Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-15, 08:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It went fine. Only did it for a couple of days, as planned. Very satisfying and easy way to eat fat and low protein.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding my personal experience...one person, tried it only once..so this is not exactly a brilliant experiment. I am re-starting fasting after a break but by 1pm was very hungry. Tried a whole avocado with 1T of Lemon Olive Oil, but an hour later was still ravenous.

Yesterday at 1pm, about the same hunger, had a can of salmon with 1T homemade olive oil mayo and was still feeling full by dinner. (Thanks teaser!) With some ground beef and coleslaw for dinner, my protein was still "moderate". For me, even after five years LC, sometimes fats just don't do it.
There have been discussions on this forum before that older people may need more protein, and an Atkins style fat fast didn't work for me either, I just seem to need more protein to prevent hunger. But darn, that avocado tasted good!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 04:30

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
There have been discussions on this forum before that older people may need more protein, and an Atkins style fat fast didn't work for me either, I just seem to need more protein to prevent hunger. But darn, that avocado tasted good!

This is interesting. I have been feeling kind of wonky the past few days, a little shaky and my stomach slightly off. Yesterday, after eating my usual amount in my 8 hour eating window (8AM-4PM) I was still really hungry and not feeling quite right. What I felt like eating was protein, so I did, doubling my usual amount. I felt much better quickly and was able to go out for a brisk walk in the evening, something I had not felt up to until then.

Jean
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 06:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

An avocado fat fast is my version of a solution with a perfect food. I eat a few avocados a week when I'm not fasting. I've been successful with a zero calorie approach having water, tea, and sometimes black coffee only, so I'm reluctant to add calories. Being in ketosis, I'd like to continue to feed on my own fat reserves without introducing exogenous fat.

The protein discussion is interesting. I've been attempting to find the sweet spot for me. One example is when I grill a steak that I plan to eat half for dinner and the other half the next day in a salad. Many times, that steak is gone and never sees the light of another day! However, I do notice I stay satiated longer in those cases and don't seem to leave ketosis or put on weight. It's particularly good the night before starting a fast, as it keeps me satisfied through the first day, and after that, my hunger is completely manageable. I suppose the best way for me to find this protein sweet spot is for me to weigh portions and maintain a 70 gram protein per day portion for a week to determine how I feel and determine whether it impacts weight, then increase to 90 grams the following week for a comparison. N=1, yet, I realize that how protein influences one is strictly a personal metabolic function and the sweet spot for each individual varies. I do feel great when I'm eating more, but I haven't restricted my protein intake to determine whether that feeling is purely a function of protein quantity or fat quantity or both.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 15:27

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I love diced leftover chicken with an avocado mashed in when I'm having one meal a day. Very satiating.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-15, 03:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I will have to try a larger portion of steak/meat the night before a fast day, thanks! Though weighing and comparing 70 to 90g would drive me nuts, let us know what works best for you. If you saw my new post on Dr Hallberg, her very very general guideline is 80g protein for women and 120g for men.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-15, 08:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That's exactly why I haven't tried the 70/90 method yet! Eating should not be complex. I did see your post on Dr. Hallberg's protein recommendations, and I like her guidelines. I think that's a reasonable window in which one can move up or down depending on external factors such as physical activity level, etc.

By the way, I'm about 48 hours into my current fast, and before I started, I made sure I had two days, two meals a day prior to starting where I had very healthy and good portions of fats, proteins and vegetables. The night before, I had a very large salad with meats and some cheese added with lots of olive oil in the dressing. The first 24 hours were very different in that I typically think I'm hungry during my normal eating times, noon and evening, but it's something I could always manage. This time, I didn't get a hint of that. I don't consume anything other than tea and water with some salt and magnesium supplements during a fast. Now, either I've gotten used to IF, or the meals prior had enough energy to make it a bit different this time. The IF experiments continue . . .

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Sep-24-15 at 08:33.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-15, 22:30

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

The protein discussion is interesting. I've been attempting to find the sweet spot for me. One example is when I grill a steak that I plan to eat half for dinner and the other half the next day in a salad. Many times, that steak is gone and never sees the light of another day! However, I do notice I stay satiated longer in those cases and don't seem to leave ketosis or put on weight. It's particularly good the night before starting a fast, as it keeps me satisfied through the first day, and after that, my hunger is completely manageable.

I have definitely noticed that--it is much easier for me to fast (24 hrs at longest) after eating a good quantity of red meat the night before. In fact I try to plan my breakfast skipping on those days. Red meat has always seemed to keep me full a lot longer, even smaller portions. But a good fatty steak lasts forever! I'm wondering if the L-carnitine has anything to do with this, as I read this initiates ketosis faster?
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 21:57

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

After I read this thread I had to get me a avocado lol
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 01:50

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Fun thread to read. I love avocados too but read in other places if to much consumed they will keep you running to the bathroom, just a little fyi. Sadly I can't have much avocado but so love guacamole on cucumber slices. Have to get off this forum, you guys are making me hungry!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 11:16
Experimenter

BF:

I didn't have that issue with them.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 11:23

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'd actually be happy eating all avocados all the time. They are a favorite of mine. Actually, I really like a lot of the "a" fruits/veggies: avocados, asparagus, artichoke. Maybe I should try the "a" diet!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:53
Experimenter

BF:

The "a" diet! LOL!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I may try this. Had surgery last week and my head isn't straight, so I'm straying a bit. Wondering if they are hard to get in the northeast during February. It would also be a great way to do lent on Fridays
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 22:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Avocados are in season in MX. They're inexpensive and delicious.