Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 08:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default A2 Milk for the dairy sensitive

In Dr Davis's new book, UnDoctored, he wrote about A2 beta-casein milk being available only in Aus/NZ. Some dairy sensitive people are allergic to the A1 casein protein (in US, dominant in Jerseys and Holsteins breeds) and the related concern over the A1 caseomorphin. The cows bred for this A2 milk primarily have the A2 protein, little A1, similar to goat milk. I was planning to share this info with dairy sensitive folks locally, though no rush since didn't think it was in the US.

But....Walked into a Fresh Market this morning and at a prominent end cap display of new products there was the A2 milk! Another of those spooky Health things that happen all the time....never heard of it three days ago, now can buy it less than a mile away.

More on the company and its milk here, a "tour" in Florida: https://www.facebook.com/a2MilkUSA/

Not really a low carb product so put the thread here for the dairy sensitive to consider.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-20-17 at 10:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-17, 20:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, this is good timing! I started making kefir on a regular basis a few weeks ago, and I was looking for some healthy whole milk and learned that A2/A2 (tested cow/bull parents) was the way to go. Short of getting cattle shares with a local farm with an A2 herd in VA, because VA does not allow the sale of raw milk unless one owns the cow, I had to search for something healthy in a local store. At Whole Foods, I found Snowville Creamery from Ohio is certified A2/A2. Their whole milk is pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) and non-homogenized. Because the kefir bacteria and yeast consume most of the lactose, the kefir from this milk is excellent and enables me to drink a good portion daily and stay low carb. Store bought kefir does not have the health benefits to the degree of kefir made at home, and it has a higher lactose content. It's very easy to make, and one can have a batch in 24 hours.

I also noticed a2 (brand) in stock at the same store, so I'll give that a try as well. I stayed away at first because I didn't want an ultra-pasteurized milk. I'm sure it will make a good kefir.

By the way, I found an article by Chris Kresser about the health benefits of kefir: https://chriskresser.com/kefir-the-...aleo-superfood/, and he was chastised by Loren Cordain, apparently for venturing too far from the Paleo reservation. Most of Cordain's arguments were based on health issues with milk that is not A2, and is produced by large farms that feed grains and administer hormones rBST, rBGH to the cows. That argument doesn't wash with organic A2 milk from grass fed cows.

Here's the link to Snowville Creamery with a good video introducing the dairy:
http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/

Note: Edited to correct link above.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Jun-15-17 at 21:19.