Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 10:24

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Ralph:

Glucotor.... At first glance, I thought, overpriced for sure. It might be worth considering. There are many such combo herbal pills on the market, not sure how many combos or what combos we each need to resolve things. I compared 3 for costs:

Glucotor: about $17 per month
Glucobetic: about $30 per month
Sugar Blocker: about $ 9 per month

*note:
Glucotor does not contain chromium picolinate or vanadyl sulfate, of which both are important for glucose control...

Let me know how it works for you if you try it.... I'm not speaking for or against any of these products. If we can control our blood sugar levels as naturally as possible, all power to us, no matter which way we go.... Glucobetic is endorsed by the ADA, which is a scary thought, but the ingredients are fine, just a little bit pricey....
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 10:40

Can I quote myself and have a different point of view?)

Quote:
As for my percentages 10-15-75, that is what I will shoot for in my attempt to lose more. If I deviate, it will be added protein and reduced carbs and let the fat fall where it falls, as I will try to keep the total calories fairly consistent. I don't see a problem with a "0" carb day here and there and keeping my proteins upward to 25%. Just from general understanding over the last few months, higher than 25% on the protein would not produce better results and it might even be harmful.

My Herbal Doctor says I am wrong and she's been right about so much before, I think I should listen to her and here is my revision for my diet changes. 20% carbs - 20% protein - 60% fat. She insists that I walk at least an hour each day, drink plenty of water, continue herbal & vitamin supplements and keep my percentages consistent at each meal and my calories between 1600-1800 per day.... Diabetic control is not my problem any longer, it is losing my last 25 pounds of fat..... That is proving to be way more difficult than controlling diabetes, but hopefully these new changes will make a difference for me and my hope is this. After reaching a natural weight, I might be able to just stop with all the supplements and get proper nutrition from the foods I eat and still keep my diabetes in reverse... That is my hope! That is my goal!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 11:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Ralph:

Glucotor.... At first glance, I thought, overpriced for sure. It might be worth considering. There are many such combo herbal pills on the market, not sure how many combos or what combos we each need to resolve things. I compared 3 for costs:

Glucotor: about $17 per month
Glucobetic: about $30 per month
Sugar Blocker: about $ 9 per month

*note:
Glucotor does not contain chromium picolinate or vanadyl sulfate, of which both are important for glucose control...

Let me know how it works for you if you try it.... I'm not speaking for or against any of these products. If we can control our blood sugar levels as naturally as possible, all power to us, no matter which way we go.... Glucobetic is endorsed by the ADA, which is a scary thought, but the ingredients are fine, just a little bit pricey....

I will keep posting on this.

I understand about the other two ingredients you talk about.

I will check my vitamins, minerals that I take to see what if any I get on them.

But, how did you compare? I saw Glucotor more per month. $30/month?
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:37

Glucotor comment:

I used the yahoo search bar, found several sites promoting gluctor and the cheapest I saw was $29.95 a bottle if you buy 4 bottles at one time. A bottle is equal to a month's supply from what I read, thus $30 per month... If you try it, hopefully you can find a better price than that.... I don't pay too close attention to my overall monthly costs, but I'm sure it is between $150 and $200 for all my supplements. By the way, I used to be on 8 medications (all free), but it was killing me... I'll gladly pay a little for a lot better health than what I had before....

Please do share about your results with gluctor...
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 18:10

BF:

Quote:
Glucotor comment:

I used the yahoo search bar, found several sites promoting gluctor and the cheapest I saw was $29.95 a bottle if you buy 4 bottles at one time. A bottle is equal to a month's supply from what I read, thus $30 per month... If you try it, hopefully you can find a better price than that.... I don't pay too close attention to my overall monthly costs, but I'm sure it is between $150 and $200 for all my supplements. By the way, I used to be on 8 medications (all free), but it was killing me... I'll gladly pay a little for a lot better health than what I had before....

Please do share about your results with gluctor...

OK, yes $30/month buying 4 bottles at one time.

I also went out and bought some Chromium Picolonate.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 21:29

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"I also went out and bought some Chromium Picolonate."
I'm still not clear if Chromium GTF or Chromium Picolinate is best.Does anyone
know?
Eddie
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 22:26

Quote:
"I also went out and bought some Chromium Picolonate."
I'm still not clear if Chromium GTF or Chromium Picolinate is best.Does anyone
know?
Eddie

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium(III)_picolinate

"Claims have been made that the picolinate form of chromium supplementation is of benefit in reducing insulin resistance, particularly in diabetics. "

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Mon, Jun-25-07 at 22:27. Reason: addition
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 06:41

BF:
Angry

Quote:
from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium(III)_picolinate

"Claims have been made that the picolinate form of chromium supplementation is of benefit in reducing insulin resistance, particularly in diabetics. "

Well, I am not worried about DNA damage at this stage of my life, but it appears that nothing is substantiated about Chromium Picolinate ???
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 08:50

posted by dancinbr:

[/QUOTE]Well, I am not worried about DNA damage at this stage of my life, but it appears that nothing is substantiated about Chromium Picolinate ???[QUOTE]

