Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:34

Plan: Primal+JUDDD
Stats: 168/163.2/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Atkins to Paleo

I've been doing Low-carb Atkins since january and only lost 3lbs. and its been up and down and up and down. Because I didn't really lose weight (it just fluctuates) I'm really giving up hope. I started reading a lot about Paleo and i love it. I'm just super tired of cutting everything out of my diet and having no success with weight loss. Switching to Paleo is just taking out the dairy and butter, but I'm already feeling to restricted. Maybe LC isn't for me? I just can't imagine my life also with out cheese or the occasional cream. I don't eat a lot of it, but to have none!?!? GULP. I must be eating something my body doesn't agree with... bc I just haven't lost weight. I've written thread of "look at my menu" or " please help me with this atkins thing" and I'm doing it right, i'm eating the allowed foods, there is no question about it. I track too!!

ugh I'm just want to give up and maybe i'll just be this weight forever.
sorry I'm so down. I'm just sad, mad, and angry and my body for not working like everyone else is and losing ugh I hate how negative I am, but I just need to say it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 18:06

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

It sounds like your body is overruling your desire to weigh less. As athletic as you are, I'm guessing you have much more muscle mass than the average woman, probably appear much more fit than you give yourself credit for.

Assuming you've been eating a clean Low Carb plan, perhaps the best thing is to concentrate on simply eating healthful food for a while (meaning Paleo or Primal - which allows dairy) and stop thinking so much about the weightloss aspect. In other words eat good food to satisfaction and let your body find its level.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 22:16

BF:

ya, maybe you are right.. maybe I just need to be where I am and just know I'm healthy and not focus on losing.

I just one day want to know what will kick my weightloss into gear

Last edited by Yoga11 : Tue, Apr-09-13 at 22:30.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 04:35
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 216/208/130 Female 5.1
BF:ugh its everywhere
Progress: 9%

Definately have a look on 'Marks Daily Apple' is you dont already, great articles on why you may not be losing but also on exercise etc for paleo eating...I love the site
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 17:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another Mark Sisson fan. I put his two articles with 20+ reasons someone may not lose on a primal diet here..http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=450891

Primal doesn't necessarily have to be low carb, but without grains and sugar and pasta, it is lower carb than the SAD. Maybe the focus on quality rather than just carb counting would nudge the weight loss.

A simple Paleo Type plan with dairy: http://authoritynutrition.com/low-c...-plan-and-menu/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-10-13 at 17:52.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 18:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Are you upset about how much you weigh or about how you look?

Because I weigh about 15 pounds more than I did... when I was wearing pants a whole size larger!

Also, I find that constant experimenting is how I've kept my weight stable and in a good place for me. I had several round of antibiotics last year because of Sick Building Syndome; now that's under control, I've wound up adding ten pounds when I also wanted to lose another ten.

But since doing the same thing means getting the same results, I've changed it up by dropping veggies entirely and going to one big meal a day, with lots of fat and protein and a bit of fruit.

Working great so far, day five.

My point is that there are so many things to try.

Last edited by WereBear : Thu, Apr-11-13 at 03:29.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 218.6/201.8/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

One time a friend of mine didn't lose weight the first month, neither did she lose weight the 2nd month. On the middle of the 3rd month, she stepped on the scale and had lost 4 pounds in one night, the day after she'd lost another 4 pounds. It means that the body sometimes holds onto weight, the scales lie, and though you are losing weight, the body stubbornly is in denial, hangs on as tightly as it can, and suddenly you finally lose the water weight you'd been holding onto... Good luck~
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 218.6/201.8/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

One time a friend of mine didn't lose weight the first month, neither did she lose weight the 2nd month. On the middle of the 3rd month, she stepped on the scale and had lost 4 pounds in one night, the day after she'd lost another 4 pounds. It means that the body sometimes holds onto weight, the scales lie, and though you are losing weight, the body stubbornly is in denial, hangs on as tightly as it can, and suddenly you finally lose the water weight you'd been holding onto... Good luck~
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 05:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sorry that nothing seems to be working right now. These are great replies you have already had. I second the suggestion that you need to step back a bit and take a break from trying so hard.. Just enjoy the food and make the healthiest choices you can, while being mindful not to gain, of course. Once you're ready to continue there will be lots of different paths to explore:

Have you looked over Dr. Atkins' recommendations in his book? You could try some of the supplements he suggests - one or two at a time. For example, lecithin helps the body to burn fat.. and I seem to remember that he cited a trial which found that people who supplemented with vitamin C had a slight advantage over those who didn't.

