Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/248/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hello everyone , I am new to this thread but not to diabetes. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I take Metformin 4 x 500mg per day and also take Ramipril twice a day, another BP med (can't remember the name) and Indapamide. I was taking Crestor but I am on a three month break to see how that reverses muscle weakness.

I also have high BG readings in the morning. As high as 8.0, sorry I don't know the American equivilent. It has been a struggle for me to get these readings down and after reading this very long thread I am finally seeing some hope. I understand that excess carbs are stored by insulin as fat and that excess protein through a long process is stored by insulin as fat (please correct me if I am wrong on this) but what happens to excess dietary fat that is consumed? I know that insulin does not interact with dietary fat - right? I look forward to joining your group and experimenting to see if I can get me BG readings down as so many of you have been successful in doing.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 19:41

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Binsk
Many type 2 diabetics have high glucose in the morning-it's called the dawn phenomenon.It happens because your liver produces too much glucose while you're asleep.Glucose in your blood comes from dietary carbohydrates.As you decrease your carbohydrate intake,you have less
glucose in your blood that your insulin system has
to deal with.The number of carbs that works best is maybe a little different for everyone.
Good luck
Eddie
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 20:17
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hello Binsk, welcome! Nice to meet you!
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/235/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks for all your posts. It gives me hope, too.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 21:47

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Binsk
Many type 2 diabetics have high glucose in the morning-it's called the dawn phenomenon.It happens because your liver produces too much glucose while you're asleep.Glucose in your blood comes from dietary carbohydrates.As you decrease your carbohydrate intake,you have less
glucose in your blood that your insulin system has
to deal with.The number of carbs that works best is maybe a little different for everyone.
Good luck
Eddie

Perhaps a clarification, the sugar your liver produced can come from protein you eat, or even from your bodies muscles. So even very low carbing will not stop dawn phenomena for some of us.
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 05:15

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsk
Hello everyone , I am new to this thread but not to diabetes. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I take Metformin 4 x 500mg per day and also take Ramipril twice a day, another BP med (can't remember the name) and Indapamide. I was taking Crestor but I am on a three month break to see how that reverses muscle weakness.

I also have high BG readings in the morning. As high as 8.0, sorry I don't know the American equivilent. It has been a struggle for me to get these readings down and after reading this very long thread I am finally seeing some hope. I understand that excess carbs are stored by insulin as fat and that excess protein through a long process is stored by insulin as fat (please correct me if I am wrong on this) but what happens to excess dietary fat that is consumed? I know that insulin does not interact with dietary fat - right? I look forward to joining your group and experimenting to see if I can get me BG readings down as so many of you have been successful in doing.

Welcome Binsk

8.0 is about 150, I believe.
  #142   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 05:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Thanks for all your posts. It gives me hope, too.

Welcome, Woodsy Hang in there, with the rest of us
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 07:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your kind welcome. I have read Dr. Berstein's book and found it very helpful. I am one of the ones that lowcarbing only slightly helps DP. I do think with tweaking my diet as some have here that it could improve further. Does anyone have the answer to what happens with the excess dietary fat we consume (exceeding our caloric needs)?
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 11:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hello Everyone,

Been awhile since I posted.

I am doing well.

Even my dawn phenom is down around 100.

I am getting many readings now below 100.

My average glucose reading is around 108 and decreasing.

In October I will go for another A1C test.

I am on Janumet a combo of 50mg Januvia and 500mg Metformin.

I take this twice a day.

I also take a Metformin ER 500mg twice a day.

I take my meds just before breakfast and now just before dinner.

It is working well.

Ralph
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 11:10

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsk
Thank you for your kind welcome. I have read Dr. Berstein's book and found it very helpful. I am one of the ones that lowcarbing only slightly helps DP. I do think with tweaking my diet as some have here that it could improve further. Does anyone have the answer to what happens with the excess dietary fat we consume (exceeding our caloric needs)?

Its about the only thing our liver can't turn into blood sugars. But we can turn fat into fat.
  #146   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 12:09

I'm not sure that there is much "left over" fat, on a low carb diet. The entire body needs fat, and if it is your primary energy source, as well, then there should be precious little left, I'd think.

I could be wrong..... lol
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Those sound like readings to be very proud of Dacinbr. Thank you for your response Rob and Daryl. I would like to better understand this process of metabolizing fat. If there is a recommended protein intake formula perhaps there is an ideal fat gram formula based on current weight and desired weight. Maybe its just the leftover fat grams after you have calculated your carb, protein and calorie requirements.

Dacinbr, do you find that taking you medications before meals helps better with their efficacy? Do you take them right before the meals or say 30 minutes before your meals? I was told to take with food, but they didn't specify when.
  #148   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 10:06
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Well I think RobLL makes a good point, because Binsk asked
Quote:
Does anyone have the answer to what happens with the excess dietary fat we consume (exceeding our caloric needs)?

I'm pretty sure anything you eat in excess of your caloric needs is going to be stored as fat.

I know the first time I read Atkins (10+ years ago before I was diabetic), I was one of those (often talked badly about on this board) who took away the message that you can eat all the fat you want, as long as you don't eat carbs, it can't be stored as fat.
I really took that to heart, and ate all the bacon, sausage, and buttered steaks I could cram in (considerable). need I say, I didn't lose? lol

This time, I still eat plenty of fat, about 70%. But I watch the calories, averaging about 1300-1500, well under my daily caloric needs, and I am losing at a good rate.
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply Mizkitty. I have heard many times don't worry about the calories, just eat the prescribed percentages and the ketosis will do the rest. I found it so hard to go into ketosis and think that I might have been able to be in ketosis sometimes during the day, but when the DP happened in the morning, I was kicked out of ketosis so I never experienced the hunger supression that many did. It was and is easy for me to eat a dozen wings. I can eat a whole 1" thick ribeye steak no problem and accompany that with mushrooms sauteed in butter. If I could get the DP under control, I might not have hunger issues.
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 11:29

I'm not sure that dawn phenomenon has anything to do with ketosis.