Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default 1 week induction , 5lbs down!!

Even though i've stayed under the 20mg, that has been aided by plums,cherrys and diet cola which i've since been told i wasn't allowed........oh and a few dry roasted pea nuts..But I'VE LOST 5LBS!! i can't believe it , i stepped on the scales and thought i'd maybe have lost 1lb or 2.
Now i am off the fruit and the nuts, and cutting back on diet coke i am hoping next week goes better, i am craving doughnuts abit which is strange as i never really ate them b4? lol I'm knocking back the water due to a dry mouth.
I had a funny tasting mouth which i blamed on the cheese and fish......could that be the Ketosis?
I'm off to pick up Ketostix on wednesday just to make sure if i am or not but i'm just glad to have lost 5lbs.
Thank you all for your support,help,recipes,etc i've planned to keep the 20mg going til after my induction maybe a month or so if i can cope
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 04:55

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

very well done! hope that you get a good loss for our swecond week too!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 05:24

Plan: Induction
Stats: 100/95/80 Female 5'10
BF:none! hahahaha
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Induction

Hiya, I'm on my first week of induction (again, after failing last year) but find that I'm struggling to get over 12grms carbs per day at the moment (on my scheduled menu that is).
Can I ask, do you know whether I can eat pork sausages? I'm looking through the books and websites and find that there's conflicting information. Some say no because of the corn content, and other books say that they're fine and there's no trace of carb, please help to clear this one up.

Andddddddd well done you, I hope I shift 5lb in my first week.

Donna
Stoke-on-Trent
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 06:11
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenavodka
Can I ask, do you know whether I can eat pork sausages?

Hi xenavodka

Sausages are a tricky one; read the label! They vary between 0g and I think 12g from the ones I've seen. I think the main things they put in are bread and oatmeal which ups the carbs.

If you look in the supermarket thread, there's some info about which ones are best - I really like Tesco Finest Pork Chipolattas which are 0.9g per sausage.

I got a link to http://www.rickythebutcher.co.uk/ from an article, I've not tried them yet, but they have some they've listed as "Atkins friendly"
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 06:33

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

DevonGal

Congratulations on those 5 pounds gone in week 1. I wish you every success in week 2, but the loss is generally less in week 2, so do not expect to much.

I don't want to cast a damper on what is a good weight loss, but the reason for the large weight loss in week 1 is largely, but not entirely, due to water loss from the body. As you use up the carbs in your body they release the water associated with them. Each carb molecule holds onto 4 water molecules, so you can see that a lot of water is released.

Keen at it though, the results are great. I've been living this way of life for nearly 2.5 years and the results for me are good. See my photos in the link below my signature fairy.

xenavodka

Hi Donna,

To get your carbs nearer 20 you should eat more veggies. They are good for you, after all. Keep your induction levels near 20 as this helps to balance the other hormones in your body. Minimal carbs is not particularly healthy.

On the sausage front Doogie has given you some good information. All UK sausages contain some carbs, but this varies a lot. In general the more expensive ones have the least carbs. Do read the labels. Do a search in both the supermarket thread above, but also in general on this forum as the topic of sausages has been discussed several times.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 07:10

Plan: Induction
Stats: 100/95/80 Female 5'10
BF:none! hahahaha
Progress: 25%

Thank you all for the advice, I will look at the packet in my fridge at home.

Eating chicken, egg, ham and all sorts for lunch, weird combination, with some mayo thrown on as well!! Feel all greasy, but enjoying it so far
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thanks

Thanks for all your support, i know i may not lose as much as i have this week but slowly but surely is ok with me. I do feel better i got it wrong last week and had a few peanuts and cherrys and plums.
Now i have my atkins book and know i should avoid fruit and nuts etc i will keep to that. I have had a decaf coffee with 1 tsp of Splenda and a little Single cream ... Am i allowed to use milk ( semi skimmed) in my induction weeks?
Other then that i am looking forward to trying out a few recipes and i am thinking of staying on induction for a while
Can't notice any weight lose in my jeans yet but i think maybe my bust has shrunk? is this an area of a body that loses weight? lol
I also have pcos , not sure if people with pcos may lose weight slightly slower but i will keep you all informed thanks for your support again xx
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:17

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Hi devongalxxx

first no low fat milk isn't allowed but single or double cream is (bizarre I know) so get used to cream not milk in your coffee

and yeah most people say there boobs go when losing weight - but don't worry every where else will catch up too, I found that I had to lose 10lbs before I started to feel the difference so hang in there.

regarding pcos there are load sof people on this board that have pcos and still lose weight - best advice is to click on the search button at the top of your page and type in pcos - then start reading

Not sure if there is a pcos only forum will have a look

Sarah
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 11:24
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Sarah, i didn't think i would be allowed semi skimmed milk but i thought "cream but no milk?" lol Strange but i can live with it.
I have been on the pcos boards they are a good lot and have lots of help and info for when i started some say it's slower to lose the weight some say it came off fine so i guess it's the same as for people without pcos.
Thanks again