Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 12:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Nancy..how important are free meals? Should I up my calories for my free meal by adding in some dreamfields pasta and monitor what happens? Im just so scared of uping my calories bc Ive been trying to restrict my calories for the past few weeks and I think the uping will set me back...like always.

Well, I'd avoid them if you're truly stuck, and if you can.

In my last post I asked you a number of questions, can you answer any of them? Just trying to figure out what's going on.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 13:47
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know exercise is somewhat of a touchie subject. Some days I exercise I burn up to 600 cals a day. Should I eat at least 1000 cals a day (leaving a 400 cal intake)? Or should I just eat the least amount possible?

Take today for example. I havent really started but am trying to whittle my way down in cals. It's lunch time and I have already eaten 130 g of protein and about 600 cals, but tonight I have power yoga and hip hop class which will burn like 500-600 cals. Should I not eat dinner.. or do I need t food to be able to make it through classes?
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

KCookys: It's a free meal! Use regular pasta, unless you prefer the taste of Dreamfields. In Lyle's forum, people are talking about eating maintenance to maintenance plus 500 calories on a free meal day, so even with regular pasta, I doubt you'd go too high calorically.

Cindy: Lyle recommends getting 3-5 g sodium a day, and supplementing with up to 1 g potassium. So no, potassium shouldn't be double the sodium.
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 14:20
Experimenter

BF:

I seem to recall Lyle warned about exercise induced energy conservation. *shrug* I think that would plague some of us with metabolic issues more than others. I think you've gotta eat enough food you don't pass out during class!
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:16

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

Okay, well I am going to try tomorrow with no soy and no citric acid. I will see what I am tomorrow morning (hopefully I will be down some from yesterday and today of PSMF).

I have gotten my thryroid tested about 2 years ago when I was on Atkins. It wasn't a fasting blood test because they neglected to tell me to fast. I think everything was fine. They were just checking out all the hormones.

Compared to what I used to eat (can we say bingeing after every hard day at work?) I should be dropping pounds like crazy. Since Aug 1 I have lost 12 lbs, but it was mostly water at the beginning from starting Atkins. I haven't lost much lately, that is why I am doing the PSMF.

I will keep you posted on my weight. Is there any special way that I should do this? Do you guys change your current weights every morning???

PS I haven't eaten more than 30 carbs (only 30 on two pseudo-carb-up days, usually 17 carbs a day) since Aug 1.

Last edited by PB Girl : Tue, Sep-20-05 at 16:23.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:24

Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle00
KCookys: It's a free meal! Use regular pasta, unless you prefer the taste of Dreamfields. In Lyle's forum, people are talking about eating maintenance to maintenance plus 500 calories on a free meal day, so even with regular pasta, I doubt you'd go too high calorically.

Cindy: Lyle recommends getting 3-5 g sodium a day, and supplementing with up to 1 g potassium. So no, potassium shouldn't be double the sodium.

If you consider that most folks on psmf are eating primarily whole foods, it makes sense that Lyle says to sup with more sodium. Not much sodium unless your eating lots of processed foods. So it makes sense that you'd add more sodium in this case. You're getting a larger amount of potassium in the whole foods.

That 2/1 ratio is what I use to make sure I'm not retaining boat loads of water. I never stated it as coming from Lyle.
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:26
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB Girl
I will keep you posted on my weight. Is there any special way that I should do this? Do you guys change your current weights every morning???

PS I haven't eaten more than 30 carbs (only 30 on two pseudo-carb-up days, usually 17 carbs a day) since Aug 1.

I only change my weight stats when it seems like a new low is going to stick. Everyone does their own thing.
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 17:44

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

LCookys, I also noted that you are very low on veg.

Hi Joan! Its nice when there are only a few lbs to lose!

Val
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 19:28
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I got my fat caliper and (if I did it right) it says 22.4% BF. Which is way lower than his estimate of 27%. So this definitely puts me in category 1 I suppose...?
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:26

Urban,

My suggestion to you would be to do a refeed and a free meal weekly. Diet for no more than 4 weeks OR until such time as you start to feel the body tanking, then take your 2 week break. As you only have 10 lbs to lose, and at low body fat, don't have great expectations about losing heaps weekly. It make a take a while, but at least it will happen. Even at my higher BF% it is now taking longer to lose.

Val
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:32

Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What're you doing at free meals? Also, from some of your other posts, sounds like you've maybe weekends are a problem for you? Are you sabatoging yourself in that way?

How much weight have you lost total over how much time?

If it truly isn't TMC (too many calories) then there is another explanation: Your metabolism is wonky. Have you looked into your thyroid being potentially a problem? Are you taking any drugs that can cause weight gain?

I think the place to start is to start logging and weighing and measuring everything you eat and making sure that your calories are what you think they are. After you rule that out then its time to look into something being physically wrong with you. I could believe that a underperforming thyroid can drag down your metabolism up to 30% maybe more if you were seriously non-functional. But even a somewhat hypothyroid person should lose on a big enough calorie deficit.

My free meals I have been having on the week ends--back to back. That is something that might be stalling me.

Ive lost six pounds since I started this diet over a month ago (when we were located in the Tips and Stalls section of this site)- four of which I dropped immediately when I moved from atkins to psmf.

I use Fitday relegiously...and trust me, its not too many calories. My doc finally came back from traveling and I have an appointment early next week.

Thanks for taking the time Nancy.
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I seem to recall Lyle warned about exercise induced energy conservation. *shrug* I think that would plague some of us with metabolic issues more than others. I think you've gotta eat enough food you don't pass out during class!

Im glad you brought that up bc I was on the Bodyrecomp site and I find that most of the men there have some type of excerisise schedule--including cardio. They say it helps them loose the weight faster. I dont get it...I thought excersise wasnt too good on this diet. Ive seen some posts where the members do up to 45 min. cardio in addition to weight lifting while on this diet. What gives?
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
LCookys, I also noted that you are very low on veg.

Hi Joan! Its nice when there are only a few lbs to lose!

Val

Val, you're killing me here! Its K Cookys!
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:45

Sorry- typos of names don't get picked up in software and I rarely stop and look (story of my life).

As I recall, some people on bodyrecomp said that they did cut back on exercise..others are too into BB to be able to let go..they all however are in Cat 1 and so only do the diet for a few weeks at a time. I think if you don't tank doing exercise, then do it and see if it makes any difference to kick starting further weight loss. But up your veg consumption to get the health benefits and perhaps eat a bit of dextrose before doing any heavy exercise.

Val
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 21:01

I just found this restaurant by my job that makes salads to your liking and for under 5 bucks! I has one last week and filled it with chicken which was really good! Ill incorporate more veggies and water ( and moderate excersise) into the diet to see if it helps any.