Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 23:56

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Gadgets. Heh. My wife keeps asking when we'll have storage space in the kitchen again... (My reply, of course, is "we need a bigger kitchen." )

I'd have to say that, although a stretch to say "gadget", the indispensible thing(s) I use each and every day are my chef's knives. I really recommend spending the $$$ for one or two really good knives and taking loving care of them. They will be your best friend in the kitchen. (Henckels Pro "S", if anyone's interested.)

I used the garlic roller until I found the Costco peeled garlic. Vacuum sealed into weekly portions (we eat a LOT of garlic...) and away we go! (OK, I guess the vacuum sealer is a happy gadget in our household, too...)

Here's one that will help: Pyrex ramekins. I kid you not. I have a stack of them in quarter-cup and half-cup sizes, and it is a boon to be able to portion sauces, ingredients, etc. by eye, and they make great baked-egg dishes besides!

Wow, this is just the top of the head list. It'd be a lot easier to just say if I have it in my kitchen somewhere, it's been a "favorite" at one time or another.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction (again!)
Stats: 320/256/180
BF:no/frickin'/idea
Progress: 46%
Default Isi cream charger

I first had call to use the Isi about 7 years ago. I was working at a Gloria Jean's Coffee Beans, and I fell in love with it immediately. I don't know why anyone would make Whipped Cream any other way.

We would pour in the cream, then add to the container confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract. But then we ALSO had a chocolate mousse-type of whipped cream we offered which called for the cream, the sugar and Hershey's chocolate syrup.
This is a great gadget for mousse. You can play around with any LC ingredients (crystal light powder, SF pudding/Jello mix, etc) and then be able to shoot out one serving at a time and have a reasonably compact way of storing it in the fridge until later. The Isi flask is marginally larger that a standard 1 qt milk box.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 20:15

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default so many choices

#1 OXO Salad Spinner

#2 boiling water dispenser

#3 krups electric egg steamer

#4 kitchen aids large and small

ali