Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/180/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Newbie & Hashimotos

Hello, All!

I have just started the Atkins 2 days ago (well, I sorta started it, I haven't given up milk in my coffee in the morning and afternoon, but have given up sugar and other carbs) I have Hashimotos, have had it for about 10 yrs and I was wondering if there are others here with it and had success w/ keeping and or losing weight on a low carb lifestyle? I don't actually eat that much, and am really confused as to why I am 50 lbs overweight. I even workout on a bike and TurboJam or Tae Bo 2-4 times a week. I'm not really a sit around kinda girl. I will say this weight didn't start coming on until I decided to become a SAHM (I have 6 kids), and that was around the same time that I was diagnosed w/ it. I take Synthroid and am not really interested in the more "natural" approach ie. Armor. (not that I'm not a person who likes natural approaches, just not interested in using pigs thyroid as a treatment but am open to other ideas ;-)

TIA for reading...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 08:01

Stats: 150/143.3/138 Female 5'5"
BF:27.9
Progress: 56%

6 kids! Wow! I'm showing my age here but what is SAHM? I'm guessing Single Mother?

If you switch your coffee milk to half and half or cream, there are less carbs! And the coffee is oh so much better.

Also, you're just getting into the carb withdrawal phase. Whenever I come back to Atkins, which I have done frequently over the last 10 years, I really dislike day 3. But I know that if you make it through it without going for that loaf of bread or pizza, you'll really feel great.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I take Synthroid and am not really interested in the more "natural" approach ie. Armor. (not that I'm not a person who likes natural approaches, just not interested in using pigs thyroid as a treatment but am open to other ideas ;-)

There are synthetic alternatives. There's a synthetic T3 called cytomel. Lots of people don't do well on T4 therapy only and need T3 added.

Just curious, but what have you got against porcine derived thyroid meds? We get a lot of medicine from other animals. The most popular hormone replacement (at one time anyway) comes from mare urine.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 12:43
Registered Member

BF:

My endocrinologist doesn't believe in anything but synthroid? I have not heard of other forms of medication besides the armour before today. I will have to look into that some, thanks! I do pretty well w/ synthroid though, I am as if I'm not sick like before I got diagnosed. No more symptoms so not really sure if I even want to try anything else. Outside of being fat, I'm mostly pretty happy w/ myself.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

SAHM = stay at home mom ;-)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 14:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennhebert
My endocrinologist doesn't believe in anything but synthroid? I have not heard of other forms of medication besides the armour before today. I will have to look into that some, thanks! I do pretty well w/ synthroid though, I am as if I'm not sick like before I got diagnosed. No more symptoms so not really sure if I even want to try anything else. Outside of being fat, I'm mostly pretty happy w/ myself.

If you feel good, that's what counts. Lots of us don't feel normal on synthetic thyroid so adding some T3 helps a lot, whether it is synthetic or natural isn't necessarily all that important IMHO. You're unlikely

If you start feeling cruddy, no energy, having hypothyroid symptoms then it is time to dig a little deeper.

I think a lot of us have difficulty losing weight even with thyroid meds. I know I sure do. Your mileage may vary, hopefully it will.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jan-04-12 at 14:30.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 14:27

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%

Hi. I also have Hashi's, and have been living with it for about 8 years maybe. I take Cytomel (T3 replacement) in addition to my "regular" thyroid pills (t4 replacement).
Low carb is the only way of eating that works for me.
If I eat like my husband, a vegetarian, I gain weight, even if calories are low and fat is low.
When I get lazy and start to eat like him, due to stress, lack of time, etc., I gain weight and feel crappy.
I hope that you'll stick with it and see if it helps you lose weight.
Best,
Didi
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 10:24

Plan: HCG,Atkins
Stats: 210.8/194.4/145 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:56%
Progress: 25%

I too was just diagnosed Hashi's two days ago.

