Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 03:53
Registered Member

Plan: stillman's
Stats: 125/125/94
BF:
Progress: 0%

when u eat western food can tell the person dun put sauce jux fry the beef steak or smthing. when i eat western food outside i also tell the person jux deep fry the spring chicken and don't put breading. dey don't really bother (it saves them money) hahah.

when i'm invited out i eat at home b4 going so i know everything i eat is 'legal'. but if you like going to buffet i think they will haf chicken wings dis kind of thing but i think got breading so maybe can peel off the skin or smthing. jux try not to eat those food wif sauce, they probably got sugar and corn starch

oh ya. coleslaw all got sugar 1. so becareful when u eat outside. kfc one also haf.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 04:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 121/121/99 Female 151
BF:
Progress:

even if they dun put breading, i suspect they will put flour one... otherwise the it will splatter big time when put into hot oil.

good idea...may be makan at home first. What if the chicken wings they marinated with some sugar in the marinate liquid?

sigh....hard to go on low carb. I love veges somemore....thats makes it even harder....tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, brocoli, onions, peppers...i love to eat lot of those.

I read from somewhere that some pple on the low carb diet might get gout. Is that true?

Last time i went health check up, i have on a slightly high uric acid....this means i eat too much protein. This is bad as it might lead to gout for me.

Does it mean this diet is not for me? I am a bit concerned here....
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 08:21
Registered Member

BF:

ditto for the chicken wings, dats y i try to eat those fried food outside taking away the breading. also, i try to avoid eating those char siew, stewed duck, the roasted chicken from hainanese chicken rice cos i think in the marinate dey got add sugar or else wun brown so nicely when roasted.

i'm not too sure about gout but i've read forums about ppl with gout and none complain atkins caused or worsened their problems. plus, for so long, ppl haf been bad mouthing atkins saying too much protein can be fatal for you liver or kidney but it has been proven untrue and does not do any damage at all, if this were the case so many americans would have died of atkins.

but if you're scared i think its better to check wif ur doctor. safer also. tell him u're on atkins or a ketogenic diet and see what he has to say.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 07:15

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

good day guys...how's your National Day wkend?

Alfred, welcome. Anyway if you are beginning to list down what you can eat...it is going to sound very restrictive...why not make it this way....have a bit of those slight higher carb foods...but make it little.

foods like soy sauce, corn starch is actually not too bad....just note on how much is added and how much you take...to say, I am actually quite thankful even if a party serves marinated chicken wings...thought laden with some sweety stuffs...at least it is the best thing I can have.

cute_buppy...it is a goood thing that u love chewing veges! in fact i dont really like veges...so just go more for non-starchy veges....it is ok coz other diets such as protein power advises to minus the fibre carbs away...and u get little carbs for chewing lotsa veges! way to go!

debbie...i will never go into details with the western food seller....all i tell the seller is that 'no buns pls'.....breading, fries....heee i admit i am quite relaxed now about such...

last time i went for my friend's baby one yr old birthday party...there were indeed lotsa "dangerous areas". but fret not....i mean just try to focus on those proteins...no one can force u to take rice/noodles at a buffet! and u can take as much proteins you like! yeah....maybe birthday cake no excuse....mmmmm just finish half or finish it if small enuff... and tahan for the next week hahahah to be back into ketosis.

talking abt mayo......i find that except for jap mayo....all other mayos SUCK! my fav Kraft mayo had been sweetened that i didnt wanna touch it anymore! today i was browing at Bishan NTUC Liberty section. found this garlic mayo and noted that sugar isnt one of the main ingredients. hmm not too bad tasting...anyone knew of non-sweet mayo????

so anyone still keen for a low-carbers meet up?
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 07:30

BF:
Progress:

Yah, Fumih, i bought the garlic mayo also from NTUC too !!!
It is quite nice esp. with lettuce and japanese cucumber, + pieces of butter pan fried chicken + herbs + onions + green pepper. Yum. That was my lunch today.

Dinner however, i cheated....again.... :P

Getting tired of chicken however. Mayb tomorrow will be tuna + salad.

keke....

I dont think I can go through the induction phase though...like u say Fumih, i have adopted the eat little carbo (eat 1 or 2 mouthful of rice etc) but more protein + vege.

