Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 12:48

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
LemonAid flavour Protein Powder, one of those new "juice" transparent powders out there right now.

Jude, would you mind saying the brand of this protein powder? My juice type protein powder is no longer carried at my HFS. It's not made by PVL is it? WheyCooler?
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 01:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
Jude, would you mind saying the brand of this protein powder? My juice type protein powder is no longer carried at my HFS. It's not made by PVL is it? WheyCooler?

Heya, Deb! Nah, it's not the WheyCooler by PVL, just a sec, I'll go get the tub...ok:

Quote:
Performance Protein
FRUIT BLAST

Lemonade
Made with Natural Ingredients
Whey Protein Isolate Powder
Naturally Flavoured (yep, Canadian spelling and all )
Sweetened with Sucralose

Manufactured exclusively for and distributed by
4EVER®FIT
4EVER®HEALTH, 107-750 McCurdy Road, Kelowna, BC, V1X 2P7
email: info ć 4everhealth.com

Cool.

#123   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 01:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
IslandGirl--I must have missed the simple syrup recipe. Will you please post it?

Lise

You'll find the recipe, such as it is, in
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...57&postcount=94
or post 94 in this very thread.

It's one line in my Quadruple Chocolate Ice Cream recipe:
Quote:
75 ml polydextrose simple syrup (2:1 pdx & water, sweetened to 2X sugar)

which recipe I posted for you, my dear
Quote:
Maybe that's what I need--a rich dark chocolate ice cream!!

So, just make a 2:1 pdx:water syrup, sweetened to the same ratio (i.e., your favourite sweeteners to equal 2C sweetness if using 2C pdx and 1C water). I keep a jar of the stuff around for all kinds of things, but mostly frozen desserts!

Now, I have to get back to work...

#124   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 09:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
You'll find the recipe, such as it is, in
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...57&postcount=94
or post 94 in this very thread.

It's one line in my Quadruple Chocolate Ice Cream recipe:

which recipe I posted for you, my dear

So, just make a 2:1 pdx:water syrup, sweetened to the same ratio (i.e., your favourite sweeteners to equal 2C sweetness if using 2C pdx and 1C water). I keep a jar of the stuff around for all kinds of things, but mostly frozen desserts!

Now, I have to get back to work...

Well shit! I've got to read my own thread more carefully!!

Now--that I've read a bit back....Is this "clear" type protein powder available here in the US?? and if so, what brands are the best tasting?

PS--rich chocolate ice cream--was to swoon for! (Notice the "was" )
  #125   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 10:34
Registered Member

Quote:
Well shit! I've got to read my own thread more carefully!!

Far be it from me to agree!

Quote:
Now--that I've read a bit back....Is this "clear" type protein powder available here in the US?? and if so, what brands are the best tasting?

How the heck would I know, eh!? Actually, I think there is a brand called Nectar I've seen on Netrition. Look for flavours like Lemon or Iced Tea. They usually have prominent fruity type of marketing and also recommend mixing with water...I don't know if any of our two Canadian brands mentioned here are available there.

Guess you'll have to go look..............

#126   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 11:24

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

I'll try some 'scream with a Nectar I already have. . .Fuzzy Navel. . .a peach/orange blend. . .which is very Orange Julius tasting. . .

I also have some Green apple, unfortunately it is so, well, GREEN! I added in some to my oat/flax hot cereal, and well, while very tasty, it was so. . .unappetizing looking (GREEN). . .I'm trying to figure out how to overcome the color issue with me. . .blindfold???

I DO like the fact that the Lello makes a smaller amount. . .for experimenting!!!!
  #127   ^
Old Mon, May-14-07, 11:30

So Jude have you made your protein boosted 'scream yet? I looked back and didn't see any posts. . .of whether you had the preliminary findings. . .

I am thinking that the protein boosted stuff would be great for my brutal summers. . .made with more milk than cream. . .and some simple syrup. . .

I picture going to the freezer and getting out my breakfast. . .!!!! (or doing frozen 4 mini meals and one salad. . .to take off these pesky. . .lbs. . .
  #128   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 09:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Hijacking My Own Thread for a Minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
I'll try some 'scream with a Nectar I already have. . .Fuzzy Navel. . .a peach/orange blend. . .which is very Orange Julius tasting. . .

I also have some Green apple, unfortunately it is so, well, GREEN! I added in some to my oat/flax hot cereal, and well, while very tasty, it was so. . .unappetizing looking (GREEN). . .I'm trying to figure out how to overcome the color issue with me. . .blindfold???

I DO like the fact that the Lello makes a smaller amount. . .for experimenting!!!!

Hijacking my own thread for a minute

Mag--
I need some help here. I'm really intrigued by this protein powder but if it's nasty I don't want to waste 25 bucks on 2 pounds of the stuff. It looks like you have a few of the flavors. Can you describe which one you like best (color doesn't make a difference).

I'm also going to post this in the products thread and see if I can get some reviews.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 10:25

So far I have the Fuzzy Navel and the Green Apple and the taste is great on both. . .(I've spoken at length about the color of the Green Apple) but other than making an Orange Julius (yummo) and adding to my Mock Oatmeal--the apple--I'm clueless as to how to use with cooking. I did think I could make protein bars. . .with the basic cream cheese, maybe some nut butter, but I haven't attempted. . .I wanted to do an apple cobbler protein bar. . .but haven't cracked the code yet! or should I say, haven't attempted.

I also got the Cappucino flavor, which I use for breakfast shake/smoothie/Frappacino, and it is okay--well, better than that, but not worth the extra $$'s to me over my standby, Designer Protein. . .

I haven't purchased any lemon. . .might be worth it. . .

