Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 04:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
"you know you want one"

I heard that a lot when I was trying to quit, too. My response? "Yes, every addict wants their fix, but I'm trying to rise above that and pretty soon I won't want one anymore".
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 05:44

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I've resorted to smoking butts. I dug two out this morning and got 9 drags. I feel so much better. I'm already on Wellbutrin. I'm using a silly patch. Nothing is helping.

Oh, and the scale was up 2 full pounds this morning. Could someone please explain that one? Yes, I did track my food in fitday. No, I didn't eat more than usual. Yes, I did exercise yesterday.

I swear smoking is the only thing that elevates my turtle metabolic rate.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 08:04

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

You need to drink water. Plenty of water!! You are having a really hard time with this, I can tell. But, if you hang in there as Lisa said, the withdrawls will pass. Stay off the scales for a few days and let this pass. Drink plenty of water and I am sure that what the scales said today won't be the same in a couple of days.
As long as you stay on the plan, I assure you, you will not gain weight because you quit smoking. I have gained more because I picked the damn things back up.
But, when I quit, I still lost weight because I was already on Atkins and it helped that I knew the program before I quit. So, I lost still.
You will be fine, I only hope that you can get past these days and quit. I know what you are going through.
It will pass.
Good Luck to you, and I hope it all works out for you.
Brenda

Oh, don't make the same mistake I did. Give them up, put them down and don't go back to them! I assure you it's even harder when you want to put them down the 2nd time.
YOU CAN DO THIS!

Here is another site that I found if you read to step 2 it says that people do not gain weight after giving up smoking and even the ones that do only gain 4 to 6 pounds ( I think that was the amount, it could have been less).
Here it is:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/pubs/t...re/index_e.html

Last edited by FabByFifty : Fri, Apr-13-07 at 08:29.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 11:08

I tried to quit last year. I gained 8 pounds in 5 days. I couldn't deal with the gain, so I bought a pack and never looked back. I want the surgery because I'm so sick of having people ask me when my baby is due, but I'm not sure that I can handle the nicotene withdrawl. I know that water doesn't help.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 11:16

Chozen it sounds as if you are doing better than I am. I'm thinking of you whenever I have the urge to smoke. Good luck to you.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
I tried to quit last year. I gained 8 pounds in 5 days. I couldn't deal with the gain, so I bought a pack and never looked back. I want the surgery because I'm so sick of having people ask me when my baby is due, but I'm not sure that I can handle the nicotene withdrawl. I know that water doesn't help.

Hey there. I am only trying to help. I know that it is a rough road trying to give up those stupid cigarettes. I wish that I had never picked them up again. But, I did. And now I regret it big time!
You have been there to so I guess you know what is a possiblility and what is not when it comes to your body. But, you sound like you really, really want to get your surgery. So, you and you alone have to decide what it more important. You have to want to quit. That is the main thing. Maybe your reasons are all wrong and you have to decide that you have more than one reason to quit. I wish I could help you further but you need to decide on this yourself. If you can get past the initial withdrawls you will do this, and I will support you through the whole process if you want my help.
I believe maybe I have said enough. And, I don't want you to get mad at me.
As I said, I am only trying to help.
I wish you luck and if you need further support on this please visit my journal. I am always willing to help when help is needed.
Maybe we can do this togeather.?
Brenda

Oh I think it is great that you want to have that surgery. I hope that everything works out for you and you can get it. Let me know you outcome.
I am sure you will be very happy. Again Good Luck to you.

Last edited by FabByFifty : Fri, Apr-13-07 at 11:32.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 16:06

BF:

Camaromom, there is no possible way that your gains are fat; 2 pounds overnight is always water weight (unless you really consumed 7000 more calories than you burned). Even if your metabolic rate has slowed down, smoking doesn't increase your metabolism by more than 10% which means that if you could maintain on 2000 calories before, your body might burn a couple hundred less; if it takes an excess of 3500 calories to equal a pound gained, that adds up to a [real] pound gained in 20 days (maybe). OTOH, if you added a 30 minute brisk walk every day (how about walking when that urge hits?), it would more than counteract that slowdown.

