Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 16:42

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Restless leg Syndrome

So I finally had a sleep study done and it said I had mild sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. They recommeded a Cpap (even though it was mild) and medication for the restless leg syndrome. Any of you have this? I'm new to this diagnosis but I've read that a variety of underlying causes are implicated. I don't even know if it's that big of a deal or if its the pharma industry selling me on a drug that I don't need.

Any advice? (By the way I take magnesium every night so I doubt a mag. deficincyt is the cause)

Last edited by Whited : Wed, Nov-02-16 at 07:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 21:52

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I had a pretty hefty case of RLS for many years and had to take advil (which worked for me) for years. But the RLS stopped when I went low carb. I do take magnesium, but I see you are already doing that... I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I do send sympathy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 23:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My DH surely must have had this. Since going LC it has gotten much better but I can tell if he has eaten carbs because it pops up again. Strange how it's only when sleeping...When he was at his worse I could time it every 30 seconds.
I've read to take Magnesium with calcium which he does now.
Be sure that you are taking 2 mag which is the daily dose on the bottle, maybe yours too. My DH was only taking one when I pointed that out to him.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 05:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Over two and a half years ago, I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. It was causing some real problems for me including atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, and lack of energy and mental alertness. The doctor's response was to put me on a CPAP, which was the last thing I wanted. My question to him was, "Can anyone eliminate sleep apnea by lifestyle changes?" He indicated that losing weight and regular exercise can help. So, we agreed that I'd give that a shot and come back in 6 months. My thinking after the doctor visit was that since I hadn't had sleep apnea for most of my life, what had changed or what was I doing that caused it to happen? I realized at the time, that for me, the weight loss was paramount. I immediately went very low carb, eliminated all grains, potatoes, and starch and in 6 months, lost 40 pounds. While I did exercise, it was the dietary modifications that made this happen. When I went back to the doctor after 6 months, I no longer had sleep apnea, had normal blood pressure, and no more afib. I believe the doctor expected to be putting me on the CPAP device that day, but the approach I took prevented that from happening. Since that time, I've made LCHF a way of life.

I can't help with the RLS, but I'm convinced that all the symptoms I had from the sleep apnea, the HBP, the afib, the fatigue, the bouts of hypoglycemia, and several others were all part of the Metabolic Syndrome I had developed over time. My guess is that RLS is one of those related symptoms. Today, I'm very active with workouts 4-5 times a week, but I'm doing regular resistance training, walking, hiking, and I'm not doing any chronic cardio or living in an OCD fitness world. I do take chelated magnesium supplements twice a day along with K2, and D3, and my muscle cramping disappeared when I started the magnesium. Hope this helps, it appears you're on a path to a good weight, which was the key for me in getting rid of the apnea. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 05:44

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

GRB5111 - lucky you! I lost 216 lbs. (before failing maintenance) and still had my sleep apnea. But fortunately, I also had an awesome sleep study center tech and pulmonologist who helped me find a non-torturous mask that I came to like, which allowed me to sleep on my side, as I prefer. For me, I will always have sleep apnea...I did kick my high bp of about 30 years though with diet change and weight loss...that was a great thing
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 09:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I'm a anti-prescription sort of person.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago. I did not choose to treat it.

I've always been a person who kicks in her sleep.

I've been using LCHF for weight control since 1972 and it's always a struggle.

I also have a very high RBC, Hemocrit and hemoglobin count.

No doctors have helped me with this, but I've come to some conclusions of my own:

I believe that the sleep apnea has caused me to have hypoxia, which in turn caused my bone marrow to overproduce the red blood cells. My count was already high in 2014 when I had my sleep test and there's no knowing how many years I'd had the sleep apnea. IMO, I did myself harm by refusing to wear the mask. Now I don't know exactly what to do about my condition. If I don't treat it (well, if the doctor continues to ignore it) my high red blood count could cause some serious damage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes serious consequences occur over long periods of time. Maybe be a pushy patient and make certain you get what you need to maintain your health. Don't be like me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 12:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

A non-drug intervention can be sleeping under a weighted blanket.

http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.c...s-leg-syndrome/

Turns out there's lots of conditions a weighted blanket can help. I got mine from Sensory Goods a month ago and it did wonders.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 17:53

BF:

Thanks all for your answers -- I'll bet I'd like a weighted blacket as I probably have mild autism.

Meme -- I take a powdered form of chelated Magnesium Glycinate. I take one scoop (serving size) which is 400mg nightly. Do you all think this is enough?

The thing about this study is -- If the speep apnea were severe or even moderate I would have no problem using the mask. I actually wore one I picked up at a garage sale (new -- don't freak out) that was set at a low level (8). I knew I had it but didn't have the money for a sleep study. After losing weight on low carb eating I have been sleeping for the last year with no mask. I suspect the apnea has improved as the tech said it was almost boarderline normal / mild sleep apnea as long as I sleep on my side -- a little worse on my back.

