Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Brownies, aka Chocolate-Nut Torte

Very moist and very chocolate-y...DELICIOUS!

Makes 12 slices/brownies
carbs 7, fiber 4 for each slice/brownie

6 oz. butter, softened
3/4 cup sweetener (I used DiabetiSweet)
7 eggs, separated
4 oz. Nestle's pre-melted unsweetened chocolate
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt...TASTE THE BATTER!

Preheat oven to 350.
  1. Cream the butter and sweetener till light and creamy.
  2. Beat in the egg yolks, then the chocolate.
  3. Mix the almonds with the baking powder, and then fold into the batter.
  4. Beat the egg whites till stiff, and then gently fold into the batter.
  5. Line the bottom of a non-stick 10" springform pan with parchment and spray the sides with Pam.
  6. Pour in batter and bake for about 30 minutes, or till knife inserted in center comes out clean (it will show some moisture, but come out with no batter or crumbs).
  7. Remove the sides of the springform pan, then COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE REMOVING BOTTOM AND PARCHMENT FROM THE CAKE (trust me on this!).
I found this recipe online as "Passover Chocolate-Nut Torte"...it included a recipe for icing, but it was too pudding-like, so I left it off. I substituted DiabetiSweet for the sugar and added salt.

Using the DiabetiSweet in this recipe has not caused me any "bathroom" problems, as there's only 3/4 cup in the recipe and I've eaten only 2 servings per day. If you use 3/4 cup Splenda, the carb count goes waaaay too high. I have not tried it with any other sweetener.

You could probably use a "brownie pan", but keep in mind that, when baked in the 10" springform pan, this cake is only about 1" thick when done (it doesn't rise much)...I would use something a bit larger than an 8x8.

Sherry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 22:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

If this is supposed to be moist and delicious, I must have done something wrong. After each member of my family took a bite and wrinkled their noses, we threw the rest in the trash. The texture was mealy due to the almond flour and it was rather dry. I followed all of the directions but something didn't work or I am expecting too much from a lc dessert.