients seem to relate to the following analogy:

Everyone you know is having a great time swimming in the ocean. The only problem is that the ocean is terribly polluted. Large blobs of chocalatey brown oil are bobbing all over the surface. People are swimming through them, swallowing bits and inhaling the fumes, yet they claim they are enjoying themselves. You see this going on and become increasingly concerned about the danger. Suddenly, you see a beautiful island. Exhausted from the drag of the oily sea, you pull yourself up onto the shore. Like a pelican in the Gulf, you are coated in oil. You set to work on the laborious task of cleaning it all off. Finally, spent but relieved, you turn to look at the beautiful place where you've found rescue. There's only one problem: you are all alone on the island.

Almost everyone who tries to accomplish transformation feels like the odd-man out. Eating mindlessly while complaining about health and weight is a cultural norm. We are social beings and living life in another permutation ostracizes us to some degree. It becomes increasingly difficult to avoid the pressure to return to the fold.

Successful transformation is infinitely easier if your island is populated. Thanks to the internet, this is alot easier to do now. After losing over 100 pounds, Lynn began a chat room relationship with a group of women who call themselves "The Maintaining Divas". Years into the process, they remain close and even travel to reunions so they can talk face to face. The internet is already helping you. You are reading this blog and no doubt you subscribe to others as well. Don't be afraid to explore personal connection with other maintainers through blogging, facebook or chats. It is vital.

One of the best pillars for transformation is to have another like-minded person in your household. Generally, this is a spouse or significant other. This seems to work even if the other person's agenda isn't an exact match. In other words, a vegetarian and a primarian might have some issues about which foods to keep in the house, but they will both be working on making health transformation. Many people who are transforming report the "Tag-Along" phenomenon, which is the tendency for signficiant others to start eating and behaving as they do once such behavior is established. No coaxing or entreaties needed. Simply continue your journey and others will often fall in with you.

I also want to encourage you to consider a valuable and completely underutilized idea for connecting: the maintenance group. The members of our Cleveland RTR group have repeatedly said that they really value the opportunity to share thoughts with other people who are in the same boat (or on the same island!). We meet monthly, but a number of people have said they wish it could be more frequently. Lynn and I have discussed the idea of helping interested readers start groups in their areas and you will be seeing a more concerted effort to get this going in the coming months. But the opportunity to form a group right now is open to all of you. Just put a free ad in your local paper or start asking around. Once you have a few people, you can begin meeting. Word of mouth will help you expand.

A study that was published about a year ago in the New England Journal of Medicine concluded that obesity is "catching". A person is increasingly likely to be obese if their friends are obese. Same goes for family members. We are all influenced by social persuasion and cultural norms. Since you are creating your own alternative universe, your next job is to populate that world with a goodly number of like-mineded people. You will find that your island looks even more beautiful when it is inhabited.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...nk-you-are.html
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 03:49

BF:

Quote:
March 25, 2011

It's Not As Serious As All That

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation.

Transformative Principle #4: Release the Death Grip, Restore the Humor

It seems to me that many people who are trying to transform have the feeling that they are holding on for dear life. It’s not uncommon for maintainers to write about their “white-knuckle grip” on new behaviors. Constant vigilance, which is necessary, goes a step further when it takes on a desperate quality. Failures become awful; not to be contemplated. Back slipping becomes an opportunity for self-loathing.

What strange beings we are. Here we are trying to accomplish something that must rank up there with one of the most difficult challenges in the world, yet we don’t want to give ourselves any credit for the attempt. Only success will do. We find ourselves clawing at perfection and hating ourselves for failure.

Transformation is a process of shaping; of getting closer with each new try. I once had a friend whose child was having many difficulties. She told me that a psychologist had described her child’s trajectory by comparing it to the course of an airplane. A plane doesn’t actually fly in a straight line, the therapist had said. At any given moment, it veers off course a bit with the prevailing winds. It goes slightly too high, slightly too low, this way and that, and then corrects. The point is that it eventually gets to its intended landing spot.

Health transformation won’t work if you allow each deviation to provide a reason to quit. If you give up because you get blown off the path,the journey stops there. But since deviations in the trajectory are normal to development, it does us no particular good to grip the process with clenched hands. Relax.

Remember to laugh.

In my book, I write about intensity. I talk about being a “warrior” and being “tough, not moderate” in your approach to transformation. I still believe in those principles and I will write about them later in this series. But let me add another analogy, this one from the tennis world. (I really like analogies!)

