Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%
Angry Diabetes and LC

Something happened this week that really disturbed me! My grandmother handed me a little booklet she received in the mail, by the editors of Prevention Magazine (supposedly a health mag for those who don't know). The booklet is called Outsmarting Diabetes, and I was sickened by what I found inside. They had all kinds of tips and info for diabetics, including things like "eat nine servings of vegetables and fruits everyday", "eat three to six whole grain foods every day", "eat beans at least 5 times per week", on and on it went. In other words, they're advocating a high-carb, low-fat diet!

There were even more shocking things in the book, such as this suggestion: "Forego a carbohydrate and a fat serving at the same meal to leave room for dessert" (this was accompanied by a photo of a HUGE slice of choclate cake). In the back of the book they have recipes, all of them high carb. The dessert section is filled with "treats" that are loaded with refined white sugar!!!

And finally, the most shocking thing of all was this warning: "TAKE CONTROL: Avoid Wacky Diets - Experts recommend that you don't try any odd eating trends like the high-protein diets that recently gained popularity. This and other unbalanced diets may put undue strain on your body. Instead, stick to a well-rounded, low-fat, high fiber diet."

So eating lots of sugar is a "well-rounded" diet??!! I could not believe my eyes as I read this booklet. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Is it possible that some diabetics could do well on this type of diet? Maybe LC isn't for everyone. But it makes me sick to think that they could be causing even more problems for diabetics than they already have!

I should state here that I'm not diabetic, nor is anyone in my family, except my grandmother's sister, who has since passed away due to her disease. I can't help thinking that her doctors failed her by probably putting her on a diet just like the one I've described above. Who knows, maybe it was her whispering in my ear to change my eating habits before I ended up following the same path she did in her life. I do take after her in alot of ways, and I have no doubt that I would have ended up a diabetic if I hadn't taken control now. Maybe that's why I'm taking this so personally. Anyway, thanks for listening to my ranting and raving. I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this!

Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Feh!

Outsmarting? How about learning to live with it!

Prevention Magazine used to be on the fringe. Now they're talking head/lip service/advocates for their advertisers and the Food Pyramid.

Take that food pyramid and go mummify a...a...a...three-bean, brown rice and cheese burrito! Sheesh!

Was there any particular company who sponsored the booklet? If so, boycott.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 06:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down Prevention magazine

(.... climbing up onto soapbox. Ranting begins ..)

I used to be an avid reader of Prevention right from the early days of Rodale, when they advocated the completely wholistic, natural approach to preventive health and well-being. Now, it has become so mainstream, and the major sponsors and advertisers are pharmaceutical companies plugging antidepressants, Xenical and cholesterol-lowering drugs. My god, they're even pushing drugs you can get the vet to prescribe for your pets! ..

I resent the fact that the picture on the cover is ALWAYS a thin, young white female. Never a man, never someone of colour, never a plus-size or mature person, and nobody wears glasses or is in a wheelchair. Oh wait, one issue ONCE the young blonde woman was wearing very chic red-framed glasses.

In March 2000, the feature article was a write-up about the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets. I could just picture the author being dragged, kicking and screaming, long fingernail-drag-marks in the carpet, as she grudgingly admitted that MAYBE these diets were healthy, and MAYBE they were better for you than a steady diet of white bread and sugary foods. Prevention usually posts its feature articles on the website. Strange, last March's entry is mysteriously blank.

As for prevention.com, I read an email from a woman who stated her doctor had put her on a lowcarb diet to correct blood chemistry. She was having trouble sticking with the diet due to boredom. She wrote to prevention asking for help and ideas. The response was (no big surprise here) don't follow a lowcarb diet, it'll kill you in a flash. Eat more breads and cereals. First, this response was not from a trained nutritionist it was from the FITNESS editor. Second, who is this person to tell someone to NOT follow their doctor's orders. I'm a nurse; I'd lose my license to practise if I ever did that!

Ok, I'll get down off the soapbox now...

Karen, you make a good point about who sponsored the booklet. I remember picking up some pamphlets from my Employer Health office once, on heart disease and cholesterol. Lots of diet recommendations, and the warnings about the dangers of butter and animal fats. Flipped it over ... ooooooh, big surprise, published by Becel margarine. Yet, the cover was very clearly the red and white emblems of the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation. Let's try to guess the politics and profiteering behind THAT ...

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: 173/160/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Magazines

What is a good magazine out there fpr health and fitness?

Thanks,

Kat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It all depends on what you think health and fitness are. Gourmet, Food and Wine, Fine Cooking and Cooks Magazine suit me quite nicely!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:02
Registered Member

Stats: 173/160/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default What I used to read...

I used to read Women's Sports and Fitness before it was cancelled. Love that magazine.

I guess I am looking for something that isn't repeating itself all the time (I find so many of the fitness magazines do that, plus they always seem to have articles on the same thing each month).

Prevention sounds like it USED to be a magazine I would have enjoyed. Oh well...

~Kat
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Kat, iVillage.com is a good women's e-zine. Lots of fitness, health info .... and other life issues .... plus if you check out the Weight Loss Coach section ... Jonny Bowden is very pro-lowcarb.

http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts/wlcoach/

Of course, you can't read it while sitting in a waiting room, or under the dryer at the hair salon.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Diabetes and LC

Quote:
Originally posted by wenderwomn
So eating lots of sugar is a "well-rounded" diet??!! I could not believe my eyes as I read this booklet. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Is it possible that some diabetics could do well on this type of diet? Maybe LC isn't for everyone. But it makes me sick to think that they could be causing even more problems for diabetics than they already have!

I know, it just defies logic, doesn't it? But in "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution," he talks at length about how the high-carb, low-fat and low-protein diet got to be THE diet for diabetics, and how the assumptions that were made back then (this goes back to the 1950's at least) have been proven to be oh so wrong. He explains everything SO much better than I could, so please read more about it here: http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.co...appendixa.shtml . You can also read much of the rest of his book there too.

Last edited by DebDaCajun : Sat, Sep-01-01 at 07:53.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 10:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome back Deb!

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Thanks, Wa'il! I need to take a new photo of the 20lbs lighter me. I haven't lost more, since the last month was a hard one financially and I wasn't able to do low-carb very much (for a few weeks anyway). But thanks to the Glucophage (metformin) I'm taking, I've only gained 2lbs, so I don't think that's too bad, considering.