Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 10:36
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Mokia: There's a ton of info on about.com. You are so welcome...here's another link...or just go to the site and have a look around.http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa111097.htm
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:21

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 580/451/165 Female 5ft 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just want to say that this has been a wonderful read. I have learned a lot today about a disease that I've had since 1990. I'm still fighting the battle but I hope to win soon. I have an appointment next Tuesday with the Doctor and I think we're going to have a talk. I'm on Synthroid (.200). I started out low and had been increased up to .150 and I stayed at that until this past year when my Cholestrol shot up and they retested and bumped me up to .200. My weight has been out of control for a long time. I have been able to lose at times but gain it back quickly. I have had the best results on the Suzanne Somers eating plan. It's a low carb plan but does allow whole grains, fruits and veggies. I have felt much better with more energy. I still have symptoms of low thyroid even with the medication. My hair constantly falls out or breaks. I'm cold a lot or my hands and feet certainly are. I have very dry skin along with swelling, joint pain....need I go on. I guess I get as frustrated as others about being looked upon as lazy or a "closet" eater. My hubby says he should go in and tell them how I eat. He says he sees what I eat and they are wrong. My doctor wanted me to have the operation for weight loss (partial gastric and partial intestinal bypass). I thought it felt like a punishment instead of a benefit. Not being able to eat certain foods or only 1 oz to begin with, plus the scars and the risks involved. I started the SS plan in July and have lost over 70 pounds. I try not to weigh because it is difficult because of joint pain. I have lost over a size in my clothing so I know it's working. I am excited to see the doctor's face when I go back next Tuesday.

I hope all are doing well. I think more posts like this one need to be out here to inform people on the misinformation that is abounding everywhere. I have been reading the website links that were provided and I feel I am better armed to help guide my doctor in my treatment.

Thanks again......and keep the info coming. Until later...
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:49

Plan: haven't started yet
Stats: 135/145/120 Female 5'4
BF:0%
Progress: -67%

Hi everbody - it has been a while since I posted anything - the last time was in Nov. when I was headed to my doc - well I had received another blood test and the result was a TSH of 3.914 - so FINALLY - my doc decided to take some course of action so she put me on Synthroid (0.025 mg) - it has now been three months and I feel a bit better not completely sure - I still have some minor symptoms but it is really hard to tell whether it is related to life or the hypothyroidism - such a confusing disease this is!! Anyway I went back Friday for another round of blood work and I just got the results - my TSH is 3.35, T4 = 1.2 and T3 = 29.7 .

Here is where I need someone's help - I know about what a TSH level should be to be normal (.3 and 3.0) but what should the T4 and T3 be? Am I in the "normal" range?

On top of it, my regular doc just left for maternity leave till March and I was just assigned to a new guy and I think he is a resident. He seems pretty nice but it is hard to switch in the midst of trying to figure out what is going on with me. Not to mention I am confused if I am better or not - I am less tired but not rejuvenated or anything - people say that it looks like I lost weight but I recently went overseas (where I always seems to lose weight) but maybe I am less bloated then before which may mean the meds are working - but I don't know - do u know what I mean?

Anyway, any advice would be helpful and thanks to all writing me back - it helps to talk to you guys!!

Hope everyone is doing well and losing weight!!!

Take care and talk to u guys soon!
Mokia
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:07

Plan: CAD
Stats: 210/210/165 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Yo Yo Thryoid here since 1997

Hi,
In 1997 after total hystorectomy, we then found out I had Hypothroidism. My numbers were 68. Not good. Drs put me on synthryoid. For years now, my thryroid never stays regulated. I have hashimotos, too. I go from 275 of synthroid to .300 . I have pain in the gland itself and when it is off, I can tell, besides being exhausted and all the other lovely symptoms, it hurts and feels like im being choked. The wierd thing with me is, I have symptoms of hyper/hypo and Im severly hypo with the lovely Hashimotos. Im at witts end too, would be nice if for once my thyroid would stay levelled out. I get tired of the dr saying. Are you taking your medicine everyday. THen i reply yes. You would think after all these years we could figure out what to do with my thryroid. Loosing weight, well lets see, not happening. When my TSH is normal for a short 3 months, dr says, well it isnt your thyroid hon that is causing you not to loose. When i go back in for 3months checkup,,,boom thryoid is not good again. It is a nasty cycle , nasty nasty. Then dr says , well maybe that is why you cant loose. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGg...frustrating.
Yes I do eat lots of carbs and do like my candy. That is why I am interested in CAD..