Hoever the restless leg thing is weird. It doesn't wake me up that I know of. of course the study sent the report to my doctor who imediatly prescribed medication. All I wanted was to see if it was mild, moderate, or severe before I took medicine. Also does ithe condition affect blood pressure (which mine is high)?

You'd think I was asking something highly classified (I really hate the new computerized, corprate, impersonal medical system we have today). I called the doctor that read the sleep report and they refused any info. and told me to ask my primary doctor -- I asked if I could get a copy of the sleep study and they refused. So I called my doctor's office (and of course talked to secretaries) and they said I couldn't see the doctor (no appointments unless sick) for one and 1/2 months. So just take the medicine and shut up I suppose -- don't even think of seeing your own report. The secretary asked why I would even want to see it and I told her that I'd like to make my own informed decision before I put drugs in me -- she was confused and a little put out.

I wonder -- is this reatless leg thing just an annoyance? It doesn't seem to bother me. Or does it mess with my blood pressure? I'll keep on trying to find out the severity but it doesn't look good.

Thanks everyone -- any ideas or comments welcome.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

That is now not legal. They MUST give you your own records, if you request them. Here's what I'd do: I would walk into the office, and pleasantly tell them that I was there because I wanted copies of all my medical records. If they asked why, I'd say because they belong to me, and because legally, I have the right to get them.

I'd also not take meds for RLS. I have had a lot of injuries to my ankles and feet, and get cramping in my lower legs and feet pretty easily.

I find that mag citrate helps, as does Tang Kwei (also spelled Dong Quai) which is used in traditional Chinese medicine for both menstrual cramps and plain old muscle cramps.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 20:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Restless legs is not a cramping or from injuries.
It appears to me to be more of a neurological impulse.
From what I've read Mag with Calcium, both at the same time helps.
I don't believe it is anything dangerous just annoying for me being that the bed will shake and wake me up but not DH.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-16, 12:46

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I restless leg is not causing you trouble, why mess with it? I have RLS and it kept me up ALL night EVERY night. It sounds to me like you might be getting some very bad advice. And you absolutely have a right to information and your medical records and a doctor's consult!!!!!
My RLS went away 90 percent when I started eating low carb, and I take a broad spectrum magnesium every night to deal with the rest of it. It still irritates me a few minutes each night, but then it goes away.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 08:33

BF:

Good point. Actually I caught the senior tech at the sleep clinic the other day and he was real nice, a very down to earth guy, and he showed me my sleep test graph from the study. The doctor's office was unhelpful but he readily talked to me. He said I actually have pmls not rls. He said what its doing is knocking me out of stage 2 sleep into stage 1 on occasion. I did show a lot of leg movement but I haven't fallen out of bed yet and it doesn't fully awaken me. He said it would be a problem if I'm waking with headaches or if I'm falling asleep at the wheel etc. I told him I know he can't give medical opinions or anything but I asked him if these were his readings, would he take medication. He said no. Also my sleep apnea is pretty mild -- just a little worse if I sleep on my back. I'm not afraid of the mask or anything (I wore one -- not prescribed, for a couple of years when I was 100 pounds heavier) but I did ask him again if these were his readings would he use a mask, and again he said if it were him, he wouldn't. This guy has been doing this for years and years so that's good enough for me.

I think I might check into a weighted blanket. Also I might take calcium with the magnesium I already take at night.

If I gain back a bunch of weight then its another story but I'm trying hard for that not to happen. Hopefully (I've been doing low carb for two years now) I'm not becoming iron depleted or some other issue.

Thanks again

Last edited by Whited : Mon, Nov-07-16 at 08:44.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 09:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Whited - be very careful about taking supplemental calcium. It can accumulate in places where you don't want it, like the arteries. There is a lot of recent information about this: https://www.healthunits.com/news/ca...-heart-disease/ is one source.

Magnesium is extremely important for many reasons: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/M...thProfessional/ I take a Chelated Magnesium (glycinate/lysinate chelate) supplement (Doctor's Best) of two pills in the morning and two about an hour or two before bedtime every day. This gives me 400mg of supplemental magnesium a day. For me, and always YMMV, it's eliminated muscle cramps during workouts and sleep. However, magnesium does far more than that as it works well with vitamin D and calcium for transport. Based on current information, I eliminated all calcium supplements, as I get plenty from the food I eat. As for RLS or PMLS, hope you find a solution. Magnesium may help, but most don't consume enough.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Nov-07-16 at 09:54.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-16, 20:20

BF:

Thanks -- I'll probably skip the calcium altogether. The doctor called me and is trying to talk me into the Cpap machine. He said what if you gain your weight back? -- Well then I'll have a lot of other problems to centend with too.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-16, 07:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Chelated magnesium actually gives us feedback in the form of loose bowels, and that's a signal to cut back. I was taking 7 or 8 a day at one point, topping off a deficiency, and now two a day work well.

The more I study weighted blankets, the more I discover the wide variety of conditions they can help with. Improvise with a fishing vest and bags of beans? A heavy quilt, multiply folded, was my goto while I waited for mine.