Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default The Number of Seats in Low Carb Heaven

I'm putting this here because as a less active thread it won't get pushed down too quickly. I'm also hoping that this being a "maintainer" area that it might be a natural stop for curious newbies.

There is no such thing as 'cheating' on this WOE. If refined white sugar finds it's way to your menu today it's because you put it there. That's not cheating. Putting an ace of spades on the bottom of the deck and then dealing it to yourself is cheating.

Cheating is doing something, generally considered to be illegal, with the intent of putting yourself farther ahead of others around you so that you are in a position of advantage. How does eating 1/2 chocolate cake give you an edge over me? There are NOT a limited number of seats in Low Carb Heaven. Eating 1/2 a chocolate cake is self-destructive - but it's not cheating.

Self Destruction to Feel Pain Eating that chocolate cake just put you farther from your own goal, and caused you to be depressed where yesterday you were happy. If you want to feel pain, next time, just set fire to your hair - that won't cause an insulin spike.

Self Destruction to Get Reassurance
We all jump in ("poor baby..it's ok don't worry") everytime a person admits to being self-destructive. Why should this behaviour be rewarded? Unfortunately that 1/2 chocolate cake often causes a lowering of the scale (for a myriad of reasons) and often reassures the loser that "cheating is good". That's OK, life is about learning lessons the hard way. That second 1/2 of chocolate cake won't have the same scale result. If you don't believe me, go ahead and eat it. If eating chocolate cake caused us to lose weight, there'd be a "Chocolate Cake Diet"

Self Destruction Because You Don't Like Yourself.
If you didn't like yourself just a LITTLE, you wouldn't be here. You wouldn't be registered on this board, and you certainly wouldn't be reading the maintenance area. Figure out what it is about yourself you DO like and dwell on that a lot.

Self Destruction Because 'There was nothing else I could eat'
Yeah yeah - the mother-in-law who serves carrot soup, thickened with potato and flour and Wonder Bread on the side. When you eat it because you are a nice person and want to please your mother in law, WHAT you ate just became part of today's plan. It wasn't self destructive at all. Do the carb count and include it in your journal. Like this: Todays Carbs 8,567 (dinner at MIL's - mental note - stop eating at MIL's house)

Self Destruction Because 'I didn't know it had carbs'.
"It was an accident officer, I hit that car because I didn't know it was parked. The second time I hit is was because I was just so mad at myself for hitting it the first time!". If you are ever fooled by carb count, let it be only once. Nobody's going to believe you the second time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

LC - This is a great post!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 16:20

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default He He He

I can dig it!

I record every thing I eat in my journal and post every day's menu no matter what it contains.

I have noticed that some will "skip" the days that they added foods that they feel quilty about and pick up their journals on the good days. For me, that doesn't work. I eat what I eat and don't rationalize not recording it in the hope that it will just disappear.

If I am living a diet that I can live with for the rest of my life, I have to be honest with myself about what I am going to include and when/why I include it. Being honest, for me, means keeping the food journal honest as well. When I am putting it on paper I am facing my own choices and consequences.

LC, you really are a deep thinker--thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 16:31

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Thumbs up

amen!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 01:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow Sponge!

Are you actually advocating that low-carbers educate themselves and take responsibility for their actions? What a concept!

OK, sarcasm off.

Very well put Sponge. What about Self Destruction Not to Feel Pain?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 05:00

Karen - "Self Destruction not to feel pain" ?

I could buy into that if this was a board about alcohol or heroin. I don't think a carb high gets one high enough to "forget" about dieting, or needing to lose weight, or a crappy job, or self loathing, or an aching back. If eating carbs made a person temporarily "forget" about their station in life.... then this would make sense.

I think eating carbs is a pain-giving thing not an escape. Like the person who repeatedly bangs their head against a wall, or who picks their cuticles until they bleed. The objective for them is to increase pain to support self-loathing - immediate justification that: "I am unworthy of being treated well, even by myself". The drunk and the heroin addict are looking for the pain avoidance - the 'mind-numbing-forget'.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Excellant post Victoria! U always have such wisdom. How ya doing girl??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:49
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Karen - "Self Destruction not to feel pain" ?

If we assume that sugar is a drug, then why not? Besides the sugar high, there is also the process of eating that is temporarily numbing and feeling so lousy afterwards that there is nothing else that you feel.

The food addict is usually addicted to carbs. You don't find many people addicted to steak or asparagus. I also have a sneaking suspicion that those who leave low-carbing after being successful at it and regain weight might fall into this category. Why do people on this WOE gravitate towards carbs? Once you're past the physical addiction, it's something in your head that makes you crave them. What is it then, that thing that makes you crave when you know that it's really bad for you.

Of course, as with any addiction, it doesn't make any difference no matter how much of the drug you take. It won't change what ails you. It is, as you pointed out, pain giving, which is part of the vicious cycle of addiction.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 16:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

If we assume that sugar is a drug, then why not? Besides the sugar high, there is also the process of eating that is temporarily numbing and feeling so lousy afterwards that there is nothing else that you feel.

The food addict is usually addicted to carbs. You don't find many people addicted to steak or asparagus.
Karen

I don't dispute the addiction aspect, however I don't ever remember blacking out on chocolate chip cookies. When I used to light a cigarette the high was minor compared to other drugs, and I never did it to avoid pain. To give myself comfort perhaps. And maybe that's a further angle we should examine.

What do you think of: "Self Destruction as a way to Comfort the Inner Child" ?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 20:33
Forum Founder

BF:

I'm not a big 'inner child' follower, but I do have an 'inner chef'.

What's the difference between comforting oneself with a substance, or using it to avoid pain?

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 05:06

I love discussing issues with you. You make me think.

The difference is, it is possible to receive comfort without the pain going away.

I'm sad, I sob, I eat cookies - that's a hug for comfort, I still sob.

I'm sad, I sob, I drink 1/4 bottle of Jack Daniels, I wake up in Saskatchewan, surrounded my new 'friends'.

I'm not convinced that pain is "avoided" by carb eating, in the same way it is avoided in other addictions that are more physically altering. But I do recognize that there is a comfort element.

PS, I don't eat cookies or drink Jack Daniels - just for clarification in case anyone reading this isn't sure
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 10:29

BF:
Default ROFL

Ok I know this is suppose to be a serious discussion however I cracked up when Victoria posted "when I drink JD I wake up in saskatchewan" When we eat carbs it raises our seritonin levels giving us a short "high" However we are still in control of what we are doing. The same cant be said for someone addicted to drugs or alcohol unfortuantely.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:06
Forum Founder

BF:

Bourbon and chocolate was one of my favourite flavour combinations. But bourbon, sour dried cherries and chocolate? Gives me the shivers...

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that food addiction can be as serious as any other addiction.

It just appears to be a slower, "gentler" process. Anorexia and severe overeating are two sides to the same coin. You may not wake up in Saskatchewan surrounded by new friends, but you may wake up in the hospital with esophageal bleeding from throwing up. You may end up not having any friends because it's more important to stay at home in the dark surrounded by your favourite binge foods. Food becomes more important to you than anything else in your life. You would and do lie, cheat and steal for it.

Now that's an addiction!

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:21

BF:

I guess maybe I didnt spend enough time pondering these posts before replying. As a person who has suffered an eating disorder I can certainly see your point karen. I do truely believe tho that whatever your addiction may be....before U get to where the physical craving becomes a need, it starts out as an emotional problem that U are trying to mask by using "something" to make U feel better.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 04:56

Excellent perspectives Gale and Karen - I am seeing the light