My tennis coach was recently teaching me how to hit a volley. The volley is a shot that’s hit directly at you when you are standing up at the net. Because you are so far forward in the court, that shot comes at you fast. You must block the ball with your raquet quickly to avoid getting hit right in the nose. It’s scary standing up there with someone on the other side gunning for you. As a beginner, your tendency is to hold onto the raquet for dear life. Your hands are clenched so tightly that they can hardly move. Your eyes look like saucers. Your jaw is tight. All the muscles in your body are tensed with anticipation. There’s only one problem. As soon as you tighten up, you can’t react to the ball. So my teacher taught me a technique. Keep everything loose and relaxed. Work on that. As the ball approaches, THAT is the time to squeeze the raquet using a firm grip. Relax. React. Grip tight and make the hit. Relax again.

And when the ball hits you in the nose, shake your head and laugh at your imperfect game. Once, just a few years ago, you couldn’t even contact the ball with your raquet.

You can be tough, determined, in fact a better warrior if you learn to relax. You’re on a journey. It’s strange, funny, human, and beautiful. Enjoy the ride.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...s-all-that.html
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 08:45
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Successful transformation is infinitely easier if your island is populated. Thanks to the internet, this is alot easier to do now. After losing over 100 pounds, Lynn began a chat room relationship with a group of women who call themselves "The Maintaining Divas". Years into the process, they remain close and even travel to reunions so they can talk face to face. The internet is already helping you. You are reading this blog and no doubt you subscribe to others as well. Don't be afraid to explore personal connection with other maintainers through blogging, facebook or chats. It is vital.

Yup! we do this already right here!! Our little maintenance weighin is such a great tool for all of us who commit to it!
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 11:28

BF:

Quote:
What strange beings we are. Here we are trying to accomplish something that must rank up there with one of the most difficult challenges in the world, yet we don’t want to give ourselves any credit for the attempt. Only success will do. We find ourselves clawing at perfection and hating ourselves for failure.

Remember to laugh.

You can be tough, determined, in fact a better warrior if you learn to relax. You’re on a journey. It’s strange, funny, human, and beautiful. Enjoy the ride.

I really needed to hear this today.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 04:45

BF:

Quote:
March 26, 2011

You're So Vain? Maybe That's Just Fine

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on the observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation. These and many similar insights into maintenance can be found in my book: Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned. I hope you enjoy it

Transformative Principle #5: Fixing up your exterior has a purpose

Here’s a thought that may generate argument: where transforming is concerned, a dose of vanity may help.

It’s politically correct to talk about accepting ourselves just as we are, about being beautiful on the inside, about a smile being our biggest beauty asset. We all feel comfortable with that. It’s less acceptable to say that we want to lose weight and get healthier so that we will look better. Of course this is a matter of degree just as most things tend to be that are beauty-related. Here’s an example: few people have a problem with cosmetic fixes like makeup, hair color or dental whitening. Many people, on the other hand, are dismissive of liposuction, breast augmentation and face lifts, yet all are beauty enhancements.

We all know that looking better is one of the primary reasons dieters try to lose weight, yet when we talk seriously about matters like trying to make permanent health transformation, the benefit of enhanced looks seems a bit trivial. We are a little bit ashamed, I think, of the beauty motive.

I enjoy watching the physical changes that happen as people shed pounds. I find that I am disappointed, though, when many people don’t change much about their outward appearance except their clothing size. To encourage physical transformation, my medical practice gives a certificate for a free makeover to both women and men who have lost at least 30 pounds. Using the certificate is completely optional, but most people enjoy the experience. A local salon donates this service in the hope that some of our patients will become permanent clients.

Human beings are very visual creatures. We react quickly in response to what we see. That's true when we look at others and it's equally true when we look in the mirror. One of the most poignant comments to this blog was from a reader who said that the greatest thing about her new size was that people had begun to smile at her again. This simplest and most elegant gesture of human acceptance had been witheld when she was overweight and its return was overwhelmingly moving. In human interaction, like it or not, appearance matters.

I've never wanted a tattoo, but I understand the desire to mark oneself with something that is important to you; something that expresses your deepest soul.

I feel that making a conscious change in your exterior is a powerful way to tell both the world and your SELF that you have a different way of being now.