According to this link, it's not uncommon to gain between 3 and 5 pounds due to water retention during the first week (I've heard that figure go as high as 10 pounds) but it's not permanent. Please don't let a few pounds of temporary water weight gain stand between you and your quit.

Something that helped me was to write down ALL the reasons that I wanted to quit (not just the one that was my greatest motivator) on an index card; post it in several places around the house and carry one with you in your purse. Whenever you get an urge to smoke, pull out the card and review it; it helps you to focus on all the reasons why you DON'T want to smoke instead of obsessing about how you are craving.
It also helps to time your craving episodes with a stopwatch; no physical craving should last more than 3 minutes before your brain gives up and goes off to pout. Not that there wont be a craving again later, but success breeds success; each time you successfully resist a craving, you increase your confidence that you can do it...and you CAN do it.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 07:05

Oh, I'm not mad at anybody. I appreciate your support. I really do. I just sorta feel like this is the only place I can go to blow off my frustration, if you know what I mean.
DH - wants me to quit and is a non-smoking Nazi
DD's - if they even smelled smoke would tell, they want me to quit
DS is too young and unfortunately easily is standing on my last nerve right now.

I know that I'm quite the contradiction. I've worked really hard to loose this weight. My cholesterol and triglycerides are horrid. I know that quitting smoking will raise HDL and help to lower the tri's.

I'm working out 5-6 days a week. I'm doing cardio, weights, swimming, biking. I know that quitting would only improve my performance doing these things.

I want this tummy tuck done. I've been saving since 2005 to have this done. I have twin 15 year old daughters. When I was pregnant with them they separated my rectus abdominus. It only got worse when I had my son 5 years ago. No amount of exercise is going to help my stomach to not appear as if I'm pregnant.

It is just really hard to quit. I can't quite decide if it is the physical addiction, or the habit. I got up this morning and really wanted to smoke, but I made it thru that. Now, I ate and I'm feeling cranky again because well if you've ever smoked you know that you want that cigarette after a meal.

Thanks again for your support. Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
Barb
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 07:06

Chozen, how is it going for you today?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 07:51

Barb
Rant all you want. I am glad that I was not stepping over my bounds. That is what I was afraid of.
Hang in there girl, you can get past the bad days and do this. Just keep posting when it gets hard we will support and help you.
Yes, Chozen how are you coming along with this. I hope that you are doing OK.
I congratulate you both!
Brenda
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: M/E
Stats: 206/168/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Good luck to you in your effort to quit, I have friends struggling with this right now. On a side note my dad had a heart attack followed by open heart surgery in Janurary this year. He was a smoker for 47 years prior to that. He says the thought of waking up after surgery with on a ventilator and tubes coming out of every orifice of his body made him never want a cigarette again. I hope he sticks to it because he is feeling much better and he feels for him it was more of a habit that a physical addiction. I have an addiction myself that I am trying to work on so I know how hard it is and want to tell you I am thinking of you and hope all goes well. I want a tummy tuck and a boob job when I lose my weight so if you have yours please stop by to let me know how you are doing.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 15:28

Chozen, I hope that you are hanging in there!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 18:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
Chozen, I hope that you are hanging in there!!

I hope you both are. Are you feeling better today, Barb, or are you gaining a new understanding for why some species eat their young?
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 19:21

Well. . . I did great until DH took DS and went to pick up DD's from confirmation class at church. I had to find a butt! Man I felt much better after that. I'm so pathetic, but much less agitated. Otherwise I hadn't smoked a thing since Friday about 4pm. Still not a total stoppage, but much better than a pack a day.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 19:22

Oh, and Lisa, my weight was 133.8 this morning. That is really stressing me.