Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 17:55

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 200/200/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:
Default I I quit, you can too !!

I'm coming up on 1 yr (May 15 ) , I never thought I could quit.I smoked 1.5 pks/day for 20 yrs smoked 25 yrs total.Now, I am not sure why I ever smoked.I don't have cravings, they stopped about 6 months in.I used the Walmart 4 mg lozenge, just one box of 72, lasted about 10 days I guess.

The biggest thing I could say is yes you will get cravings but they are short and they go away, I always told myself they will go away,they will go away.And they did.It just gets progressively easier.Its all fear based it seems, the boogeyman ! He doesn't exist !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 18:08

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Okay. I'm ready to try again. I'll pick up some lozenges, or maybe the gum. How does friday sound? It's finals week, after friday I just have one test left, the following friday.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 08:01

BF:
Progress:

I found the lozenges WAY more effective ! They have cherry now too !!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 22:41

BF:

Okay, im at the store now getting the lozenges. I wanna have them ahead of time so i can like, mentally prepare.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 00:59

BF:

Okay, I got the cherry lozenges, but I got the walgreens brand, I hope that doesn't matter. I ALSO realized that really cute belts for little girls can be used as really cute headbands for 30 yr old little girls, and bought a rainbow one and a pink one with heartshaped cutouts, and that doesn't have anything to do with smoking, but it's still pretty awesome.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 09:12

BF:
Progress:

I found they worked great, walmart ones are generic too so

there is no difference anyway.Its common knowledge now that

the lozenges are more effective than the gum, old technology !!

Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-29-12, 17:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

How are all of you doing? Did you quit?

I quit a decade ago. If I could quit, SO CAN YOU!

Keep trying and YOU WILL SUCCEED!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 17:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1
How are all of you doing? Did you quit?

I quit a decade ago. If I could quit, SO CAN YOU!

Keep trying and YOU WILL SUCCEED!

No. Gotta be honest. I worry about my lungs, my health, how smoke ages your skin, how it saps you of energy, how it makes you out of breath, what it does to your appetite and metabolism, how expensive it is, how discolored my smoking hands are, what it does to your teeth and mouth, the smoke smell on your hands and in your hair, how unprofessional it looks, and on top of all that, I don't even ENJOY it anymore, I only do it because I'm ADDICTED. I tried the lozenges, they didn't help with cravings, and they for some reason made my gums very sensitive and very painful.

I keep trying to START day one. I get rid of my cigarettes at the end of the day, EVERY day, and in the morning the urge to smoke is so strong that I just go to the store and get some without even thinking about it. It is seriously without thought. I don't even MEAN to do it, I just DO it.

I don't know what to do.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 18:54

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
No. Gotta be honest. I worry about my lungs, my health, how smoke ages your skin, how it saps you of energy, how it makes you out of breath, what it does to your appetite and metabolism, how expensive it is, how discolored my smoking hands are, what it does to your teeth and mouth, the smoke smell on your hands and in your hair, how unprofessional it looks, and on top of all that, I don't even ENJOY it anymore, I only do it because I'm ADDICTED. I tried the lozenges, they didn't help with cravings, and they for some reason made my gums very sensitive and very painful.

I keep trying to START day one. I get rid of my cigarettes at the end of the day, EVERY day, and in the morning the urge to smoke is so strong that I just go to the store and get some without even thinking about it. It is seriously without thought. I don't even MEAN to do it, I just DO it.

I don't know what to do.

I agree, but I love smoking so I decided to wait till next jan. just in case the world ends on dec. 21st.

I use tar gaurd, their these filters that take most of the tar out, has stopped my smokers cough. I know this isn't the answer but it's better than nothing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 19:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Keep trying. Keep getting rid of them every night and TRY AS HARD AS YOU CAN TO GO UNTIL LUNCH BEFORE YOU BUY ANY MORE. You can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 19:47

BF:

Yeah, I haven't given up, I just keep trying to get past day one. I'd settle for hour one. Tomorrow I think I'll try calling one of those hotlines like, right when I wake up.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 03:16
Living lighter

Plan: Keto/ no white stuff
Stats: 352/187/220 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
Yeah, I haven't given up, I just keep trying to get past day one. I'd settle for hour one. Tomorrow I think I'll try calling one of those hotlines like, right when I wake up.

We haven't only got the need to quit smoking, be more healthy and lose weight in common. We also have that old time devil called BP in common. Come on! Be my buddy in this non-smoking thing. I can really do with a buddy.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 10:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie328
I agree, but I love smoking so I decided to wait till next jan. just in case the world ends on dec. 21st.

Every year there's another doomsday set. What'll it be in 2013? Forgive my bluntness, but this is a lame excuse. Why not go ahead and eat all the sugar and gain all the weight you want now because some people think the world is going to end because the Mayans ran out of room, or resources, to carve calendars.

On Jan 1st, 2013 a massive asteroid might hit earth, or a super volcano might erupt, like the one that nearly made humans extinct 74,000 years ago. Or the stock market might crash, or you might get into a car wreck, or an elephant might sit on you.

One day I realized that I'd never actually really feel ready to quit smoking until perhaps the day after I've been diagnosed with some horrible terminal illness. Then it'd be too late.

If it were me and I knew I was going to be sat upon by an elephant on Dec. 21st... I'd love to have a few months where my lungs weren't trying to crawl out of my chest cavity, foods tasted really wonderful, my sense of smell grew keener and I was proud of myself for tackling a very difficult addiction.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 01:00
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 242/178.5/145 Female 162cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
One day I realized that I'd never actually really feel ready to quit smoking until perhaps the day after I've been diagnosed with some horrible terminal illness. Then it'd be too late.

I like this....