There may be many ways to mark this change. Perhaps for you, the inner happiness you have achieved from better health and mental balance is enough. But if it’s not, consider these options:

Remake your look. Cut or grow your hair. Try a new color or let the silver come through. Wear makeup or stop wearing the makeup you always wore. Ask a friend who has a style you admire to help you find some new ways to dress. Wear a particular bracelet, ring or necklace that is emblematic of your change. Switch from glasses to contacts or from contacts to a new, interesting pair of glasses.

Allow some degree of vanity to bring your commitment forward into the world…it can be a proclamation that defines you to others and reminds you that you have made great progress every time you see your own reflection. Wear your new brand with pride.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...-just-fine.html
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 19:01

BF:

Good principle. I have been wanting to get my eyebrows waxed/done. Been scared about it so haven't made the appointment. Going to now.
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 03:56

BF:

Quote:
March 27, 2011

Forming Your Own Perfect Union

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on the observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation. These and many similar insights into maintenance can be found in my book: Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned.

Transformative Principle #6: Frame Your Food Constitution

If you are a reader of this blog, you’ve frequently heard me talk about the importance of a Food Constitution. If we look at today's western diet, what we see is a complete absence of rules for eating. This void is relatively recent. Those of us who are currently in our 50s and older remember that far from being an anarchic mess, eating once had very particular guidelines. These were administered by our mothers. Among them: Don’t snack between meals. Don’t eat before dinner, you’ll ruin your appetite. No more cookies and candy, they will ruin your teeth. Eat all of your vegetables. And of course: clean your plate, children in Europe are starving.

Besides Mom, eating had other natural controls. One of these was availability, both of food in general and of portion size. Eating behavior was also modulated by finance. Restaurant meals were not affordable for the average Joe except on special occasions. Cheap fast food was non-existent.

Today, we live in a world where the only suggestions about how to eat are generally found in diet books. Those who are not dieting, are happily eating without particular thought to the consequences. As we all know, food is ubiquitous and encouragements to eat are everywhere. Pop culture is based around reckless eating and the guilt of the overly fat. On one hand: The Food Network. On the other: The Biggest Loser.

It is way too difficult to negotiate a transformation in food behavior without knowing specifically what you are aiming at. I suggest, therefore, that you develop a Food Constitution. These are the principles in which you believe as regards healthy diet. They are the rules that you will try your best to follow. They should be well considered and they should make you proud.

I wrote fairly extensively about Food Constitutions in the recent blog on how to eat after weight loss. For more detail on how to establish a Food Constitution, follow the link.

I believe you all know about my preferred diet (Primarian). That certainly doesn’t have to be yours. But I do believe that the basis for any healthy transformation is the elimination of a majority of foods made in factories or with additives, a vast decrease in starch and sugar, and an increase in vegetables, fruits, and omega 3. The rest can be personalized. Vegetarian or not. Primarian or not. Mediterranean, Asian, Vegan…you name it.

A Food Constitution is good, but it should be only the beginning. You also will need a general Health Constitution. Wanting to transform is not enough. You need to know what you want to transorm INTO. To figure this out, search out role models and try following their principles. Read books on health and fitness and extract those elements that speak to you. Rather than writing down these thoughts and keeping them in a drawer somewhere, I suggest that you clearly and succinctly frame them and commit them to memory. Trot them out whenever you are in a challenging situation: in other words, endlessly. When you do, try to be a good citizen and follow the rules.

After all, it’s your country.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...fect-union.html
  #175   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 15:29
Attitude is a Choice

Freeing Your Inner Poindexter
Posted: 28 Mar 2011 08:21 AM PDT
by Barbara Berkeley, MD
Quote:
These Transformative Principles are part of a series on achieving permanent health change that began on March 21. The "principles" are not meant to be gospel. They are simply thoughts of mine that are based on the observation of successful maintainers, personal experience and--to some degree-- my own conjecture. I hope they provide some food for thought as you continue your own quest for health transformation. These and many similar insights into maintenance can be found in my book: Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned.

Transformative Principle #7: Collect Data
Poindexter???