GOod luck to all.
muddauv3
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

Muddav-so sorry to hear about your rollercoaster ride with the Hashi's...
I too was diagnosed with Hashi's about 4 years ago (I had gained 6 lbs in 6 weeks all while exercising and on Atkins!). After having been on Armour, Thyrolar, and Synthroid, I am now on Levoxyl+Cytomel (since November 20 '03). However, I have had NO luck in losing any wt at all AND I never touch sugar, white flour etc...

However, if you ditch the refined carbs, you will at least FEEL better--I can almost promise you this. That is why I have remained on lowcarb (now doing LFL --Lean for Life). The nurse from that site explained to me that people with slow metabolisms (usually those with Hypothyroid), and those who have been dieting for years (that would be me), often to not do well on Atkins (because of the higher fat). Believe me, I'm not at all knocking Atkins (I would prefer to continue with that, but after being on it for 5 years and GAINING wt. on it), I had to try something else.

Remember, ditch those sugar laden goodies and white flour--its like poison.

Carol
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 14:36

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

I was diagnose about 15 months ago with Hashimoto's or Autoimmune Thyroiditis.

Instead of Synthroid, I switched to Armour Thyroid.

And tripled the dose over many months.

Doctor also added T3, a compounded perscription.

This doctor warned me that carbs were my worst enemy, and when I finally got the message I really began to loose the weight.

Still could use more energy, though.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 12:06

Plan: haven't started yet
Stats: 135/145/120 Female 5'4
BF:0%
Progress: -67%

Hi guys - I am back!! How is everyone doing? It has been a while since I last visited the site but I wanted to give you an update since I started this - oh my gosh - over a year and 3 months ago!

First of all - thanks to everyone who posted on my thread - all the info was immensely helpful!!

Ok now for my update....I have been visiting my Dr. every 3 months for since my Feb visit - once my TSH hit 3.914 - it actually went into the 1.0 range in May and I just had another visit last week and got my result back today and my TSH is 2.044 - slightly up but hopefully will remain around these levels. I feel better than earlier this year but not 100%.

In terms of losing weight - I had joined Weight Watchers for a while and I, of course, took longer to lose weight compared to the rest of the people but I lost about 6 lbs - which believe me took too long - I yo-yoed even with my weight loss!! (sick of the word yo-yo!!) I think it took me around 4 months to lose that- how aggravating. I stopped going because I started a new job and couldn't afford the time to go to the weekly meetings and of course I am not as strict about what I eat these days either. (my fault) I have gained a few lbs back - which of course is frustrating. I have to incorporate some sort of exercise regimen into my schedule but then I get soo tired by the end of the work day - a whole other issue!

On my last visit to the Dr. I asked her about possible getting a suplement of T3/T4 but she brushed it off and said I didn't need it - I requested (from the nurse) today for those numbers for this time's results and she is going to call back after lunch time with that information.

Let me pose this question out to the forum - how many of u guys take Synthroid and also a T3 or T4 supplement? And do u feel better with both meds or does Synthroid alone work best? What are ur feelings out there? And how open is ur doctor to supplements along with Synthroid or similar meds?

I am concerned like I said - I still feel like I have symptoms of fatigue , overheating, yo-yo weight issues, etc.

Let me know what you guys think and as I get more info about my results - I will post them.

Good to be back!!!

Take care everyone,
Mokia
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 12:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokia102
I just had another visit last week and got my result back today and my TSH is 2.044 - slightly up but hopefully will remain around these levels.
Hi Mokia If I were you I'd want to get my TSH as close to or below 1.0 as possible; then I'd only be monitoring it for curiosity sake. Your doctor needs to be watching your FT4 and FT3 levels to see how you're doing; TSH becomes meaningless once you've started taking meds.

