Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Italian Stuffed Peppers

I made these for supper guests last night and they were a big hit. I fed seven people with this and got a lot of complements. One of my guests ate two of them, these things were big! He said they were the best stuffed peppers he had ever eaten. I hope you enjoy them as well.

Italian Stuffed Peppers

4 pounds ground chuck(0g)
1/2 cup textured vegetable protein(6g)
3 eggs(1.8g)
1-8oz can tomato sauce(17.6g)
1/2 cup cream(4g)
1/4 cup water(0g)
2 tablespoons dried minced onion(8.3g)
2 teaspoons garlic powder(3.5g)
2 teaspoons salt(0g)
2 teaspoons pepper(1.6g)
2 teaspoons onion powder(3.2g)
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning(3g)
1/4 cup chopped parsley(.5g)
1/4 cup chopped chives(.5g)
5 large bell peppers(36.3g)
9-(2-1/2 x 2 inch) square chunks of mozzarella cheese about 2 ounces each(13.8g)
1-6oz can of tomato paste(32.8g)

Preheat oven to 375°

Put everything except peppers, cheese and tomato paste in a very large bowl and with your hands, mix and kneed the mixture until the vegetable protein softens and soaks up the extra moister and the mixture becomes firm enough to mold.

Wash the peppers and cut them in half length wise and remove the seeds. Place them in a foil covered baking pan. I used the bottom of my broiling pan and had room for 9 pepper halfs.

Divide meat into 9 balls; insert a chunk of cheese into the middle of each ball and make sure the cheese is completely covered all around.

Place the meatballs into the pepper cups you just made.

Open the tomato paste and spoon it into a bowl. A little at a time add just short of two tomato paste cans of water, stirring to make a smooth sauce.

Spoon this sauce over each stuffed pepper and sprinkle each with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Make a foil tent over the pan making sure that the foil is not touching the tops of the peppers but that it is sealed to the pan all the way around.

Bake in a 375° oven for 1-1/2 hours.

Total carb count 132.9
Carb count for each pepper, if you eat the pepper=14.76
Carb count for each pepper, if you just eat the meat=10.76
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%
Default Pasta Sauce

Has anybody trie the Bella Vita Pasta Sauces? I've heard they are wonderful but wanted other opinions. Tired of buying things I usually just end up throwing out.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 21:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%

No, we don't get very many low carb products like pasta sauces around here.

I can get tomato paste and sauce with no sugar added so I usually just make my own and throw it in my crockpot to cook all day.

Alfredo sauce is way too easy to make and home made is so good, I'd never buy that.