Ok. Maybe I’m the only one in this crowd who’s old enough to remember Felix the Cat’s be-spectacled, genius nephew. Poindexter had an IQ of 222 (but even he probably couldn’t figure out how a cat could have a human nephew). No matter, the point is that despite Poindexter’s nerdiness, his scientific brilliance allowed him to solve all sorts of insoluble problems. We should all take a lesson.
Want to transform? Data collection, note taking, scientific method are all important.
You’ve heard me refer to maintenance as a “science experiment in yourself”. It’s really true. In an earlier post, I talked about the importance of getting in touch with your body by LOOKING at yourself. It’s equally important to look, really look at the path you are on and make sure it’s taking you the right way. Think of it: if you simply drove down a highway without ever checking your direction or looking at any road signs you’d find yourself in Sheboygan when you meant to be in Kansas City. Your rules (aka Constitution) for living and eating are a first vital step, but for most of us they constitute a hypothesis. In other words, we suppose that the rules we set up will work to transform us. The only way to find out if they work as we hoped is to collect data.
What kind of data? Well, what are your end points? They can be general or specific. The most obvious end point is stable weight. In my book, I recommend weighing yourself daily (in the morning and without clothes). This is data collection. Some may object to this fixation on a number and argue that weight fluctuates in ways that are unpredictable, but if you are a daily weigher you will quickly discover that this practice reveals many subtleties that are new to you. You will learn what salt and carbohydrates do to your weight acutely. You will learn about the effects of monthly cycles, weather, sleeplessness, and stress. Information is never useless. For those in the process of transformation, it is the currency of life change.
You may want to collect data about body measurements, about muscle mass, about calories, points, fat grams, records of foods eaten and so on. You will certainly want to keep yearly records of blood pressure, lipids, fasting blood sugar and other basic blood tests. Be sure to collect data on the subjective elements of change too: things like hunger levels, periods when you feel more or less motivated, mental blocks to exercise, and your response to stress. And always ask: is my plan working?
Some transformed people continue to keep records forever and others let this practice go. Some enjoy using technology to record data. There are many programs available for smart phones or computers that allow information collection. For Luddites there is also the good old paper and pencil option.
Where data collection is concerned, more is not necessarily better. Find the data points that best help you to know if your rules for living are working. They should tell you, at minimum, if you are at relatively stable weight, eating a diet that is health promoting rather than harmful, at a good level of fitness, if you are maintaining interest in your health and well being, and still motivated to go on.
If your data shows that your plan is failing, do what Poindexter would do and make scientific changes in design. Back off those extra carbs, the ones you thought you could tolerate. Change your form of exercise from weights to something more aerobic. Take out lunch and add a nutrition bar instead. Look at everything carefully and make planned interventions.
Get on that white lab coat and don those thick glasses. It’s not only effective, it’s fun and interesting. As Felix would say, “Righteo”!!
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 15:31
Attitude is a Choice

OMG! This one is so me!!
I became a total data collector! Never had been before...but I somehow got that I had to learn about my body and used my daily data as feedback....to adjust my food, my quantites, my starches....still do to maintain!!
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 16:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

This is so right. One of the "tough" things about maintenance is remembering that you're never, ever "normal." Periodically (if not every day) it's important to do a reality check and keep data--at least for a while.

I'm thrilled that I have data on Fitday going back 5 or 6 years. Not every moment, but enough. I can see that I have mostly been doing a good job. I can also see that my "ideal" weight isn't the weight I can most comfortably maintain. So...not to worry so much.

There are many uses of personal data and I'm for making it a lifelong experiment. Who knows? Maybe someday science will ask us!
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 05:43

BF:

Quote:
March 31, 2011

The Way We Live Now

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Transformative Principle #8: Keep Your Eye on the Future

America is all about today, but Americans tend to forget that today creates tomorrow. The way we live now is at this moment shaping the way we will live ten years from now. It's tough to look forward when there are so many fun temptations right in front of us, but a long term perspective is essential for health transformation. Those who have transformed successfully do a good job of keeping their eye on the future.

As you work out who you want to become in this new incarnation, you will also want to give serious thought to where you want to be as you age. It is my feeling that this is particularly important right now. The reason is our rapidly changing technology. As I've written previously, I believe that the coming years--the years in which you and I will be aging significantly---are going to be unlike any time in our past. If we can keep our basic physical plant healthy, we will have the opportunity to benefit from amazing technologies that will have the potential to extend life and wellness. Right now, my 97 year old father is awaiting the imminent approval of a heart valve that can be inserted through a leg artery and threaded into the heart without surgery. He is a candidate for this because his general health is good. If we heedlessly allow ourselves to be devoured by diabetes, high blood pressure and other preventable illness we may well throw away such opportunities. With a basically healthy body, our active years will have the potential to be greatly extended by sophisticated "replacement parts". For those who have actively transformed, it's simply not worth trading this future for a Big Mac and fries.

