Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 18:37
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I find if you assure someone who wants to try LC/Keto that they just need to prepare for being unhappy about it for about three weeks -- they're going to crave carbs, they're going to crave grains and possibly dairy, they may be low on energy, it's going to be genuine work to eat sufficient good fats to give them energy, and the whole thing is a big change -- if they accept this up front, and you get them to understand: just 3 weeks. You could do anything for 3 weeks. Try it for that long, and then if you decide you don't feel any better, oh well you tried.

If people don't go into LC knowing this, usually after some time of everything from induction flu to low energy to really missing, horribly, the grains/sugars/dairy/etc. they're used to, they just feel like, "This sucks!" and they ditch it. If one can get them to the 3 week mark when generally they will have shifted to ketogenic, their energy will be higher, they'll have had some time to adapt to the different eating, and they'll likely have lost weight just from the carb water drop so they'll feel better (and have scale results) from that -- the chances of their success are higher.

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 04:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A speaker at LC Denver said she doesn’t call it Keto/induction flu, but carb withdrawal. People understand a lifetime addiction to sugar will cause uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms like alcohol addiction, rather than eating LC causing a "flu"
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 06:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Speaker is calling it exactly what it is.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 07:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I remember feeling immediately good on low carb--but having electrolyte issues. People blame keto flu on electrolytes these days, but I didn't get Atkins or keto flu, I got wild variations in blood pressure, muscle cramps and weird heart flutter feelings that put me off the diet. Later eating the same way, I didn't get any of that stuff, except for the muscle cramping, but only with exertion and mostly stomach/core muscles. I have to be careful that I've had my halfsalt etc. if I'm going to do deadlifts, it's easy to hurt yourself with a poorly placed midsection muscle cramp.
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 17:54

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A speaker at LC Denver said she doesn’t call it Keto/induction flu, but carb withdrawal. People understand a lifetime addiction to sugar will cause uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms like alcohol addiction, rather than eating LC causing a "flu"

I had a somewhat different experience. I started eating low carb, but not keto, and did not experience any flu or withdrawal symptoms. I then switched to an Atkins 72 and got into ketosis, and also did not experience a that time. I have mentioned before that after reaching my goal, I experimented a lot going in and out of ketosis, and for the first time I did experience flu like symptoms getting back into ketosis. For me anyway, I think it was something more complicated than an addiction to sugar or carbs.
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just read the first and last post. When my wife and I go grocery shopping we look at other peoples carts and the people pushing the cart. Generally speaking, people that have a high BMI are buying a lot of simple carbs.
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 22:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

One thing I just noticed about this is that I feel disdain for anyone eating high carb, not just obese people. I don't notice a lot of correlation between the two things, actually. I was that jerk pointing out to people in the break room that the sweet tea left out for people had 60% sugar by volume (holy cripes!). Good that they label for that now!