Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 22:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/142/120
BF:
Progress:
Question Anti Depressant and Atkins??

I know being on a Anti Depressant medication alone makes you gain weight... but can I lose weight on Atkins at all? Or should I just give up now?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 02:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are many other benefits to low-carbing besides weight loss. Do you feel more energetic? Have any aches or pains left? Is your skin clearer? Brain fog gone?

Low carbing is a lifestyle changfe that gives you the tools to create a healthier life.

Besides that, refined carbs are toxic!

People who have a small amount of weight to lose slowly. Percentage wise, they are losing the same amount as someone who wants to lose 100 pounds. Annoying but true!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 07:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default LC

I bet if you tried LCing for a few weeks you'd notice a change for the better. Food cravings will disappear. Your mood might improve (I'd say 'will' but with the anti-depressants factored in ???) I know I have more energy now than I've had in years, I feel better when I wake up, I'm no longer lethargic, I sleep like the dead (right through the night, which has NEVER happened before). And I'm no longer always hungry.

You might even lose a few lbs!!

Good luck

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/169/140
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Working for Me ;-)

Hi Trish:

I take an antidepressant and am doing well on the Atkins - 50 lbs so far. Everyone is different of course.

Lori
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Actually, the new anti-depressants do not have the weight gain side effect as with MAO inhibitors and Elavil. One of Effexor's common side effects is anoerxia (not that you'd want it).

I'm currently on deproprovera-birth control-which does have weight gain as a side-effect (I'm not going in for my next 3 month shot). However, I'm continuing to LC and SLOWly losing weight... any loss is a success.

If you're new to anti-depressants, give your body time to adjust (typically 6-8 weeks).

Don't give up on LCing... you don't have much to lose so your loss may be slow. And don't stop taking your medication... it's saving your life.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 06:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default Anxiety Meds

I'm on Prozac for my Anxiety and for the first week I didn't lose weight then the next week I lost 6 pounds. I think your body has to get used to it and its also Important to take your meds at the same time each day. I one time took my meds at night instead of morning (I forgot to take them) and it made me either hold water or not lose. (Who can tell the difference?) Well that's my two cents worth
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 10:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Lessara, you may want to read Potatoes not Prozac. While not exactly LC, it's a good read, jam-packed with information that's good to have in your low-carb arsenal.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 17:08
Registered Member

Stats: 257/237/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Don't worry about doing Low Carbing and being on Anti-depresents. I have been Low Carbing only 3 weeks and I take my Anti-Depresents at the same time everyday and I am now down 19 pounds. I swear that the low carbing has helped a whole lot with my moods and you will start to feel it right away. I didn't have problems with having pains and fatigue or some things other people had but you will start to feel great and I think that the Low Carbing with my anti-depres pills make me feel great. I would try LCing and see how you feel.
Shondel
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 05:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You didn't say which antidepressant you are taking, but several of them supposedly don't effect weight at all. Wellbutrin is one, Effexor is another. Why don't you talk to your doctor about switching?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 11:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya,

I am also on Prozac. I really think it depends on your body and your desire to lose weight. I know that all those cabs and chocolates sure look super yummy when I first started taking my meds. I was a a true blue anti carbos eater. So, I do think the meds, since they do help improve your mood. May, also help your appetite. I really notice though my water stayed on me to excess the first two days restarting induction. Now bamm!!!!!! 4 lbs off .....so I know you can do it too.!

Best of Luck,

Kelly Ann
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Lovan

Does anyone know whether Lovan (a SRI) at 20 mg is one of the anti deps that don't affect weight loss?
I took it before I was LCing but haven't taken it for over a year now, tho' I still have a tempting prescription for it, but don't want anything to hinder my weightloss.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 21:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Cali,

Lovan is a brand name of fluoxetine, which is Prozac. It's available under that name only in Australia

Fluoxetine does have weight gain as a side effect; this is due to fluid retention, and to increased appetite.

8 yrs ago, I was prescribed prozac for my chronic fatigue. I was assured that I'd have more energy. No kidding!! I was bouncing off the walls, and insomniac .. I gained 20 lbs in 3 months. The dr told me I must be eating more because I was feeling better No mention of side effect from the drug.

You might want to look into an alternative, as the others have mentioned

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Yes I knew Prozac was a serotonin reuptake inhibitor just like Lovan and all the other brand names, but if it causes fluid retention then can't that be countered in some way so as to maintain the good mood and the weight loss?
As for appetite , well an increased one isn't an issue on Atkins, is it?
I'm not making excuses, rather, because I eat when I am upset and I get upset a lot, then maybe this anti depressant would be less detrimental than not taking it. (?)
I probably shouldn't have been prescribed it in the first place.
I suspect my rather drug happy doctor thought it would make a difficult domestic situation more bearable for me, rather than being proactive about change.
Maybe I should tear up that prescription.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 09:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Cali,

Sorry for the confusion .. I should've made it clear that Lovan isn't "just like" prozac .. it IS prozac. Lovan, Prozac, and Sarafem are brand names for the specific drug fluoxetine. Lovan just happens to be the brand name of it in Australia.

Fluoxetine was the first of the class of SRI's, there have been many others developed since then, with fewer side effects and/or that treat more specific depressive problems. Fluoxetine is still the most commonly prescribed, and it is still a very helpful and useful drug. You just have to weigh the benefit of improved mood and energy vs. any side effect.

Your pharmacist would be a good, non-judgemental person to ask about other options with fewer side effects, which you can then take to your dr. for discussion and a prescription change. Taking an antidepressant won't make the problems go away, but if it can improve your mood and help you to feel better, then you'll feel more able to deal with the real issues ... and make those pro-active changes.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 210//140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello Trish,

I am on anti-depressants and had the same concerns as you. I am now 12 pounds lighter than before, (just since the end of January), and feel so much better.

I have much more energy and think LC'ing along with this web-site is the way to go.

YOU can do this.