Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 11:46

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Cheesy Jalapeno Squares

I ran across this recipe in a local group's cookbook--and it was already low-carb! No adjustments were necessary.

4 eggs, well beaten
4 cups sharp cheddar, grated
4 canned jalapeno peppers-chopped (remove seeds to reduce heat)
1 to 2 tsps. chopped onion

Mix all ingredients together and pour into ungreased 8" x 8" pan (I used a good non-stick pan, so I don't know if this has a tendency to stick in an uncoated pan).. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until nice and firm. Cut into 16 squares.

This has been a nice treat for me, as a snack (alone or with veggie sticks) or even a side dish with meals. A small can of chopped chili peppers could be substituted for the jalapenos to reduce "heat", if desired.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 09:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

These were really good. I love jalapenos. I used less cheese, about 4 oz (3 cups?), so they came out more like a quiche, but still excellent. I served the leftovers to my DBF for breakfast. I forgot to ask how he liked them, but they disappeared, so I'll assume that was a .

I think I'm going to try something similar with a cream cheese base next time. I love jalapeno poppers, but they're a pain to make and the cheese usually melts all over the place. Squares might be easier and less messy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 11:30

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Yep, cheese and jalapenos--2 of the most perfect foods on earth! Mine were a bit "quiche-like" too (with a thin layer of egg on the bottom), but they sure didn't taste eggy to me. I found also that I liked them better after they had cooled and hardened a bit. The best was after refrigeration and then reheating in the micro for a few seconds (how many foods can we say that about?)...
So glad that you liked them, Kristine! If you do try the cream cheese, please let us know what you think...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 15:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

LC I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there are sure to be some. Non-LC though Lasagne!!!

I'll have to try these or a variation. The cheese seems like quite a bit though. If you are limiting to 4oz of cheese a day that is like 16 servings.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 05:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/170/105 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Smile Ultimate Goal

Ladybelle~
I love your ultimate goal. Just last night I was thinking when I'm thin I'll be able to look at that scar. I think that I'll make that my personal goal too! How funny, yet how true!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 01:04

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

My friend used to make this all the time - too bad I wasn't doing low carb at then!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 15:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

thanks for adding this recipe to the site. i made it the other day..what a wonderful side dish. i am making more this week to freeze..if it lasts that long!! p.s. i want to thank everyone who takes the time to help everyone else by sharing the recipes and solid advice. it makes me feel so motivated about lcing for life!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-16, 11:06

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I made these this morning. Really good and easy! I used more jalapeņos because the hubs likes heat. I also used half cream cheese and half cheddar. Added splash of heavy cream just cuz. It's a keeper!