Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 398.0/374.4/170 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Just had gallbladder removed and question...

Hi all
I just had my gallbladder removed-the doc found 13 (yes 13!!!!!) gallstones. He said I have probably had them for years.

My question--I had no pain after surgery. I didnt take pain meds (well except for the ones they gave me immediately following it). I was released from the hospital yesterday and continue to do well.

My doc told me I could eat anything, but I a bit afraid. I have done well thus far. I have had eggs, butter, wheat toast, chicken salad and strawberries. All well tolerated.

My question is....I am doing so well with LC and LOVE how I feel. I want to stick with it. Any of you that had gall bladder removed have any good advice?

Hope Im writing this in the right place!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 11:49

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I had mine out 10yrs ago, and didn't change the way I ate at the time. Course, the way I was eating then eventually led me to weigh 276lbs! So you know I was eating lots of carbs and bad fats. When we went low carb, no problems at all. I'd say just go back to how you were eating before surgery and let the pounds fall off!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 12:56

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

I spent 2 years eating next to nothing, and not sure how I didn't become an alcoholic trying to live a normal life before my operation. All I could eat was either plain boiled rice, pickles or a banana... nothing else. The slightest amount of fat would give me 5 hours of the worse pain. When your constantly hungry, wine is a help. Not a good thing but, it just took the edge off. After my operation, everything out, gallbladder and a million stones, you can eat what you like......but! just go easy on the fats...not low fat just not way too much fat as you will trigger your bile duct to overact and then you will get the runs..... this is a smalll price to pay for a painfree life....that is my story.

post.... op. at 15.30p.m. home by 10.00a.m.next day. no pain meds just anti-biotics....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 15:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Ramp the fat up slowly and you should be able to handle it, based on what other people have shared. After all, you are still getting bile; just not all at once!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 17:46

BF:

Thanks all

I got it out Wed evening, and so far I am doing fantastic! Still no pain meds, moving around great and feeling WONDERFUL! No more pain in my sides or shoulders or back!!!!

I have eaten whatever I wanted--still LC--and no probs thus far! Im very excited. I am watching my fat a bit just because that is what others tell me-but my doc told me I could eat whatever I wanted. lol Im scared everytime I eat, but so far, so good. I had a 3 egg omlette made in butter with onions, mushrooms, chicken, and cheese this morning and had no probs.

I just cant believe how much better I feel with this thing out!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 19:21

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lol, I had mine out just before they had the easy surgery. I have a 5 inch scar from the survey, but for free he also took out my appendix! Lol. Anyway, I had a problem with butter, I could tell when butter was used to cook something. I had a bit of discomfort in the very beginning, But now, full on Atkins with coconut oil added, I am fine. Your body will get used to it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 19:45

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

3 kids mom, you had the same outcome to the surgery that I had (4 years ago). I had to remind myself that I had had surgery, I felt so good. I went home and made myself supper, as if nothing had happened. However, I was careful not to lift anything for the prescribed time. I eat low carb, as much fat as I want. But let me eat something sugary and I have diahrrea. For me, It's the sugar, not the fat that gets me.

Glad you had a good experience!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 20:38

BF:

Hi all

Just in case anyone is searching for info on gall bladder removal, I thought I would update.

I am doing INCREDIBLY WELL! I no longer have any pain in my back and shoulders at all. I eat whatever I want (LC, of course) and have not had any case of cramps or diarrhea yet. Im very excited I feel wonderful and the surgery scars are healing well

I have eaten high fat, LC cheesecake, steaks, eggs, butter, cream, lettuce...you name it-if its LC, I have eaten it!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 11:54

Stats: 230/204/150 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your comments. It has been my greatest concern / fear that no gall bladder would short circuit my Atkins diet. I feel so much better. Have found that for me the fat WITH some fiber - meat / fresh veggies - seems to work better than too much oil / butter / etc on their own. Uncomfortable when I over do it, not painful. Mine was taken out, oh ...15 years ago, with a mess of gallstones to prove it - 6 of which were stuck in the duct. Glad to be over that.
Thanks all. Now I have the confidence to dive into the"deep end" and really get healthy!