Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 23:43

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

glad you're on track, thinking it through and not giving in to something that doesn't have to control us, although it is an ever ending battle...

I am not promoting these websites I am going to list for you. If I could find the same thing for less elsewhere, I'd go there instead, but this is where I currently get the following:

D-Care products (D for Diabetic):
Sugar Blocker (gymnema sylvestre)
Antioxidant Formula
Diabetic Multi-Vitamin Formula

go to: www.d-care.com for the above and follow the link "where to buy" and order by internet or phone at familymeds online store

Herbal Products:

For diabetes control: Mai Wei Di Huang Wan
For lowering cholesterol: Ling Zhi (Reishi Mushroom)
For lowering blood pressure: Er Long Zuo Ci Wan/Er Ming Zuo Ci Wan (either one)

go to: www.chinamedicinemall.com

click on: products' chinese pinyin names (A-Z)

don't know if you'll need the other stuff, but I listed it as I get that at the herbal website also.. Remember, monitor often when making changes...
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 03:58
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/235/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

By adding fat, what do you mean? Salad dressings, cheeses, that type of thing?
Ever since I started taking insulin, I have been gaining. I hate it.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 05:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
125 avg shouldn't be hard to bring down a bit... I'd like to know your daily carb count, exercise level and if you've tried gymnema slyvestre.... also chromium picolinate and cinnamon. You're so close... But, hey if you gotta take the meds, do it... Realize, you'll have better success later with more weight loss.. Good luck .....

My daily carb count is generally in the 30-60 grams per day range.

When I am doing well I am close to 30 say about 40; otherwise I go up to 60.

When I have a treat I will go over 60 up to as high as 100. I know I cannot do that often. Everything I read is I should get used to 30-60 and be as close to 30 as possible if not on the button.

My exercise has been walks probably 2-3 times per week for 1-2 miles.

I know exercise helps I have seen it. So, yes, a 30-60 minute walk each day after a meal + 2 hours helps. That I am aware.

Remember, I am trying to see if meds work and they do and you are right I am pretty close. My A1C would still come in under 6.0 with an average glucose reading of 125.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 06:37

To Dancinbr:

I was about where you are now at one point. In my experience, I found that keeping the carbs below 20g daily until I lost about 1/3 of my goal kept my blood sugars lower. As I lost more weight, I felt like walking more. In the beginning, I didn't exercise at all. Now, over 1/2 way on the weight loss, with almost a 3 month stall, I can tolerate up to 60-75g per day and still keep blood sugar in good control. I am making adjustments now in my diet, trying to break the stall, but haven't found the right combination yet.. My blood sugars are stable and that is my main goal, but I will get that last 25 pound off sooner or later.....

To Woodsy:

I am guessing that she meant not increasing carbs while reducing her proteins resulted in higher fat percentage as she probably kept her calorie count close to the same as she made adjustments in lowering her protein intake....... But I am replying to you because you mentioned "weight gain" and you're on insulin... Dang! Don't give up... I hope you can reverse a few things... Were you managing without insulin or medications before? What diet are you following now? What is your BG average with the insulin? Talk it up, sometimes just saying it all out loud can make you see your situation more clearly... Good luck and I'm listening...

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Sat, Jun-30-07 at 06:37. Reason: punctuation
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:48

Plan: insulin resistance diet
Stats: 168/162/127 Female 5 feet 4 l/2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default May I ask what books you go by?

Lisa N Congratulations. Could you tell me what books or sites have inspired you and been of help to you. My Doc says I am Pre Diabetic and has me on Metformin. I am overweight and started losing weight seriously on June 1st. Admittedly I need all the help I can get, encouragement too! So far I have read the Insulin Resistance Diet. I am thinking of whether to go vegan or not... anyone with pros and cons? Thank you, Sundown
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 09:13

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Sundown, some good books are Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Dr. Atkins Diabetes Revolution, and Drs Michael and Mary Eades Protein Power Lifeplan.

Stick around here, and you'll get some encouragment People like Lisa, Kitty, Ralph, Cajunboy, and more are doing terrific things in the battle with diabetes.

