Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 13:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
It depends what you mean my natural. In my book natural means what our body obtains/digests/manufactures from food, while man-made means all supplements, both natural and syntetics. Even Vit.A, E, and D supplements come in both syntetic and natural version, I still consider all of them man-made and therefore, easy to overdose. Any Vit. supplements especially fat soluble, are easy to overdose. But while water soluble like C and B we can simply get rid of by drinking more water, fat soluble can accumulate in fatty tissues and start to build up. As I understand, natural vit.D comes from fatty fish, egg youlks and is made by exposing our body to UVA/B for at least 15 minutes a day and is manufactured from cholesterol.
In my book natural means from a natural source, i.e., fish liver.

Interesting that you consider only vitamins from consumed source natural. That's not my definition, especially since you'd have to consume a lot of calories to obtain the RDA, not even ODA, from food. Further, you might consider natural/processed and synthetic/processed the same but the body can tell the difference and the synthetic/processed is toxic to the body in relatively small doses. Either that or the body doesn't know what to do with it because it's synthetic and parks it in the liver and tissues causing problems.

As I said, natural, by my definition, vitamin A and D is not toxic at fairly large amounts. That's because natural vitamins A, D, and E, yes excess is stored in fat but that is not a problem because the excess stores in fat in it's inactive form and only taken out and activated when needed.

Oh, and that 15 minutes in the sun? That's a proven fallacy that way it's most alluded to. That's 15 minutes in direct sun with about 80% of the body exposed not just arms and face.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 13:14
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Latitude is important but anywhere north from 37 is considered low in UVA/B. I am a sunworshiper and I spend as much time outside sunbathing when the weather permits, and since it's raining only N-M, the rest of the year I get plney of vit.D. I work in SSF (17 miles down to south) where is more sunny days during winter and I go for a lunch walk when it's not raining. Consider, that Vit.D can accumulates during prolonged sun exposure, a day on the beach can generated 100s of thousands of Vit.D units in someonme with a fair skin, so the body can access this reserve when needed. I do this as often as I can and use sunblock only on my face but never on my body.
http://www.healingtherapies.info/Sunlight&VitaminD.htm
I've read the article. It's an excellent article though it has a few slight inaccuracies.

It's great that you sunbathe and store vitamin D for the winter. A person can use 7,000 IUs of vitamin D a day. It's also nice that you are fair skinned and can produce vitamin D efficiently. There are also other factors that can prevent vitamin D production even when it's sunny such as pollution and angle of the sun.

So, no you probably don't need to supplement with vitamin D. However, if you have diabetes or hypertension, you might need to.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%

Wow all this talk about the sun and we haven't seen it for weeks. I was wondering if tanning booths do the trick?

Pasty and white in Buffalo
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 15:04
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilson43
Wow all this talk about the sun and we haven't seen it for weeks. I was wondering if tanning booths do the trick?

Tanning booths, not the mist, the body can actually generate vitamin D from.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:

I would avoid tanning boots like a plaque. If you need to add a bit of color, use a moisturizer with a small mount of self-tanner.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 16:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
In my book natural means from a natural source, i.e., fish liver.

Thanks for reminding, I haven't had cod liver for some time. I understand your passion for Vit.D, promise not to comment anymore.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 17:24
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thanks for reminding, I haven't had cod liver for some time. I understand your passion for Vit.D, promise not to comment anymore.
You can comment all you want. It's called discussion. Differences in viewpoint is what makes the world go round.

But you're right, I am passionate about vitamin D. I've been researching and learning about it for over two years.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 21:35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa

But you're right, I am passionate about vitamin D. I've been researching and learning about it for over two years.

Just curious, how Vit.D helped you on your path to weight loss and wellness? I've read about Vit.D, chromium, vit.A, etc. and did not see much improvement from supplements I've been taking for the past 4 years. I also wonder if you have/had diabetes and reversed it using natural vit.D, you post very often on this forum. Feel free not to share if you don't want to or PM me if you want to keep it private.
Thanks,
Dina
ETA: Never mind, I just browsed your jornal. I see you are not diabetic.

Last edited by dina1957 : Tue, Feb-28-06 at 22:45.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:04

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I haven't posted here in a long time, but I read the postings fairly consistently.

Recent posts about cinnamon, organic apple cider vinegar, vitamin D, GTF chromium, gymnema sylvestre, and calcium with magnesium supplements intrigued me.

I've been low carbing for about two years now, with a couple of pretty big slips, and exercising as well. My blood sugars still stayed high most of the time ~ 130 - 140 no matter what I did. I took my prescription meds faithfully,
Glucovance and Gemfibrizol but could not get the numbers down. And I was starting to have some neuropathy in my feet.

So I decided to give the supplements a try. After all, they are fairly cheap and safe too.

I started taking them about a month ago. After two weeks, my feet felt like well -- feet. The numbness and tingling was gone. Then I noticed I was sleeping through the night without a potty break. A true miracle for me.

Finally, after three weeks my blood sugars started to drop. This morning it was 90 and it read 90 again two hours after breakfast. The other thing that my hairdresser noticed was that my hair seems to be growing faster and coming in thicker. I thought I was imagining it.

No wonder big pharm doesn't want people to know about these natural supplements. They are safe and they really do work.

I'm going to keep taking them. I have an appointment with my M.D. in March. Should be interesting.

I take the organic vinegar and cinnamon. My sugars are so good everyday now and I eat more carbs than I did before, maybe 90 carb grams a day (about 30 per meal). I do still workout and walk. My doc called me yesterday with my lab numbers and everything is good including cholesterol and tryglicerides. My tryglicerides were 400 at one point, now 150. A1c is 5.5.

I am so interested in those trying this stuff, please let me know how your labs turn out.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 10:35

Plan: none
Stats: 250/250/235 Male 6feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Interesting

Very good discussion and I went out and bought some Vitamin D pills. The phamicist said I should only take 1 pill a day (400 iu) but what I am reading is people taking 800. Have no idea what I should do....Would 800 hurt me?
Thanks
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 11:33
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheVegas
Very good discussion and I went out and bought some Vitamin D pills. The phamicist said I should only take 1 pill a day (400 iu) but what I am reading is people taking 800. Have no idea what I should do....Would 800 hurt me?
Thanks
How much vitamin D you should take depends on many factors: season, resident latitude, skin tone, weight, age, dress or cultural mores, and presence of D deficiency symptoms.

I can tell you that natural vitamin D from fish oil is safe at very high doses and 2,000 IUs per day is not unreasonable.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 12:06

Plan: none
Stats: 250/250/235 Male 6feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress:

How much vitamin D you should take depends on many factors: season, resident latitude, skin tone, weight, age, dress or cultural mores, and presence of D deficiency symptoms.

Winter/Wisconsin/fair/234(6'9")/33/caucasion/I have no idea
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 13:35
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheVegas

Winter/Wisconsin/fair/234(6'9")/33/caucasion/I have no idea
4,000 IUs per day until late April early May. If you have diabetes or high blood pressure you can go higher up to 7,000 IUs per day.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%
Default Well, I went to my doctor

and boy was he surprised and happy! Here's the results. Last time I was there was six months ago

Weight 256 down from 278. Must change ticker

Blood Sugar 87
HbAc1 5.5

Blood Pressure 110/60

Don't know the cholesterol numbers yet

He wants me to come back to talk about reducing my MEDS!!!!

Hurray!!!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:15
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Congratulations!!!!