Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 12:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Jo, your plan sounds great. Plenty of challenge. Discernible progress.

Today (Monday) I alternated to a full-body workout with one of my fave videos, Jari Love's original Ripped. After doing this regularly for two years, I'm not "ripped" yet. Fancy that! But I've come a long way, Baby. This video has a very short set of push-ups, which I can now do entirely on my toes.

Plank away!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 09:20

BF:

Tuesday 6/21 Happy First Day of Summer! It's sizzling here.

2-minute forearm Plank (the last 20 seconds is killer. Real test of determination!)
20-minute walk

Also, dug up the shrub that was blocking the garden path, as I promised DH I would. Replanted it in the front yard. When I dug the hole in my intended spot--oops! There were 50 or so little bulbs in there. I forgot about the daffodils. So I replanted those elsewhere. Let's hope everything survives my efforts
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 09:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Chain reactions, Barb!

My gardening has been mostly pulling up the 7,533 baby cottonwoods that have planted themselves everywhere in the entire yard and the pots, as well.

Last night thought I would die at 47 seconds. But took a rest, and made another 20.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 18:40

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Tripod plank: 1 minute (yay!), 30+ sec rest, 45 seconds

Side planks (elbow/knees): 35 sec each side x2

I did weight training yesterday so took a break from planks. I think that's a good strategy, Jo, to alternate planks with general weight training.

Side planks are beginning to feel less awkward. I no longer fear toppling over. Wondering if I could move to feet instead of knees....

No cottonwoods here, but I have a bumper crop of young Japanese and native vine maples.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 05:28
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Jo, your plan sounds great. Plenty of challenge. Discernible progress.
Thanks, Barb!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I did weight training yesterday so took a break from planks. I think that's a good strategy, Jo, to alternate planks with general weight training.
IMHO, every little bit helps and it's good to hear that I am not the only one alternating wt training days with planking days, Liz!

I figure baby steps er...hmmm... planks; then I'll get more adventurous and do side planks too!

Did my 4 sets of 30s earlier this am. Will increase to 4 x 35s beginning next week!

Happy Planking!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 07:43

Did 60 sec/rest/20 sec last night.

When I got up this morning, my lower back reminded me that it wasn't used to working so hard.

So, I think I'll stay here (or go down, if necessary) for another week, to give my back time to catch up with my belly muscles.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 12:48

BF:

Non-plank day.

Video workout: Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt Express. This is a Pilates-inspired total body workout with light (2-3lb) hand weights. Surprisingly strenuous. Pilates is extremely focused on core strength, muscle extension, breathing, and balance.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 07:19

BF:

Plank: 2 min forearm
New: 30 sec side plank, forearm to knee

That 2-min plank continues to be extremely challenging. However, I've finally figured out the best surface to do it on: yoga mat laid over my regular rubber workout mat. Not too hard, not too soft, non-slip. Perfect. Actually, this surface makes it easier (relatively speaking) to hold the plank with good form.

I added a couple of side plank attempts, because I hate those worse than regular planks, and I probably need them.

I can't say I love this challenge. But it doesn't take much time, for sure.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 07:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Plank: 2 min forearm
New: 30 sec side plank, forearm to knee

That 2-min plank continues to be extremely challenging. However, I've finally figured out the best surface to do it on: yoga mat laid over my regular rubber workout mat. Not too hard, not too soft, non-slip. Perfect. Actually, this surface makes it easier (relatively speaking) to hold the plank with good form.

I added a couple of side plank attempts, because I hate those worse than regular planks, and I probably need them.

I can't say I love this challenge. But it doesn't take much time, for sure.

I agree with you on everything you say. The side planks are difficult because most of us do not have well developed obliques. When are you expected to lift your ribs when lying on your side? (except in pilates and other core exercises). They are really difficult! A 2 minute plank is impressive - I won't even guess when I might reach that level.

Micki Sue, you are are wise to let your back guide your progress. You are using your back (and abs) to resist gravity and it's just not used to it!

I like the planks because on a day when I don't have 30+ minutes to devote to "proper" exercise I can feel like I still did *something*. I know I've worked hard if only for a couple of minutes.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 08:25

Yesterday was a rough day, with a headache all day (construction in our yard = beautiful new yard at the cost of heavy equipment noise all day long).

So didn't do much at all, but I did do a 60 second plank.

Like Liz, I felt like: well, I kept that commitment, anyway.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Like Liz, I felt like: well, I kept that commitment, anyway.
You certainly did--overcoming, at that! Sorry about the headache--all aspects. Enjoy your new wall!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 08:55

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Read about this Plank challenge on Ken's thread. I'm in absolute AWE of you all!

I hope y'all don't mind me joining you here but, trust me, I'm gonna be the "baby" of the group.

I decided yesterday to try doing one (toes and forearms) and managed a grand total of 7 seconds! But for those 7 seconds, I felt my abs like never before in my life. Obviously I have next to zero core body strength. So I'm setting myself a goal of getting to the point where I can hold a 90 second plank.

This morning tho, I could not even get myself into full plank position. Abs hurt too much! So I did a modified version (knees and palms) and managed 24 seconds. I think I'd better stick with modified for awhile till I build up to at least a minute or so that way before shifting back to the full version.

Am I correct in thinking, that for women at least, going from easiest to hardest versions would be:

1) knees and palms
2) knees and forearms
3) toes and palms
4) toes and forearms
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 10:12
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I like the planks because on a day when I don't have 30+ minutes to devote to "proper" exercise I can feel like I still did *something*. I know I've worked hard if only for a couple of minutes.
I love that, Liz!

I truly believe that every little bit helps!

Happy Planking!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 10:21
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I hope y'all don't mind me joining you here but, trust me, I'm gonna be the "baby" of the group.
So lovely to have you join us, bev! Hey the more the merrier!

Quote:
I decided yesterday to try doing one (toes and forearms) and managed a grand total of 7 seconds! But for those 7 seconds, I felt my abs like never before in my life. Obviously I have next to zero core body strength. So I'm setting myself a goal of getting to the point where I can hold a 90 second plank.

This morning tho, I could not even get myself into full plank position. Abs hurt too much! So I did a modified version (knees and palms) and managed 24 seconds. I think I'd better stick with modified for awhile till I build up to at least a minute or so that way before shifting back to the full version.

Am I correct in thinking, that for women at least, going from easiest to hardest versions would be:

1) knees and palms
2) knees and forearms
3) toes and palms
4) toes and forearms
We're all doing baby steps here and we're doing what we can. Hopefully we'll progress as the weeks go by!

But your progression sounds logical to me, but what do I know. IMHO, do what you can.

Question: When you say palms do you mean straight arm like a push up??

BTW: Did you see the links that Marvin posted about plank progressions on page 1 of this thread? Those are very helpful to me.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:55

BF:

Quote:
So lovely to have you join us, bev! Hey the more the merrier!
Ditto! Your progression looks right, too. Do note the links to a variety of versions and progressions elsewhere.