Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 22:38

Plan: LC + gluten free
Stats: 165/125/120 Female 5'6
BF:32%/??%/??%
Progress: 89%
Question Could it be my thyroid? Talking to my Dr..

Hi all,

I generally do not post on this forum, I prefer to quietly soak up all the glorious LC info. Having been on this forum for so long though, I know that the quality of posted information tends to be high, so I'm hoping for some advice. (Please!)

After mulling over a lot of symptoms that I hadn't realized could share a single cause, I'm considering going to my doctor to determine whether there is something is wrong with my thyroid.

I am hesitant to do so though, as I feel it will be an uphill battle because I am young and fit certain stereotypes, and it would be easier to perscribe me with anti-depressants. Also my Dr. has been dismissive several times I've visited her with (unrelated) complaints, and I'm nervous that she will not take me seriously.

*I will be going to a doctor regardless, because these symptoms are obviously part of a bigger problem. However, I'm wondering if I should explain to her that I am worried it is related to my thyroid, or just list the symptoms and hear her take on it? And do my symptoms even sound like they could be thyroid related?*

I'm 23, female, low-carbing and very active, but I've got a growing number of symptoms that I didn't realize were symptoms at all for the most part.

Longstanding (5yrs+) issues are things like: low grade depression/intrusive suicidal thoughts, poor memory/brain fog, anxiety, constipation, sore/tight throat, and feeling 'bad' in general.

I didn't pay much heed to the anxiety/depression because I figured they were purely genetic (father and brother suffer from both,) but now I am not so certain it is just genetics.

Recent ones are: thinning eyebrows (all over, not just outer edges,) pure white hairs (not grey, though I get those too) growing in my hair, nausea (especially mornings,) and lighter/more painful periods.

The more recent symptoms were what slowly led me to question whether it could be my thyroid. (My full list of symptoms is even longer, but I didn't want to make this post any longer. )

Any and all imput would be greatly appreciated.. I'm feeling a little lost!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 10:22

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Here is a link to a good website that may be helpful. It has a list of thyroid symptoms and lots of other good info. If your doctor is dismissive it may be time to shop around for a new one.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 15:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can always pay for your own testing and take the results to your doctor. At least then you'll know you've gotten the right tests done.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com is a good place to start.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 19:50

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%
Default Don't give up hope

Your story has rung some alarm bells with me. I first started showing those symptoms at the age of 15, and at the age of 22 gained 10kg in 6 months without any changes to my diet/exercise.

I just blamed myself - it didn't even enter my head that it might not be my fault. Commenced 8 years of dieting, sometimes to extremes, to try and undo the damage. 6 years later I was up to 97kg, 27kg more than my natural effortless weight, and without any explanation.

The best results I've had have been sticking to low carb (less than 30g) for 6 months straight (no cheats) and lost 7kg.

I lost my 20's to a disease, and way more depression and stress than I deserve.

I should note that 2 years ago, and again recently, I had my thyroid tested - HOWEVER. Doctors tend to not care, I've found. Despite the fact that a TSH test alone will tell you NOTHING about your thyroid health, they still only request that one test.

They should be looking at a whole range of things:
Thyroid antibodies
Free T3 & T4
Other hormones, such as oestrogen, progesterone, cortisol, testosterone and DHEA.
AND: a saliva test is more accurate than a blood serum result too boot.

If I were you (and lord knows I wish I could go back 7 years), I would DEMAND those tests. If the doctor refuses, tell him/her you're not paying them to ignore your health, and you have a right to tests.
If need be, see another doctor - ask around for one that will LISTEN to you.

Once you get your test results, make sure you get a copy too - don't just believe the doctor when they say "You're fine".
They compare test results to a range which is "generally acceptable for the population", however that result may be way off for you personally. We are all different, and what's healthy for one person might be deadly to another.

Take control of your health, and listen to the inner voice that tells you something's wrong.