I cannot remember what was suggested to you in other threads... but have you tried including oily fish and increasing the green leafy veggies in your diet? Swapping the Omega 6 oils in your diet for omega 3 ones will possible cut down on any inflammation, also swapping your normal cooking oil for coconut oil might help your body to move into a more ketogenic state, the oily fish might help to boost your vitamin D levels - that can help some people to lose better.. and plenty of nutritious leafy veggies like kale (preferably organic) will supply important nutrients, which might assist in making your body work more efficiently.

I know that you're quite active already, and on your feet all day, but have you considered adding in some of that high intensity short-term exercise? Basically you'd do bursts of 30 seconds of vigorous activity on an exercise bike or similar several times a week.. Here's an article about it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-activity.html

I'm just thinking that perhaps introducing something a bit different might jump-start your system a bit.

Another thing to try is raising your carbs a bit by adding plenty more veggies. Some people need more carbs than others, and you might be one of them. The beauty of Atkins is that it is a very flexible plan.

I know how you're feeling - I get stuck at 168 or thereabouts - I haven't managed to get my weight below that in all the years I have been low-carbing. It's only 4lbs above a normal weight for my height, but in my case there is too much fat and flab, so I cannot kid myself that this is a healthy state. Occasionally I get the blues about the lack of weight-loss. I find that focusing on enjoying my food choices and concentrating on my health and feeling good about myself really help me to keep things in perspective.

I have started to experiment with raising my carb and calorie levels, and also trying out different foods. I am not doing a very strict form of the diet, so there's plenty of leeway for creamy sauces, berries, nuts and some low-carb baking occasionally. Having said that, I am quite strict about sticking to a fairly clean diet. I avoid anything artificial, limit dairy and products, and generally don't use sweeteners apart from stevia.

Someone called Christina posted something very helpful recently in response to a query about slow losing / regaining. It gave me lots of ideas which I can try in the future. I hope it's helpful to you as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinright
My general advice that comes from personal experience and many years of observing others on low carb forums.

C&P from my journal:
1. Make sure you're eating within 200 calories of your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ ) with your fat % over 60. (75% is even better) If you’re in induction phase, 12-15g of your carb grams should come from vegetables. OWL, aim for 30 -40 carbs with 75% of carbs coming from vegetables. (Aiming for an average trend on this, not daily perfection)
2. If you're eating any bars, shakes, sugar-free candy,gum, or alcohol containing drinks, try going without them for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
3. Foods that are fermented, moldy or yeasty can cause problems for some people at a certain point.(That point can be at induction) Kraut, pickles, vinegar, soy sauce, mushrooms, cheese, dairy in general, nuts...and dried spices that have been around a while.
4. Artificial sweeteners and caffeine affect weight loss for a very small % of people.
5. Thyroid function and medications can also affect weight loss.
6. You could have a food intolerance. Common ones include eggs, soy, milk and cheese.

On my first round of low carb, I had to pull all of the foods from #2, 3 and 4 out and test them individually to see what my body liked. For me everything I listed in #2, plus most dairy, all commercial salad dressing and olive oil (my body is weird. I know of no one else who has issues with olive oil) had to be eliminated for me to get past the 160 pound mark.
It can sometimes be like a little experiment with your body as you try to find what foods work best for your individual body.

And don't forget to revisit your Dr. Atkins book for other reasons for no loss. (The chapters on metabolic resistance, yeast reactions, engine stalled? and food intolerance should be most helpful) I had to do this recently myself. A medication I was taking was the culprit. Had I not picked the book up again, I might have just given up instead of finding my answer.

Reality is, the plan/diet will have to be worked and focused on every day for life to reach and maintain.