If you have planned for your retirement needs, you know that you sleep well at night. In the same way, it is wonderfully comforting to know that you are doing everything you can to take care of your future body. Sleep tight.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...e-live-now.html
  #179   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 05:46

BF:

Quote:
April 04, 2011

Avoiding Re-Addiction

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Transformative Principle #8: Avoid, Desensitize, Feel the Zen

The kind of food we eat in the United States is incredibly drug-like.

In my book, I wrote about research done at Princeton in the lab of Dr. Bartley Hoebel. Hoebel's studies with rats have shown that sugars and drugs cause many identical brain responses. Recently, Dr. Nora Volkow, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse discussed her belief that chocolate is just another addictive substance.

Most of us know that sweets have addictive properties. Where I part company with the mainstream is in my belief that starches too can trigger pleasure eating. In fact, virtually anything that the body ultimately makes into sugar has this ability. Perhaps for some people, the slower release of sugars that occurs with fiber-filled whole grains blunts this response. For others though, starch and sugar are both dangerous substances.

In order to transform, we have to find a way to cut down the stimulatory messages that are being broadcast throughout our environment. As Volkow explains, we have been conditioned to know that delicious foods create pleasure. When we see these foods or are otherwise exposed, a chain of primal response is released. The only action we can take is to inhibit ourselves and say no. A life of continual inhibition is hardly bearable and doesn't seem to work. In essence, the reason for weight regain is that eventually it's impossible to keep turning these foods down.

So what do transformed maintainers do? Here is what I observe:

1. Through disciplined practice, transformed people have spent enough time avoiding addictive foods that their response to them is blunted. This makes it much easier to ignore previously addictive foods or say no to them. However, there is still danger. Re-contact with these foods is often enough to restore the original craving cycle. Hence the difficulty with advice that suggests consuming addictive foods "in moderation".

2. Those with transformed eating have discovered workable subsitutions for addictive foods. Over time, these much less harmful foods fill the void and even become preferable.

3. There does seem to be a kind of desensitization that some transformed eaters achieve. This is a somewhat advanced skill, but it can be practiced once you feel reasonably in control of addictive foods. I believe that for some people, putting themselves directly in confrontation with foods and "staring them down" helps to dull their effect. After awhile, you may find that you can create a sort of zen state in which you are protected from the signals sent by these foods. Your brain learns to damp down their siren call. This helps enormously as it requires you to spend much less time on defense.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...that-began.html
  #180   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 05:51

BF:

Quote:
April 05, 2011

Let the Spring Cleaning Begin: Part 1

By Lynn Haraldson

I recently entered my fifth year of maintenance, a time at which experts say the odds of regain are significantly lower. Telling someone like me something like that is like telling the guys protecting a nuclear missile it’s OK to take a nap. Yup. Something’s going to blow up.

“You’ve kept your weight off for a long time!” sing the anti-maintenance Sirens. “What’s one cookie or a week or three off from exercise going to matter? You’re safe!”

Riiiight.

It’s not enough in maintenance to rest on the laurels of time. Maintenance is constant, not a hail Mary pass. Last month, Barbara launched Refuse to Regain Season of Transformation, principals she has identified as imperative to permanent weight loss and maintenance based on her observations and experiences in the weight-management field and in her own personal maintenance life.

When I read Barbara’s transformation principals, I realized I’ve been visiting that Siren’s home of complacency far too often since September. Visits that were spurred on, no doubt, by significant life changes and a really rotten winter. But it’s time to throw open the windows on my Green House and dust off my perspective of this weight maintenance life I’ve chosen. Over the next few weeks, I will respond to Barbara’s transforming principals (and some of your comments) with a few of my awakened thoughts with the hope of keeping my head in the game and silencing the anti-maintenance Sirens.

Transformative Principle #1: Transformation is about belief. But belief can develop through habit.

“…[Y]ou must deeply believe that eating and living in a particular way are central to who you are.”

While conducting research for a chapter of my book, I found a couple of interesting, but not surprising, studies. The first was that at any given time, 45 percent of American women are on a diet, according to the Society for Women’s Health Research, and those who aren’t on a diet are often thinking about it. The other was a survey of 4,000 women found that, on average, women go on two diets a year with each diet lasting about five weeks. By the time a woman reaches age 70, she’s been on 104 diets and spent a total of 10 years counting calories. A quarter of the women admitted that despite their attempts to lose weight, they didn't lose anything at all, and 41 percent said they felt they were constantly on a diet.