Hope that with this way of eating, i dont get fatter though...its like neither here nor there.....hahaha

By the way, what do u all eat for breakfast? I think the only think i can eat is eggs.... what else can u eat as breakfast? I am always stuck and ended up eating nothing...which is not good. Any recommendations?
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:

cute_buppy, actually i think if you're not hungry why eat? hahaha. jux eat lunch and make sure u dun go wifout eating for 6 hrs upon waking. i dun eat when i'm not hungry. i probably only eat 2 meals a day since school has reopened. i eat lunch in sch, jux some fried eggs and chicken meat and dinner is chicken meat and some veggies. :P
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 02:09
Registered Member

BF:

yea. i'm still keen on the low carbers meet up but i think i can only meet up at the end of september. is that alright? thats the only time i'll be free.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 06:31

BF:

yeah usually when i buy beef cubes and some lamb from NTUC, usually i will chop them into bite size cubes...split them into meal portions...and i will cook them in a simple way for breakfast and even lunch...just that if u fear ur colleagues are watching you....add more veges around the meat...hehehe

hmm other than meat, can try nuts (i dun like nuts)...mmmm seaweed, mushroom crisp snacks, ikan bilis, meat jerky.....

i think all my colleagues knew i love western food...i ate chicken chop again for this week.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 06:33

BF:

oh btw anyone into 'extracting' the meat from any hamburgers? got any interesting techniques to share?

usually i will just take the non-sticky/cheesy part of the burger...place it over the other half of the bun...try to cover it up as much as possible, before my teeth sinks into the meat pattie....

used to kena 'ketchup nose' ...whenever i do that...or maybe 'mushroom swiss nose'....

KFC just came up with many many coupons...yumm!
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:23
Registered Member

BF:

lol. i'm loving the straits times nowadays. i've kfc, burger king and macdonalds coupons. heh.

when i go macdonalds and buy those double cheese burger i tell them dunwan the ketchup. den after that i'll look around, if nobody watching den jux throw away the bun. anot i use the bun to cover myself from jux eating the meat. hehe.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 23:10

BF:
Progress:
Talking

its great that they have coupons ( i have all of them too... AND I LUV BURGER KING!!! YUMMY BEEF PATTIES ) ... but den they always come with soft drinks or fries which is a waste....

keke...now i just buy the food back home and push the drinKs or fries to my brothers.... hahaha :P
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:06

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 210/200/140 Male 176
BF:
Progress: 14%

guys how do you eat the chicken?
take off the skin and crispy part?
btw can eat burger king's mushroom swiss?
are there any hidden carbs?
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:

#134   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 11:59

Stats: 143/138/110
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi everyone!

I don't know abt what goes on in Singapore, but I read some posts on the American threads, seems like KFC chicken is marinated with sugar (it's one of the secret ingredients) and even if u remove the skin the sugar has been absorbed by the meat. Guess it's not safe to eat it..

I think chicken chops are a better bet.. I always tell the pple I only want fries and no sauce, so i dont get this gooey mess i have to avoid when I'm eating only the chicken.

Burger techniques.. hmm. Tricky if u r eating w friends, but otherwise, who cares, I just dump the top, scrape of the tomato sauce and use the bottom to hold my patty.. I won't usually suggest a burger place when w friends tho.. eating at Long Johns' is alrite.. cuz now they have this grilled fish n salad set and I can easily avoid the fries.

For marinating I've been getting garlic salt and some chicken spice blend from mckormick. Think those work fine!! Been adding cheddar cheese (those sold in a block) to my veggie/meat soups and it is really good!

Other goodies I love include the house brand sausages at Jason's.. checked the ingredients, no starch or sugar and very nicely fatty.. and yummy of course..

And what do u guys use for sweeteners? I dont care been using aspartame (seems to b alrite for me) and been whipping up the mock danish recipe. It will curb any cravings really.. and is incredible with lots of butter.

Till then..
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:05

Stats: 143/138/110
BF:
Progress: 15%

Btw just went to Breeks buffet yesterday.. thought it wld be a good idea but NO! The meats like beef n lamb taste good only w the sauces, which looked like they've been thickened w cornflour or smthing.. Ah well... I could deal with it but watching my friend have those sinful brownies w fudge and ice cream nearly did me in! Bad idea, Breeks!