I think some of us suggested that you try raising your calories in response to one of your previous posts.. Did you try that? I tend to undereat myself, and I am currently focusing on raising my own calories. Adding about 300-500 calories to my daily diet hasn't changed my weight at all, but it has got me closer to my basal metabolic requirements. I'm hoping that if I can boost my system to a more normal intake of food, then perhaps I'll have more energy and my body will burn the fat for fuel rather than hanging onto everything. It does take a bit of effort in terms of tracking and planning, but eating more indulgent and delicious food more than compensates for the extra work.

Good luck with your diet. Stick around. I'm sure that you'll find a way forward if you keep experimenting.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 08:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga11
I've been doing Low-carb Atkins since january and only lost 3lbs. and its been up and down and up and down. Because I didn't really lose weight (it just fluctuates) I'm really giving up hope. I started reading a lot about Paleo and i love it. I'm just super tired of cutting everything out of my diet and having no success with weight loss. Switching to Paleo is just taking out the dairy and butter, but I'm already feeling to restricted. Maybe LC isn't for me? I just can't imagine my life also with out cheese or the occasional cream. I don't eat a lot of it, but to have none!?!? GULP. I must be eating something my body doesn't agree with... bc I just haven't lost weight. I've written thread of "look at my menu" or " please help me with this atkins thing" and I'm doing it right, i'm eating the allowed foods, there is no question about it. I track too!!

I came to Atkins for weight loss and then went "mostly" paleo for health reasons. Yes, restricting dairy was the hardest part, although some folks adopt paleo with a little dairy and call themselves "primal".

In general people usually have a harder time thinking about giving up dairy than the actual act of giving up dairy. It is a huge psych-out, but when you reflect back on it you may find it isn't that hard. At least that is how it was for me and a number of other people who have posted.

What might work for you is to give it a two-week trial. You can do anything for two weeks, right? If it works then you've got a new tool in the toolbox, if it doesn't do anything for you then you can go back and know.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 09:19

BF:

Wow I just got back to this thread I posted and getting all these posts makes me not want to give up. thank you all for calling me to my food greatness!

Werebear: Since the Holidays (not too long ago) I just don't fit into my jeans still so i'd like to just get that down. haha I don't need to be "skinny" by any means. but yes I could be this weight and technically be "smaller"

Marks daily apple? never heard... I'll read it right after I post this!

Kristeen, That list of check marks; I've done all except a small amount of cheese or a dollop of sour cream. I really don't eat much. Thats a good list tho! I should go to WF and buy Letchin....

Nancy, You could be right about giving up cheese... maybe I will give it a 2 week try.. and yes I can do anything for 2 weeks!

Jey, reading those articiles now!
I'll post again if I see anything that pops out!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-13, 23:27

BF:

for all the wonderful LOVE and SUPPORT I received from everyone I wanted to update you!
GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!! I'm losing weight. FINALLY!
after 4 months of it not budging, I got it!
I did better on primal and I'm IFing (Intermittent fasting)
I have a time eating window 11-4pm (it can be anytimes you really want) but it has to last 4-6 hours. Ah! finally! I stuck to it. I found my niche and I did it! yippie!!! <3 <3 thanks to everyone who really let me vent sometimes. I'm on my way to 20lbs lighter! WOOHOO!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-13, 06:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

That is awesome news!

My own body likes IF very much, also... I've gone to one big sumptous meal a day, and feel great on it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-13, 06:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great news. Mark Sisson has good article on IF with all its variations. Some other IFers recommend shaking it up sometimes, e.g. One day a week have 3 meals, or change the time of the eating window. Important that you can IF "comfortably"..do not stress your body with hunger, this is especially true for women.
Btw, did you give up dairy? It would be interesting to give it up completely for a month (do the Whole30 plan) and then challenge it back in.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 21:04

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

this is about my 100th time on induction this is an expensive WOE.debating on cutting out all drinks but water but i struggle with that bc i like my crystal light or my tea with splenda, but i feel like i cant trust artificial sweeteners i keep hearing bad things about all of them. . im on my 3rd day i dont know if i have lost bc i didnt weight myself before i started but i startd 3 days ago this is my 3rd night i just had a baby. well 2 months ago now. so im ready to sty on full force. trying to keep my chese down to 4 oz a day i did well today that's my biggest challege i love cheese. alot of this information helps but I am about to pick up my 1972 copy of Atkins.