Maybe not, but I have used it, stopped for a while, noticed a difference, then used it again. I think there is evidence to show it sustains muscle while you lose fat, increases metabolism and in so doing probably is assisting in the overall control of blood sugar. I would not consider taking just that, for sure, but in combination with other herbs, minerals, vitamins and amino acids, I think it fits into the scheme of things.... substantiated or not, I am comfortable with it...
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
posted by dancinbr:

Well, I am not worried about DNA damage at this stage of my life, but it appears that nothing is substantiated about Chromium Picolinate ???
Quote:

Maybe not, but I have used it, stopped for a while, noticed a difference, then used it again. I think there is evidence to show it sustains muscle while you lose fat, increases metabolism and in so doing probably is assisting in the overall control of blood sugar. I would not consider taking just that, for sure, but in combination with other herbs, minerals, vitamins and amino acids, I think it fits into the scheme of things.... substantiated or not, I am comfortable with it...

Thanks I needed that !!!

My glucotor is on its way.

Once that arrives, I will begin to take that with the chromium.

I also take other minerals.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 05:41

BF:
Thumbs down

OK today I decided to go back on meds for now.

My average glucose level is creeping up.

It is now up to 125.

My average was down near 110 or less before I stopped meds.

So the meds are helping.

I also am NOT seeing low readings near or around 100 or lower.

Now I will take my meds for a couple of weeks or so and see where the numbers go. They should go back down.

Then we will wait and see, develop a good trend line of BG values and switch from meds to glucotor and chromium picolinate and see what happens.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
OK today I decided to go back on meds for now.

My average glucose level is creeping up.

It is now up to 125.

My average was down near 110 or less before I stopped meds.

So the meds are helping.

I also am NOT seeing low readings near or around 100 or lower.

Now I will take my meds for a couple of weeks or so and see where the numbers go. They should go back down.

Then we will wait and see, develop a good trend line of BG values and switch from meds to glucotor and chromium picolinate and see what happens.

125 avg shouldn't be hard to bring down a bit... I'd like to know your daily carb count, exercise level and if you've tried gymnema slyvestre.... also chromium picolinate and cinnamon. You're so close... But, hey if you gotta take the meds, do it... Realize, you'll have better success later with more weight loss.. Good luck .....
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/high fat
Stats: 278/211/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi everyone,

I found out I was diabetec when I went for a physical about 7 years ago. My BS was 284. My Doctor had me go to classes but while going I went on Atkins.
By the end of the course my sugars went from in the 180's in the morning to 120's.
I didn't tell the educator I was on Atkins because it was not popular nor recommended at the time. In fact one person TOLD them and they totally discouraged it.
I didn't listen because I wanted to try Atkins and found it was working.
I lost weight for a while and then stopped. I was on my own at this time and had no clue as to how much Fat or protein.
Just recently my daughter sent this site to me. I got on Fitday and found I had been eating way to much protein and not enough Fat. I switched my ratio and now am losing weight again.
During the time of no weight loss I also notice my sugars slowly rising. When I read about Protein causing sugar increase, when eating to much, I realized that I may be causing my sugars to rise. Now my numbers are dropping down again.
My sugar in the morning runs close to 120. during the day it drops in the 100s and stays that way into the evenings.
On the morning number, I got up early (6am) and checked and found my number to be 109 so I have that " morning " thing, it seems.
It is so good for me to read this thread. I gives me confidance to continue to fight this fight natural.
I had to change doctors recently because my doctor had to quit her practice. I am not sure about this new doctor. He said he is not into "natural foods" and said to expect many drugs.
He hasn't seen any A1c on me yet.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 22:11

Posted by Hutton50:

Quote:
It is so good for me to read this thread. I gives me confidance to continue to fight this fight natural.

Great!

Don't know what else you're doing besides diet, but you might try cinnamon, gymnema sylvestre, chromium picolinate and a chinese herb named "mai wei di huang wan". The combination of these 4 supplements brought me from around 120 average to about 100 average. During the day, my numbers are in the 80s and 90s... rarely ever see 120 and never over 140.....

I have stopped losing weight and trying to figure out why... I am happy to read your post. I think my problem just might be that I have been eating too much protein. I have been adjusting my diet all sorts of ways without weight loss success. Some people cheat on carbs, I think I have been cheating on protein. Thanks for sharing..... The thing to keep in mind when making any changes is to monitor yourself often until you know what your body is doing in response to changes.....
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/high fat
Stats: 278/211/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks for your reply.

I am taking chromium and a muti, some c but I only just read about mai wei di huang wan... Do you have a site where I can get it? I have used gymnema but run out. I will order more tomorrow.

Believe me I understand about no weight loss, I went 5 years!
I stuck to Atkins like glue! I did NOT want to get on meds.
people around me kept telling me I had to cut calories so I changed some things like eating chicken which has very little fat, cut the cream to 1/2 and 1/2 thinking I was doing the right thing.
I cut out so much fat that I was eating almost nothing but protein and a small amount of carbs. It just didn't work and the sugar levels started moving up. Having to take care of my Mom who died of cancer last Sept didn't help either.

Now I feel I am back on track. I want to try this chinese herb as well.