Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 21:45
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up Davinci Custard Pie (You choose the flavor!)

I whipped this up tonight, and it will for sure be a staple dessert around here! It has a wonderful egg custard type middle, and a thin, soft, crust like top. You can use any flavor SF Davinci syrup, I used Kahlua, and it was wonderful! I look forward to trying other flavors in the future!

Davinci Custard Pie

1/2 cup Carbquick
3 eggs
1/2 cup Davinci SF syrup, your choice of flavor
3 Tbs. melted butter
1/2 cup CarbCountdown whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

Mix all ingredients well in mixer or blender.

Pour into a greased pie pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the middle is set.

Cool and serve with whipped cream.

Serves: 6
Calories: 197
Fat: 19
Net carbs: 2
Protein: 7
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 20:25
Registered Member

Stats: 250/239/150 Female 61 Inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm looking for a dessert to take to work on Thursday Becki, do you think this would be able to be made in a cake pan size? I know I would have to increase the amounts but I really would rather take something that I could have a small piece of rather than take two things

Also where would I get carbquick? Wal-mart, we have a Super Wal-mart here.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 20:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I tried this yesterday. Followed the directions carefully, but it didn't come out very well. It was really really wet and soggy and tasted too eggy. almost like sweet quiche...but not in a good way. maybe too much davinci?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 18:56
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

That's a bummer Coco I hope I remembered and typed the recipe right... mine turned out excellent.

Llynnya, after Coco said her's didn't turn out, I would hold off making it for company.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 19:03
Registered Member

Stats: 250/239/150 Female 61 Inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I couldn't find CarbQuick at the smaller store on my drive home so I picked up a couple things for a very gooey bar recipe that has 90million carbs in each bite. I am NOT kidding. But it was good and easy and I was too busy hosting the little party to even think about eating the SFjello with whipped cream I had made for myself.

But if I find some carbquick I want to try it, I like to make things and take into work for everyone occasionally, now if I am going to do that I need to use stuff I have here because my place is pretty much a Carb Free Zone now days.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 10:53

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Mine was also very wet and soggy but that is because I used skim milk instead of the CarbCountdown whole milk. What I did to compensate is I baked it for almost another hour. I'd cut a piece and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds before I ate it and I would put a bit of whipped cream on the top. Tasted kind of like bread pudding.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 11:48
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

I made another one using 1 cup of heavy cream in place of the 1/2 cream, 1/2 CC milk and it turned out even better.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 20:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/150/135 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress:
Question pie

Has anyone tried this latly i want to but i'm afraid to try it because of the soggy factor please let me know
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 00:51
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I made another one using 1 cup of heavy cream in place of the 1/2 cream, 1/2 CC milk

Does the change in ingredients change the nutritional info?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 17:53
Registered Member

Stats: 216/194.5/140 Female 5.2"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Egg Custard

Here is a simple egg custard that I make all the time.

5 large eggs (sometimes I use more, sometimes less, up to my chickens)
3 c Carb Countdown milk (or you can replace half this with heavy cream)
1/2 c splenda or 6 packets (or 1 tsp stevia powder or 5 packets)
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

Editing this now, I forgot to mention that you should grease the custard pan with butter or coconut oil.

Preheat oven to 350

Combine all and mix well with whisk. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with nutmeg if you like.

Place this pan in another bigger pan, I use a 13x9 inch glass baking dish. Pour boiling hot water in the bigger pan so that it comes up 1/2 to 3/4 the outside height of the pan containing the custard. (The secret to a good custard is baking it with water surrounding the pan it is in so that it bakes evenly.)

Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until a butter knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Perfect every time.

Entire recipe has 12.8 carbs, therefore, 1/8 serving would have 1.6 carbs.

Last edited by MaryJo : Sun, Jan-16-05 at 17:58.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 01:02

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%

Mary Jo, I absolutely LOVE custard pie - the custard pie at Bakers' Square used to be my favorite - and this sounds like it could be a wonderful substitute, as it has no crust. But what size dish are you baking it in? I understand about putting it in a water bath (a larger 13X9 glass dish filled at least 1/2 way up the side with water), but what size is the dish holding the ingredients? Also, could I use ALL cream or half and half? I really don't like Carb Countdown milk.

Thanks!
Michelle
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 19:20
Registered Member

Stats: 216/194.5/140 Female 5.2"
BF:
Progress: 28%

The glass dish I use is oblong, about 6" wide x 10-1/4 long" measured inside. This easily holds the 4 cups of liquid which is about what this recipe turns into.

You can use whatever combination of milks you want to use. I never use Carb Countdown milk to drink, but it's really good in this recipe because I can't tell the difference from regular milk...and it's low in carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 08:57
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I made the DaVinci pie for the second time, both times they have come out good. This time I used 4 eggs, instead of 3 and I added 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut. Both times I used the Hood CC and cream.

IMO, using a blender seems to work better than using a mixer, so I would suggest that.

It didn't really seem to matter what flavor syrup I used, they both just tasted like a custard pie. The first time I used Caramel flavor, and this time I used German Chocolate Cake. I sort of thought the German Choc would have given more of a choc flavor, but it really didn't.