Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:04

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default almond macaroons

I'm not usually a huge fan of deviant paleo baking, but I made these cookies today and they are just too good not to share.

ALMOND MACAROONS
----------------------

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup erythritol
1/4 tsp NuNaturals pure stevia extract
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a large cookie sheet.
2. Beat egg whites and salt until frothy. Gradually add erythritol and stevia, beating continuously until mixture forms stiff peaks. By hand, fold in almonds, shredded coconut, and almond extract.
3. Drop by walnut-sized spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake in center of oven for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Store in a closed container.

I adapted this recipe from a book I got out of the library called Fabulous Lo Carb Cuisine by Ruth Glick.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita45
I found this recipe on the Observer website by Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall - if the sugar is scrapped it seems like it could be pretty Paleo friendly. The reason I was interested is because it contains no egg (which I'm allergic to):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst...y-whittingstall

Castagnaccio

This traditional Ligurian cake contains no gluten or raising agent, so it won't rise like a traditional cake. Instead, it's dense and rich without being too sweet. You can buy organic chestnut flour from shipton-mill.com (£3 for 500g).

5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
25g sultanas
400g chestnut flour
60g caster sugar
A pinch of sea salt
Zest of an orange
30g pine nuts
1 good pinch fresh rosemary leaves

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/ gas mark 2. Brush a 22cm springform cake tin (or similar) with some of the oil. Soak the sultanas in hot water for about 10 minutes, so they plump up while you prepare everything else.

Sieve the flour into a large bowl and whisk in the sugar, salt, zest and about 400ml of water. Stir until you have a smooth batter, then add the rest of the olive oil, beating as you add it. Pour the mixture into the tin, scatter over the pine nuts, sultanas (drained and dried) and rosemary, and bake for about 45 minutes.

I'm really intrigued by this, thanks for posting. I've had my eye on some chestnut flour for months, now I have an excuse to finally buy it.

Here's a US source :
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catal...lour-p-135.html
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 03:00

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

I've been curious about chestnuts and their flour too! Here's a recipe I found, which could be adapted pretty easily, I think:

CHESTNUT CAKE (adapted from Gourmet)

GLUTEN FREE
1/2 C mild olive oil
1 C chestnut flour + add'l for dusting
1/4 C hazelnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 C mild honey
1/4 C sugar (sub for raw honey??)

Toppings:
powdered sugar or
whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts -- Place an oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350o F. Spray a 9 - 9 1/2" springform pan with non-stick spray and dust with chestnut flour.
-- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Rub the nuts in a kitchen towel to remove the loose skins. Some skin will probably remain. Chop until medium fine in a food processor.
-- Mix together the chestnut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then stir in the nuts.
-- In another bowl, beat together the egg yolks, oil, honey and 2 tbsp sugar until thick and pale -- about 5 minutes. Add the flour mixture and mix at low speed until well mixed.
-- Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt in another bowl with clean beaters until they form soft peaks. Add the remaining 2 tbsp sugar a little at a time until the whites hole a soft peak. Fold into the cake mix 1/3 at a time until well mixed. Pour into cake pan. Bake 30 minutes. Then loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake another 10-15 minutes.
-- Place on rack to cool. Remove pan's side.
-- Sprinkle with powdered sugar as shown or top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 08:33

BF:

You know, I found some unsweetened chestnut puree on the sale rack awhile back and bought it on a whim. I have no idea what to do with it. I don't even know if I like chestnuts.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 09:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If I recall correctly chestnut flour is pretty starchy stuff.
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 13:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
You know, I found some unsweetened chestnut puree on the sale rack awhile back and bought it on a whim. I have no idea what to do with it. I don't even know if I like chestnuts.

I made a good soup with it this winter from this cookbook (a carby book).

As I remember it without hunting down the book, you sautee onion and celery (maybe garlic?), add some herbs de provence, chestnut puree and chicken broth and puree the whole thing. Before serving, you reheat the soup and add bite-sized pieces of raw chicken, simmer till the chicken is just cooked through. Serve.

It was very good but too carby to become a daily recipe for me. Chestnut puree is bland; it could pass for refried beans. You could tell people the soup was bean soup and almost no one would be able to tell the difference.

If you're still trying to consume lots of fat you could easily hide it here. Fat gets emulsified into pureed soups. And if you're still avoiding protein, you could just skip the chicken pieces.
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 19:16

BF:

Thanks for the tips Allison! I don't know how much longer my Dr. K experiment will last, but either way it gives me ideas.
  #143   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 06:54

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Rhubarb Crisp
1. Take equal amounts of rhubarb and strawberries
2. Chop or process until chunky
3. Leave to "marinate" for a few hours in fridge
4. To make topping, process together some soaked walnuts, coconut oil, unsweetened shredded coconut, and sweetener to taste
5. Put the topping on the rhubarb mixture and eat raw or bake at 200 C until the top is browned
  #144   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 07:57

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

This thread reminded me of a popular recipe from the days when I used to hang out on the alt.support.diet.paleolithic usenet group. I may just have to make these again sometime soon:

Coconut-almond muffins

(Originally from Don Wiss, a recipe for the Neanderthin diet)

1 cup almond butter
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup pure coconut milk
2 cups grated unsweetened coconut
3 eggs

beat and pour in muffin cups. Cook at 400 for 15 minutes.

These are not overly sweet (no un-paleo sweeteners added), but they have a great texture and are very tasty.
  #145   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
This thread reminded me of a popular recipe from the days when I used to hang out on the alt.support.diet.paleolithic usenet group. I may just have to make these again sometime soon:

Coconut-almond muffins

(Originally from Don Wiss, a recipe for the Neanderthin diet)

1 cup almond butter
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup pure coconut milk
2 cups grated unsweetened coconut
3 eggs

beat and pour in muffin cups. Cook at 400 for 15 minutes.

These are not overly sweet (no un-paleo sweeteners added), but they have a great texture and are very tasty.

Thanks for that Debbie. How many does it make? Sounds like more than a dozen.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Thanks for that Debbie. How many does it make? Sounds like more than a dozen.

Actually I think it does make just around a dozen.
  #147   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 10:25

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
This thread reminded me of a popular recipe from the days when I used to hang out on the alt.support.diet.paleolithic usenet group. ...

It's sad, now the only posts in alt.support.diet.paleolithic are spam. Still though, there are at least some interesting resources in the groups... I noticed sci.anthropology.paleo had some decent threads in amongst the disturbing pr0n and Rolex spams, for example this thread about modern humans eating neanderthals.
  #148   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 13:24

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

neanderthal pie, anyone?
  #149   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:07

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Just made the Nourishing Gourmet's Lemon Curd. Pretty damn high on carbs if you use honey, but absolutely delicious.

the Walnut Cookies look promising
  #150   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:20

BF:

I made that lemon curd to go on her lemon curd bars for a potluck I went to over the weekend and it was REALLY good.

I made the walnut cookies for the potluck too but I read the recipe wrong and they turned out with the texture of pancakes and insanely sweet - I halved the recipe but forgot to halve the honey. I'm sure they would be good with the right proportions. I didn't bring them with me to the event since they were so weird, so now I have to eat them myself.