I HOPE to experiment this weekend with simple syrup, lc milk and protein powder--the Fuzzy Navel. . .also some Not Sugar. . .don't want too much PDX!!!! I am going to make a smaller serving. . .maybe 3 cups. . .6 servings. . .

I'm debating as to adding glycerin. Probably will.

Last edited by magnamater : Wed, May-16-07 at 10:27. Reason: spelling
  #130   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:48
Registered Member

Quote:
...I did think I could make protein bars. . .with the basic cream cheese, maybe some nut butter, but I haven't attempted. . .I wanted to do an apple cobbler protein bar. . .but haven't cracked the code yet! or should I say, haven't attempted...
I haven't purchased any lemon. . .might be worth it. . .

I HOPE to experiment this weekend with simple syrup, lc milk and protein powder--the Fuzzy Navel. . .also some Not Sugar. . .don't want too much PDX!!!! I am going to make a smaller serving. . .maybe 3 cups. . .6 servings. .

Oh, there are some fruity protein bar recipes lurking in here somewhere, way back, DoreenT made them IIRC (yes, one of the founders...we were all here then ). Hijack those and use them for a template, I would!

I'm hoping to get back to the gelato/scream trip this weekend, matter of fact tomorrow night if all goes as planned (pray for me), so I can have some on the weekend (yeah, yeah, it starts officially on Friday night!).

Hugs, girls!

#131   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 14:55
Registered Member

Default ok, I've been making the Lemon Gelato...

for a couple of weeks now (I think) but haven't had time to upload the actual recipe in MasterCook format as I intended.

It DOES include, however:
  • some whipping cream, ~ 4 fl oz
  • some lower carb milk (Natrel brand, 8g/C) OR buttermilk, ~ 6 fl oz
  • 4 Tbsp or so of (natural flavour) Lemonade Whey Protein Powder
  • 1 packet Crystal Light Singles (natural flavour) Lemonade
  • 1 Tbsp each Vegetable Glycerine/PDX Simple Syrup #2 (as described earlier in this thread if you're curious, dear reader)
That's it, stir together to ensure PP and CL are dissolved (don't beat), no cooking, no precooling as in the French/Custard based recipe, straight into the ice cream machine and a delightfully intense Lemon flavour. Even the persnickety non-LC DH likes it, especially with blueberries on top. May add some very fine Lemon Zest sometime just because.

Ta!
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 11:02

Jude how much does it make? Serving wise? oh I can add the liquid ingredients. . .but still wondering!!!!

BTW, I got on the scales right after my DH, and we weighed the same, so I'm back on serious induction until I get to goal!! NO Scream. . .except maybe yours for July 4th. . .oh, right, you don't celebrate that!

(my DH isn't very tall, and is skinny, but still. . . .)

Hate to see that lovely Gelato maker going to waste. I might try a Granita. . .protein powder plus some Crystal light. . .what do you think, would it work????? Maybe a yogurt added?

Couldn't really hurt to try.

Janie
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 02:29
Registered Member

Hey there, BigMama!

I think it almost doubles from the churning, so about 2 C minimum yield would be about right, if I packed it in the containers I'm using, it would be 3/4 full and it's a 20 fl oz or 600ml container. I definitely get 3 to 4 servings out of it.

I think it would work fine with some yogurt (after all, I've tried it with Buttermilk as the major ingredient) but I do think the glycerine and the simple syrup are needed as the smoothing ingredients or it's just too icy, too hard. It's just scoopable enough with these proportions. I've been eying the Pineapple protein powder with the thought of some coconut milk (Pina Colada Gelato, yum!) as the base, and sprinkled with toasted coconut right at the end... and I've been snapping up any good sugarfree Singles drink mixes I can find, it's SO convenient! So far, CL Raspberry and Peach Mango -- and a Cranberry Fuji Apple Tea (different brand, though). And heck, I think a Granita experiment is in the cards, who needs dairy? It's SUMMERtime! You go girl, and post results here (and so will I). BTW, we DO do July 1st, that's Canada Day. Usually falls on the same weekend, one of those rare occasions where we have a holiday at the same time as you'all.

I've given up worrying about outweighing the DH, me, at least for now. Stress is doing me in! Messing in the kitchen is my only effective therapy right now

Ta!
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 07:03

Thanks, Jude, sorry about your stress, been there. . .you know the rest. . .but you will perservere, because you are a Woman Who Runs With the Wolves!!! (I know this because you couldn't be the creator chef you are without being one!)

Thanks for educating me on Canada's holiday.

I think I will try the Granita. . .maybe tonight. . .it should be a protein full snack for my new experiment. . .eating every 3 hours. . .but small amounts.

And thanks for explaining it needs the SS and glycerine. A T. shouldn't be all that "frankenfoodish." (I'm trying to stay '"pure" as can be!)

Ta,
Janie
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 09:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, Jude, sorry about your stress, been there. . .you know the rest. . .but you will perservere, because you are a Woman Who Runs With the Wolves!!! (I know this because you couldn't be the creator chef you are without being one!)

There's a phrase I haven't heard for a while! Good reminder...I'll be a running today...

Quote:
I think I will try the Granita. . .maybe tonight. . .it should be a protein full snack for my new experiment. . .eating every 3 hours. . .but small amounts.
And thanks for explaining it needs the SS and glycerine. A T. shouldn't be all that "frankenfoodish." (I'm trying to stay '"pure" as can be!)

Ta,
Janie

Oy, any FRESH granita or freeze or even ice cream should be just fine, even the scream comes out pretty much a soft serve. It's for storing in the freezer for any length of time that the glycerine comes into play, and the pdx, too. Though I use the PDX as a sweetener as well.

Make a half batch (about 2 good servings), minus the 'frankenfoods' and plus the sweetener (the only frankenfood exception, I guess) and eat 1 serving fresh and let the other sit out for a few minutes to soften slightly. Good to go, teach!