Quote:
On my last visit to the Dr. I asked her about possible getting a suplement of T3/T4 but she brushed it off and said I didn't need it - I requested (from the nurse) today for those numbers for this time's results and she is going to call back after lunch time with that information.

Make sure she gives you the lab ranges for the resutls as well - it matters where on the 'normal' range you fall. You can be on the low end and be very sick; an uninformed doctor will look at this and say "oh well, you're normal!" Women tend to do best around the upper 3rd of the lab range and men feel best (usually) around the midway mark.

Many Drs have, unfortunately, been brainwashed by the drug companies into believing that synthetics are better. This just isn't so. For some people they work; for others they do not. You'll get the "T4 is all you need" speech. The theory is that since your body only produces a little T3 most of what it needs is converted from T4; give the patient T4 and they'll make all the T3 they need. Only some of us are not only not making enough thyroid hormones, we're not good a converting T4 to T3. So for these people taking a med with T3 in it helps immensely.

FWIW, the meds with T3 and T4 are not supplements; they are natural desiccated thyroid glads from pigs. Supplements can be bought over the counter and don't help much; not like the desiccated thyroid does. The only exception to this is Selenium. This mineral is vital to your thyroid; w/o adequate selenium your body cannot convert T4 into T3. Selenium also attacks the antibodies that do so much damage if you're suffering from Hashimoto's. If you're not taking any I'd highly recommend you get some ASAP. 200mcg to start for about a month, then cut it down to 100mcg, you don't want to consume more than 200mcg for any extend period of time, as too much is just as bad as too little.

Quote:
Let me pose this question out to the forum - how many of u guys take Synthroid and also a T3 or T4 supplement? And do u feel better with both meds or does Synthroid alone work best? What are ur feelings out there? And how open is ur doctor to supplements along with Synthroid or similar meds?
I addressed some of these questions above; just keep in mind that if your doctor will not treat you properly, fire him/her and find one who will! It's your right to be healthy; no doctor should stand in your way.

You can usually find a doctor in your area off the TopDoc list I don't know where you are so I cannot recommend any to you.

You can also get your white / yellow pages out and start calling around to Drs. Ask them questions over the phone (them, or their receptionists). Ask if they treat many HypoTs. If they use more than just TSH to test. If they prescribe Armour (natural meds). If they answer 'no' then you know not to waste your time going in to see them

HTH
Nat
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 10:15

Plan: pending
Stats: 180/180/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Hashimoto

Hi, I am 3dBim and I am new here. I should say that I am unfamiliar with the low carb diet and need to read more post, but; I am excited to find a place with other Hashimoto people and am anxious to jump in. )
I will spare you the autobiography, but; I think that it needs to be stated that I WAS an active person. About 5 or 6 years ago, (when I had complained about the symptoms), I had a heart attack.
It was last October that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease.
It takes 6 months to start with a new doctor, so; it was not until April before I saw him and was given Levothyroxin. I have noticed some improvement with the lethargy and depression.
I am wonderring if there are others who have gone untreated for some time and have become (as I have), lethargic and depressed?
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 10:58

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dBim
Hi, I am 3dBim and I am new here. I should say that I am unfamiliar with the low carb diet and need to read more post, but; I am excited to find a place with other Hashimoto people and am anxious to jump in. )
I will spare you the autobiography, but; I think that it needs to be stated that I WAS an active person. About 5 or 6 years ago, (when I had complained about the symptoms), I had a heart attack.
It was last October that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease.
It takes 6 months to start with a new doctor, so; it was not until April before I saw him and was given Levothyroxin. I have noticed some improvement with the lethargy and depression.
I am wonderring if there are others who have gone untreated for some time and have become (as I have), lethargic and depressed?

check the date of the last post.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 11:40

Plan: pending
Stats: 180/180/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default ooops

[QUOTE=bonechew]check the date of the last post.[/QUOTE
OMG
Thanks and excellent on your smoke free!