Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326/215/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default High levels of protein in urine.

I noticed I had foamy urine last night and this morning. I looked it up on google and some diseases that had it related the foamy urine to high amounts of protein in the urine. I havn't been drinking 64 oz of water a day, but I have been drinking at least 55oz of liquid (water and diet soda) a day. I had no idea that it could be this dangerous. I wish I wasn't so busy all the time. I am always in my car and my car is a stick shift sports car so I can't really have any drinks when I am driving so it's pretty hard to get what I need. And even if I could have drinks in the car, I doubt I would because I hate driving and having to the bathroom all the time. Any tips?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 08:50

Plan: OWL(modified)
Stats: 216.7/197.8/143 Male 173 Centimeters
BF:unknown
Progress: 26%

I doubt there's any tip to be given except for..

DRINK your WATER!..

stop for a pee here and there while driving and in return you wont be peeing protein shakes
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 09:50

BF:

I just urinated again and it was still foamy but it was clear. I also had large ketones. I am scared to have such high ketones when the urine is completely clear except for foam. I am also too scared to eat any protein for breakfast. So I ate a large banana (27 carbs) to knock me out or at least lower my ketosis and so I won't have to eat protein for breakfast. I know it is a very small breakfast but I don't really have much to eat that isn't protein. I also wanna save room for lots of water. I drank about 40oz so far this morning and I feel like I wanna puke >_<.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 09:51
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I would go to the Dr and ask for advice, it could be something completely different than what you found on the internet. Self diagnosis is ok, but you might be mistaken.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
I would go to the Dr and ask for advice, it could be something completely different than what you found on the internet. Self diagnosis is ok, but you might be mistaken.

I will if it doesn't stop in a few days.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 10:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 188/154/150 Female 63
BF:Allergic
Progress: 89%

I experienced that once when I first started working out with a personal trainer. I trained really hard w/weights and I thought that somehow that it was from some kind of acid buildup???

I tried doing searches too at the time, but it went away after a week. Still don't know exactly what it was, but I just drank my water and it subsided.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 11:51

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Beware: Diet Pop is just packed with sodium, so any water you are drinking in combination with it, is useless as far as your body benefitting from it...

cut down on the pop!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 12:03

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimbee
Beware: Diet Pop is just packed with sodium, so any water you are drinking in combination with it, is useless as far as your body benefitting from it...

cut down on the pop!
That soft drinks have a lot of sodium is a common misconception.
Quote:
Sodium

Because the names "soda pop" and "soda water" were associated with early soft drinks, many people falsely believe that carbonated beverages contain significant amounts of sodium. This is not true.

Sodium, in the form of various salts, is present in many natural and man-made compounds. It is an essential mineral nutrient responsible for regulating and transferring body fluids, as well as other important body functions. Although an adequate daily intake of sodium is necessary for good health, excessive consumption has been tied to high blood pressure in some people.

Soft drinks are not significant sources of sodium in the diet. In fact, the local drinking water supply used in making soft drinks contributes most or all of the sodium. Small amounts of sodium in some soft drinks can also come from certain ingredients.

Soft drinks are classified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as "low" or "very low" sodium foods. Even people who are advised to restrict their intake of sodium by their doctor can usually drink and enjoy soft drinks with their doctor's approval. Sodium-free soft drinks are also available.

#9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Impecca I would suggest you see your physician immediately. Think of the kidneys as a filter, in order for protein to go through the holes in the filter are enlarging. My friends get this from the autoimmune condition they have which attacks and will destroy their kidneys. With them they start blowing up because the kidneys clog and stop working.

I'm hoping your just having funky fatloss urine but I would get it checked out asap to be sure.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 12:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Toilet cleaner

make sure no-body's putting something new in the toilet tank to keep the bowl clean.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 12:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
make sure no-body's putting something new in the toilet tank to keep the bowl clean.

I urinated in a plastic cup to be sure and it was still foamy, not nearly as much now that I drank a bunch of water this morning. I would have went to the doctors today but I don't have medical insurance. Like I said above, if it hasn't cleared up in a few days I'll have to pay my way.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 13:13

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, la di da!

Either way, the bulk of daily intake SHOULD be water, not carbonated drinks.....

And personally, I notice I bloat up and fart like a Howitzer after too many Diet Pepsis...but that's just me I guess!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 00:38

BF:

Ok out of fear for my kidneys. I had 85 carbs today to try and knock me out of ketosis becasuse I remember reading somewhere that ketosis can be strainful on your kidneys and thats the last thing I want with foamy urine. I also drank like a gallon and a half of water today. I just tested my urine for ketones and I still have large ketones. (80 on the chart). Normally a cup of strawberries would knock me out of ketosis.

Today I had 3 bananas (75 carbs at least) and some guacamole for a couple hamburger patties. Any ideas of what's going on and why I wasn't knocked out of ketosis? I also just wieghed in at night after eating all that I have and drinking way more than usual and it shows me at 215... Thats the weight I normally have in the morning. I am worried that I might have lost 5 pounds in one day since I don't think that is very healthy now that I am nearing goal.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 01:10
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impecca
Ok out of fear for my kidneys. I had 85 carbs today to try and knock me out of ketosis becasuse I remember reading somewhere that ketosis can be strainful on your kidneys and thats the last thing I want with foamy urine. I also drank like a gallon and a half of water today. I just tested my urine for ketones and I still have large ketones. (80 on the chart). Normally a cup of strawberries would knock me out of ketosis.

Today I had 3 bananas (75 carbs at least) and some guacamole for a couple hamburger patties. Any ideas of what's going on and why I wasn't knocked out of ketosis? I also just wieghed in at night after eating all that I have and drinking way more than usual and it shows me at 215... Thats the weight I normally have in the morning. I am worried that I might have lost 5 pounds in one day since I don't think that is very healthy now that I am nearing goal.

Do you really have to pay just to see a local Dr in the USA??

And I hadn't heard that ketone bodies harm your kidneys, I thought it was only the 'brain food' that changed.

For me it takes at least overnight to two days to knock me out of ketosis. How much time have you allowed? Maybe you've got some diabetic tendencies, it's definitely advisable to visit a health practitioner and get an educated opinion. I look forward to hearing what the Doc says.

e
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 08:25

Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%

You have to pay every time you go see any type of doctor for any reason in the US. Even with insurance, I have to pay $20-30 each time I go see a dr.