Vegan..... if you want to eat low carb, being vegan will make it harder. Meat makes up a large percentage of most (not all) low carbers menus.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/high fat
Stats: 278/211/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
To Dancinbr:

To Woodsy:

I am guessing that she meant not increasing carbs while reducing her proteins resulted in higher fat percentage as she probably kept her calorie count close to the same as she made adjustments in lowering her protein intake....... But I am replying to you because you mentioned "weight gain" and you're on insulin... Dang! Don't give up... I hope you can reverse a few things... Were you managing without insulin or medications before? What diet are you following now? What is your BG average with the insulin? Talk it up, sometimes just saying it all out loud can make you see your situation more clearly... Good luck and I'm listening...

That is correct Cajunboy, I did not increase my carbs or calorie intake. I switched Fat for protein. AND I am down 2 more pounds!
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 11:15

Another good book is "Eat Fat, Get Thin" by Barry Groves, PhD
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 13:49

BF:

Quote:
To Dancinbr:

I was about where you are now at one point. In my experience, I found that keeping the carbs below 20g daily until I lost about 1/3 of my goal kept my blood sugars lower. As I lost more weight, I felt like walking more. In the beginning, I didn't exercise at all. Now, over 1/2 way on the weight loss, with almost a 3 month stall, I can tolerate up to 60-75g per day and still keep blood sugar in good control. I am making adjustments now in my diet, trying to break the stall, but haven't found the right combination yet.. My blood sugars are stable and that is my main goal, but I will get that last 25 pound off sooner or later.....

To Woodsy:

Hello Cajunboy - Actually I am what you call a fit fatty.

I do aerobics all winter long for 40-60 minutes on a treadmill 3.4mph at a 4 degree incline and maintain a 80% target for heart beats.

I also have done lots of muscle training with a personal trainer. Just got to get rid of the stomach !!

I leg press 270-290 pounds.

I curl 50-60 pounds.

I use leg machines at 120-140 pounds

I do all this on the machines and three sets.

So I have plenty of muscle and reasonably good tone.

Just got to manage the fork better and the low carb program is helping that immensely now.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 15:18

BF:
Wink

Hello again,

Well I got back from my Doctor visit and things went very well.

My A1c is 5.6 and I hope to get it lower.

My weight continues to decline as I head for 210-220.

I also talked to my Doctor about trying alternative approaches.

I told him my meds really weren't doing that much for me if anything.

I should him my glucose reading including the days I stopped the meds.

I told him I believe I can control this completely with good diet and exercise.

I also told him I am going to try some alternatives to Rx's. He is 100% OK with what I am doing. He told me very few people who come into his office actually study, do research and manage themselves. He says terrific. Whatever you want to do I will support you as long as it works. He said the 5.6 is great. I told him I am after getting it down to 5.0 for the A1C. Normal people are 5.0 or less.

Anyway, we have agreed for the next three months I am not taking any Rx prescriptions. Today I started my Glucotor and my chromium picolinate.

I have it in the following dosages. You take Glucotor 2 tabs before each meal. Going with three meals here are the quantities of various herbs that I will be taking:

Nopal 900mg
Konjac Mannan 699mg
Gynema Sylvestre 25% 576mg
Fenugreek Extract 60-80% 576mg
Cinnuin PF 300mg
Bitter Melon extract 4:1 201mg
1% corosolic acid extract
from banaba leaf 48mg
Chromium Picolinate 400 mcg

Now I know Cajonboy mentioned Mai Wei Di Huang Wan from the www.chinamedicinemall.com.

I think I will also order that and add it to my daily intake.

I also take 2 baby aspirin per day.
2 Glucosamine chondriton tabs a day
2 magnesium tabs per day.

So, we are off and running.

I will refine the mix as I experience the results.

Ralph
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 15:29

Go RALPH Go..............

Good Job!
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 17:15

Keep up the great work, Ralph
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 05:49

BF:
Thumbs up

We will see!

Thanks.

Ralph
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 10:55

BF:
Thumbs up

So Cajunboy - I just orderd my MAI Wei 3 immortal teas.

24 pills a day !! And a cost of about $1 a day too. I hope it helps out.

They must be small pills, right?

I have no issue swallowing a bunch of pills all at once; do it all the time.

Now, to see how it goes over the next several months.

Ralph
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 12:18

Default No meds since Monday morning

So far, so good; I last took my Januvia on Monday morning (7/2/07). These are my readings since then:

7/3 -

FBS - 65 (yikes lol)
11 AM - 102
4 PM - 80

7/4

FBS - 74
9 AM - 86
NOON- 71
7 PM - 82

7/5

FBS - 77
11 AM - 82