Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 19:07
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default "Induction worthy" Garlic Roasted Chicken

I'd like to make a contribution, though I'm not the best at remembering exact measurements and so on.

Anyway..got this recipe from my Mom who got it from a friend of hers, so hopefully I'm not infringing on any copyrighted recipe ideas. The recipe was passed onto me verbally.

Here goes:

Whole Roasting Chicken (approximately 4-5 pounds I think - the thing cost me $10 CAD at Superstore)
2 *whole* bulbs of fresh garlic, intact

Pre-heat oven to 350F.

Peel off the papery, outer layer of peel from the two whole bulbs of garlic, leaving the bulbs intact (sans the outer papery layer of skin), insert into the chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan, uncovered.

Bake at 350F for 2 hours, basting occasionally.

That's it! Then, just discard the garlic, carve the chicken and serve on a platter.

The thing was heavenly!!! The garlic roasted inside the chicken, and it's intense flavour permeated the meat. There was enough food for four of us, along with lots of leftovers and even a few treats for our dogs.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend this dish to anyone looking for a good "induction worthy" main dish. The chicken was very tender, moist and flavourful.

I don't know the carb count, so can't post it here. If someone can let me know where I can compute carb counts for recipes, I'll be sure to include that in my next contribution.

Enjoy

Last edited by Citruskiss : Mon, Feb-28-05 at 19:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 18:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i am going to have to make this chicken. thanks for putting this recipe here. i never thought of putting garlic cloves in the cavaity of a chicken. i bet this would be good with turkey also. sue
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 18:27

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

That sounds wonderful. I understand about the garlic making the chicken tender--I put rosemary sprigs under the skin of roasting chicken and it makes the whole thing very tender. I don't understand how a seemingly dry herb can do that but it does! Thanks for sharing--Gail
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 22:51

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Oh my god. How heavenly. I think I'll try BOTH the garlic & rosemary together...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 02:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you like lemon, you can stick a whole lemon in the cavity along with the garlic and/or rosemary. Prick it a few times with a fork before you stick it in.
Quote:
I don't know the carb count, so can't post it here. If someone can let me know where I can compute carb counts for recipes, I'll be sure to include that in my next contribution.
Try My P.L.A.N up at the top of the page. You can calculate all your recipes there and keep track of your daily food. If you don't eat the garlic, the carb count would be zero, but you could always squeeze the garlic out of the husks and mash it up with cauliflower.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 05:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Chickens are on sale at Canada Safeway buy one get one free this week, I want to try the garlic and the lemon, they both sound fantastic. Thanks for the great ideas.
Take care
Astrid
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 09:35

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

OK, how bout lemon and garlic in the chicken, rosemary under the skin and olivie oil rubbed on the skin, then salt and pepper rubbed on it? The oil gives the skin a good crispness. WOW, My mouth is actually watering right now! --Gail
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 10:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Mmmm...these all sound great - I love lemon (kinda gave that away with my username), and I'm looking forward to trying it in the roasted chicken

No, I don't eat the roasted garlic once the chicken's done, but you did give me a good idea about mashing into some cauliflower...yum!

I like this thread - everyone's chiming in with ideas, and we're gonna come up with "To Die For Roasted Chicken"...garlic, lemon, rosemary, olive oil..sounds amazing

Funny how this WOE gets the creative cooking thing going. I've always loved to cook, but now I'm forced to use whole foods and try new things. It's all good
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 16:36

Plan: None
Stats: 205/205/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:

You guys are onto a proven recipe/technique thing...believe I saw the concept first in Cottage Life magazine about ten years ago, and have been playing with it since...

Yes, go ahead and stuff that bird right full of garlic and rosemary...the garlic sweetens as it cooks...

For even more fun, try "brining" the bird with your choice of herbs and about a cup of kosher salt in a gallon of water for 6-12 hours first (bring water to a boil, add salt, garlic and herbs, add two trays of ice cubes to cool, pour into a bucket, immerse bird and refridgerate)...

When cooking, hang the bird above the pan on shishkabob skewers, breast side down...until there is about an hour's cooking time remains...then "flip the bird" on its skewers to "normal" cooking position, so the breast skin browns properly...

With your meat probe, you are looking for 180 in the dark meat and 160 in the breast meat...the flipping allows the dark meat to cook faster and results in an absolutely "juicy" result, that is "multiplied" by the brining...

Normally, you'd include a half cup of brown sugar in the brine, but I'm sure Splenda could be subbed in...brine time increases with the weight of the bird...

Family Chef
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 10:09

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Going to try this with the lemon......a funny, I have NEVER cooked a whole chicken before. I am a breast kinda girl but cant beat 88 cents a pound.

1 Chicken

inside:
1 Lemon
2 Garlic
and some celery and onion to boot

silly question....can you eat the celery and onion?. The only reason why I ask is back in the day you stuffed your turkeys and ate it, but now you dont stuff your turkey because you will get sick......does the same apply to chicken.

Have a great day
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, it should be fine. Just make sure the stuffing gets up to a temperature that would kill most of the bacteria. 165 should be plenty.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 10:25

BF:

.....I'll see, was just thinking that it may end up being too mushy...who knows. Thank you for the tip
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 19:57

BF:

I forgot the lemon .... but turned out super juicy and garlicky...yay!!! she knows how to bake a whole chicken now! LOL