I eat low carb and gluten free. I was minimal gluten before the appointment. However, Hashi's is a auto immune disorder. Our bodies treat our thyroid as public enemy number 1 and attacks it. Well, from what I have read and it does make sense to me and thru my experiences. When eating wheat it can trigger the auto immune response thus attacking our thyroids and causing havoc. Now the thyroid is irritated resulting in hyper/hypo symptoms. I hope I explained that right.

So, to sum up in a statement that said it best I just recently read on a FB Hashimoto's Thyroid Autoimmune page:

"Taking medication for the thyroid does not help the Hashimoto's. It only helps the the thyroid. Hashimoto's has to be handled with nutrition. There is no drug or medication that will fix Hashimoto's. Remember Hashimoto's is an immune disorder more than a thyroid problem. You must slow down or stop the attack on the thyroid with the right nutritional protocol."

Warm wishes,
Michelle
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

Hashi's can go into remission and going GF may help that. But if you need thyroid hormone replacement then there's no getting around that unfortunately, although it can kind of come and go during the course of hashi's.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 13:45

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

NAC is a very good supplement for Hashimto's and for thyroid health.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/5...ine-hashimotos/

There's lots of good info about it also on "Thyroid About." If you do have thyroid inflammation or a goiter, thyroid hormone replacement can be used successfully to "block and replace" to give your own thyroid gland a rest to reduce the inflammation.

Also, there is good information here on Dr. Alexander's site (videos) about Hashi's. Not sure I agree with ever using iodine but his information regarding "block and replace" is excellent and informative.

www.hopeforhashimotos.com
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-12, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 143/112.6/115 Female 62 inches
BF:33%/24%/15%
Progress: 109%

I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for about 11 years now. I take Synthroid and Cytomel. Have not been able to lose weight since I was 14 years old (I'm 34) no matter what I did. I've even ran 3 marathons and I just kept gaining more weight. So in 2010 I gave up exercising for a while and started low carb/zero carb and I finally started losing weight. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I'm the thinnest I've been since I was 14.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-12, 17:56

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
NAC is a very good supplement for Hashimto's and for thyroid health.

Interesting. Have you tried this? Has anyone?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 10:43

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Here's another article about NAC. I use it everyday and have had some positise results. I had a large goiter that has shrunk .. It was 2 x 3 cm and that particular lesion is gone.

http://sarah-tomley.suite101.com/ho...disease-a267201
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 07:47

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 130/121/120 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Hashimoto brought on by underlying health condition (candida)

Hello

just wanted to say that sometimes thyroide disorders can be caused by underlying health conditions like candida.

I had hashimotos and got treated for it.

Years later I developed eczema and food allergies. When I looked into it I found out that my problems were caused by an underlying yeast infection that had never been treated, which manifested itself in sneezing (which I thought was hayfever) bloating and so on.

When I changed my diet to low carb not only my eczema and allergies cleared up I also lost lots of weight.

Apparently your body encapsulates toxins and undigested food particles in water and fat tissue to keep it away from your vital organs. That's why it's impossible to lose weight until you have adressed the allergy issue.

When I read up on yeast infections I found out that it's a constant strain on the thyroid as there are non stop toxins from the yeast in your system and your thyroid goes into overdrive to balance this out. Hence eventually your thyroid can be overwhelmed and developes an auto-immune disorder, like in my case.

I had no idea that digestion is linked to the functioning of the thyroid. But it plays a huge part. It's all linked and taking medication on it's own is not going to resolve the underlying issues. My doctors would have never diagnosed my underlying yeast problem.

So if you're not getting better or you can't lose weight - it's worth checking if you've got a yeast/ candida problem.

Once you know you have it, you can then tackle that with special medicine and by following a low carb diet called "Anti Candida or Candida Diet". It has helped me personally no end.

I'm putting together a blog with info about this stuff.

If you're unsure whether you might have an underlying problem you can double check whether you show any of the typical symptoms here:

Symptom Checklist

Hope this helps.

Take your health into your own hands.
Get well

Sandra