I am those women. I’ve trekked up and down the scale between 128 and 300 pounds for the last 29 years, spending a total of five years dieting, 20 years gaining, and four years hanging around some goal weight that seemed like the right scale number at the time.

It’s that word – “diet” – that needs to be quashed in maintenance. At least “diet” as it pertains to losing weight, not the style of eating itself (paleo diet, vegetarian diet, etc.). “Diet” doesn’t imply permanence. “Diet” is what you do to get to where you want to be so you can go back to “normal.”

Since my surgery last June, I’ve gained 8 pounds, and that “diet” mentality has been bugging me like a gnat near hairspray. Instead of taking a deep breath and realizing that I just need to tweak a few things, at first I panicked and thought, ‘I need to go on a diet! I have to lose this weight NOW!’

Yeah, that works.

Not.

Moments of panic are common in maintenance. But the key to successful maintenance is bringing ourselves back to earth – away from that diet mentality – when there’s a change on the scale. Thoughtful introspection and a careful examination of food in and energy expended is much more productive than panic. Eight pounds? I don’t like it, but the gain has been stopped in its tracks because, as a maintainer, eating clean and exercising are as much a part of my life as breathing. Maintaining IS what I want.

Transformative Principle #2: Transformation requires re-engaging with your body.

“It’s surprisingly easy to live entirely in your head, blocking out not only visuals but the messages that your body is sending.”

When I was on Oprah in November 2007, she asked me a question that was not on the script.

“Can you even now look in the mirror and recognize yourself?” she asked.

“I feel like the person I am on the inside is the person I am on the outside. I feel like I match now,” I replied.

Boy did THAT sentiment take a long time to reach, that place of balance. And in the years since the show, with diagnosis after diagnosis of osteoarthritis in joint after joint, I’ve learned that listening to my body is the only way to maintain, both in terms of food and exercise. However, I’m not always a good listener.

In the last few months, I’ve allowed my body to acquiesce to my mind which said, “You’re busy, things are changing, life is chaotic. It’s OK to skip a workout. Or 20.” Justification is the anti-maintenance Siren’s mantra.

But you know and I know that…ummm…no it’s NOT OK to skip a workout if you can help it. Working out works out more than the body. That incredible endorphin rush can last a long time, often changing our moods, decisions, work.

So it is within the remembering of that mind-body connectivity that I challenged my body last month to get back into its pre-surgery condition, at least in terms of upper body strength. I’ve had to modify the lower body/cardio workout only because my knees demand it. But where there’s a will, there’s a way, right? And in maintenance, aren’t we all about the will?

Regarding our body image and how we see ourselves, both as emotional and physical creatures, I found these recent RTR comments particularly poignant.

Jan wrote: “I have had massages to try and feel my body in a different way. Not easy at first, delightful now.”

Allowing someone to place their hands on our bodies, at whatever weight we are, requires a level of trust that is difficult for many of us, including yours truly. The rolls, the squishy parts, the sagging, the not-so-attractive parts of me become all I think about when those hands are on me, be it a doctor, a chiropractor, a massage therapist or a lover. To learn to breathe through it and accept that who I am underneath my clothes is really who I am, is a lesson I think I’ll be working on for a long time.

Teresa wrote: “I used to dodge a camera but now have learned to love it and my husband takes lots of pictures of me now. I study the photos as if I'm trying to commit the image to memory. It's been a powerful tool in my transformation.”

Bravo! I used photographs to chronicle my weight loss. Whenever I’m in a funk about where I am now as opposed to where I’ve been, I go back and look at those photos. I wasn’t a fan of photographs when I was 300 pounds. Hated them. But I now wish I had more of them. After all, I was still me. Alas, weight did, but it shouldn’t have, defined me.

Vicky wrote: “I know full well I have subscribed wholly to the tyranny of our society's requirements for the female form, and I don't know how to unsubscribe. I really want out of this self-loathing.”

I like the song by Jon McLauglin called “Beautiful Disaster.”

I downloaded it to my iPod because it describes in many ways the feelings of insecurity I still have, even at age 47.

One of the lines that gets me most is:

“And every magazine tells her she's not good enough, The pictures that she's seen make her cry.”

I often get that feel – that pull – to look like what the magazines and society in general think I should look like. Even at my age. There are some really beautiful, put-together 40- and 50- and 60-somethings out there, and I feel…well…not so much in competition…but a need to fulfill the look. Vicky, as you know, this isn’t just a teenage thing.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...gin-part-1.html