Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/253/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Way/Too/Much
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Swollen ankles, fingers, etc.

Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone else has dealt with this: I have always had a tendency to retain water. Even when I've been thin. It runs in my family... all the women in my family deal with swollen ankles, etc. It used to be worse in hot weather, and when I sat a lot. Now, my ankles are swelling BADLY, along with my fingers and my face gets puffy. ALL of this seems to happen when I eat a high-carb, high-sugar, high-JUNK diet. When I go on low carb, after a few days, the swelling is totally gone from my fingers and face and my ankles are 95% better. I think I'm literally POISONING myself with sugar/starch. Does anyone know if there's a relationship between blood sugar and water retention?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 11:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieDog
Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone else has dealt with this: I have always had a tendency to retain water. Even when I've been thin. It runs in my family... all the women in my family deal with swollen ankles, etc. It used to be worse in hot weather, and when I sat a lot. Now, my ankles are swelling BADLY, along with my fingers and my face gets puffy. ALL of this seems to happen when I eat a high-carb, high-sugar, high-JUNK diet. When I go on low carb, after a few days, the swelling is totally gone from my fingers and face and my ankles are 95% better. I think I'm literally POISONING myself with sugar/starch. Does anyone know if there's a relationship between blood sugar and water retention?
More than likely it's an intolerance to gluten causing the problem. The problem is has a hereditary component.

Gluten intolerance causes swelling and water retension in joints. It can also cause swelling of the face if you're allergic to gluten as well.

Gluten is naturally in wheat flour. It's also in processed products. When you eat lc, you avaid gluten containing products so the swelling disappears...until you eat some gluten again.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 11:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thats very interesting about the gluten intolerance symptoms!! Thanks for that!!

I'm one who also has a serious problem with swelling in my lower extremeties and have been tested for the genes that do cause this problem. The doctors told me that I've got floppy veins and have to wear surgical support hose daily. ...... it sucks but I do what they tell me to do.

But I also notice that I have to watch sodium intake and I also avoid eating wheat in general. So I avoid eating any processed meats as they can have alot of sodium...so no jerky, pepperoni, hot dogs, salami etc. other salted meats for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 14:16

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Does anyone know if there's a relationship between blood sugar and water retention?

Absolutely! High insulin levels cause water retention, along with everything else. My leg swelling improved dramatically when I went low carb.

It's also important to have calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vit. D in proper balance to counter act sodium, and it can be tricky to find the balance your body likes best.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 14:24
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies, everyone. The gluten intolerance is something I hadn't considered. I'll do a little research and see if I have any other symptoms. I definitely have many symptoms of metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, so even though I've gone on and off low carb several times before, it's now become an issue of my health and a real "must". I have the blessing of my doctor to go low-carb, so here I go. I'm trying for a lifestyle change that I can live with for good. And I'm trying to FEEL better. I definitely do when I go low-carb. I seem to do OK with moderate amounts of fruit so far and dairy isn't a problem... but I do NOT do well when I eat any grains, rice or potatoes. I've started a low glycemic load diet and I feel much better on it. Do any of you know anyone following this type of diet? How did they do with weight loss on it? Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 16:13
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

About 10 years ago I ate low glycemic and checked my blood sugar after every meal to see how it affected me. In 3 months I went from 158 to 120. Too bad I stopped doing that.

I live in Denver too and saw a pack of baby prarie dogs, oh my gosh they were cute!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 17:18
Registered Member

Nawchem.... If only I hadn't stopped low carbing the last time, too!!! I had lost 30+ pounds and weighed the least I had in 3 years. Now, (sigh) here I am again... back up to within a few pounds of the heaviest I've ever been. But, I can't dwell on past mistakes. Have to just learn from them and move forward. That's what I'm TRYING to do anyway! As for the baby prairie dogs, I just LOVE them. So many people think they're just pests, but I moved here from Ohio about 4 years ago and the first time I ever saw one, I fell in love with them. They're so cute and have so much personality. And I just love it every spring when the babies start coming up out of the nests. You'll see 7 or 8 of them on a mound with Mama and they're adorable.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 03:26

Plan: Slimfast
Stats: 216/184/174 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Prairiedog,

If you want to lose water try taking a couple of tablespoonsful of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water about 25 minute before your lunch and evening meal.

Vinegar has many helpful properties. It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, lowers your cholesterol, reduces inflammation and generally aids digestion.

You can also do the same adding it to your bath water.

Have to say that it does make you urinate strongly but then that's how it gets rid of excess water and toxins.

Give it a try.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 00:45
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Absolutely! High insulin levels cause water retention, along with everything else. My leg swelling improved dramatically when I went low carb.

I bet your blood pressure improved as well.
When I am retaining a lot of water I can actually feel that my blood pressure is on the high side.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 10:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can gain 4 pounds overnight from eating a single carby meal. It is definitely a WOE that increases the amount of water you store. And not only that, but I feel nasty and swollen.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

PrarieDog when I moved to Colorado last year I was my all time heaviest weight. Between the weight and the altitude I could barely walk. I've only lost 25lbs but its made a big difference. If you find the weightloss slow I'm suggesting not eating too much fruit, a little fructose isn't bad but more then about 15g makes insulin resistant worse then eating any other type of sugar.

You can do this!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 08:47
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions and support. I feel a thousand times better on this WOE, but I am finding the weight loss very slow. I'll cut back on the fruit. And I'll try the apple cider vinegar too. I actually like the taste of vinegar, so it shouldn't be too tough to down a little each day! My doctor is also ADAMANT about me getting some exercise (she suggested walking 30 min. per day). I like to walk, but it gets a little boring and I get a lot of blisters. I'm sure if I keep at it, that will improve. But, after 20 years of not riding a bike, I've found I really want to again. So I bought a really nice Trek "comfort" bike this week and have started riding about 45 minutes every day. It's so fun! I'm terribly out of shape, but it'll get better and at least I'm getting off my fat butt and actually MOVING! Thanks again everyone! You guys are awesome!