Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 11:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So, reading the Phinney/Volck book last night they talked about how utterly important it is to get 5g of salt a day on a low carb, ketogenic diet.

That should say sodium. My goof.

One tsp has:
Sodium, Na 2325 mg

You can always check by putting it into your "daily entry" in My Plan.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 04:03
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks for your earlier reply. I was having salt water all day, somehow it seems to be better tolerated in food, also I've cut down. I wonder if there is something to do with how it is absorbed/used if it is taken with water vs food, I think it will be very difficult to find the answer!
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
That should say sodium. My goof.

One tsp has:
Sodium, Na 2325 mg

You can always check by putting it into your "daily entry" in My Plan.

It's fixed now

#139   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 11:42
Experimenter

BF:

Thanks, Madam Moderator!
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 08:38
Stan43

Plan: lchf
Stats: 183/190/190 Male 76
BF:
Progress: 100%

after a year trying everything to forestall cramps found it was a salt problem. Four cups of beef boullion a day was a complete success
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

Great to hear! It's funny, but I think most of us didn't have this info. It wasn't until I read Phinney/Volek's book that I figured it out.
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Oh my, I have done tons of research on cramps. I have found that both extra magnesium and salt are required for me. I also add in a bit of extra NoSalt for potassium if I think it will be a bad night. I found my information in some of Dr. Eades and other postings. It is also mentioned in A New Atkins for a New You with Phinney and Volek as co-editors.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 01:05
Registered Member

Stats: 253/210/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 42%

So glad I found this thread! I've had crazy, killer leg cramps for years and nothing has helped! Definitely going to try the recommendations. Thank you everyone! Does anyone know if it also works for restless leg symptoms? My brother-in-law has this problem, especially since going low carb. He used to be a big Gatorade fan, but didn't like the zero formula.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 09:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
I think most of us didn't have this info. It wasn't until I read Phinney/Volek's book that I figured it out.
Salt was the one new thing I learned from Phinney/Volek's book (I've read every other Atkins, LC & paleo book out there). Since ~2000 I'd been making sure I was getting enough magnesium & potassium (No Salt) based on the Eades' recommendations, but now I also make sure I get plenty of sodium and it really helps prevent leg pain, LC flu & dehydration. Doctors & nutritionists constantly harp on eating less salt, but they assume we're eating tons of processed foods. But I avoid processed foods and MSG, so I have to add what seems like a lot of salt to my food or down a palm full.

I make my own cheap version of gatorade with a packet of Koolaid, stevia in an amount = half the recommended sugar, plus 1 tsp of Half Salt (half No Salt + half NaCl, much cheaper than the commercial version of Half Salt since NaCl is very cheap, yet Half Salt is sold for the same price as No Salt around here) in 2 litres of water.

Visitors are always amazed at how many types of salt I have on hand. Regular Salt, No Salt, pre-mixed half salt, kosher salt (great for BBQing) and sea salt - most of them never add salt of any kind! LOL

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Feb-20-13 at 09:41.
  #145   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 10:31

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%

I keep wondering about these sodium (and other electrolyte) targets. Are they targets for a sedentary/lightly active person; or are they including some loss to sweat. The difference is quite significant, if your adjusted rda is 3g sodium; but you are losing 5g of sodium in persperation; do you target 5, 3, 8, or something else... Do diuretics pull down sodium to a proper level, or do they drive out a percentage of total?

Sodium does measurably effect my BP, so it is an interesting puzzle for me.
  #146   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 16:32

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheZ
So glad I found this thread! I've had crazy, killer leg cramps for years and nothing has helped! Definitely going to try the recommendations. Thank you everyone! Does anyone know if it also works for restless leg symptoms? My brother-in-law has this problem, especially since going low carb. He used to be a big Gatorade fan, but didn't like the zero formula.

MicheZ I take 300 mgs of magnesium in the AM and 300 before bed. Huge relief.
  #147   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 17:17

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Do diuretics pull down sodium to a proper level, or do they drive out a percentage of total?

I have not read the answer to your question, but based on my husband's experience, I would expect the latter. He takes a diuretic for hypertension and used to wake up with awful leg cramps. The doctor told him to eat bananas, but it did not particularly help. He is now salting his food and the cramps have gone away.
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 09:38
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Visitors are always amazed at how many types of salt I have on hand. Regular Salt, No Salt, pre-mixed half salt, kosher salt (great for BBQing) and sea salt - most of them never add salt of any kind! LOL

What, no pickling salt? I've got a carton of that, in case the urge to make pickles strikes me.
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-13, 08:52

Plan: none
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 185
BF:
Progress:

Just found this great forum. The need of natrium and potassium is new to me. I've been looking around, and potassium is quite expensive as pills, but I found it as a cheap powder, called "potassium carbonate". Can I use this as my potassium source? Really hope someone can help me, thanks.
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 21:00

Plan: 20% Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5'10"
BF:

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've nearly fainted several times (mostly in hot showers) over the last few months, and I've been feeling weak while exercising. I'd independently come to the conclusion that it was something to do with low blood pressure (which I've always had) and salt, but I had absolutely no idea the recommended salt intake for low carb was so high. I suspect I've been getting less than 1g/day of sodium. To think I was just trying to get up to the "recommended" 1.5 g. I used to get horrible foot cramps when I was a kid... now I wonder if I was sodium deprived even before I went on low carb.

Just curious, why is everyone mentioning salt alternatives? Is there something wrong with table salt?

Also, what do you guys do while exercising? Just drink salty water? Sounds icky but I'm willing to try it.