Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:48

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 155/155/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question HELP!!! Desperate Vegetarian

My mother has been Lo Carbing for a month now and can't stop talking about how fantastic it is. I am determined to try it out too but don't quite know how to as I am a vegetarian. No meat, chicken or fish. Please help me. What can I eat!?!?!?! Where can I find info?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Exclamation me too

ME TOO!
I am veg, no fish and not too many eggs even. I don't digest wheat very well and so I gave that up a long time ago. But out went corn and rice with low carb as well and I DON"T MISS IT!
I am amazed. I am really enjoying my food and feel great.
Hre is a little list of my favs
veggies of course
cheese and lots of it!
dairy but of course not milk
I am exploring goat and sheeps milk cheeses as well..YUM
I discovered that ricotta has lots less carbs than cottage cheese and is more vesatile as well
If you can eat soy then some tofu's have only 2 grams and as a fellow veg you know also how versatile that is.
If you like eggs they are great too.
Sesame tahini is also wonderful and low in carbs. You can sweeten it and use it in dressing and all kinds of things.
Nuts but you gotta be careful cause some like cashews are kinda high. and nut butters too.
avocados and ditto on versatility
and coconut too, the frozen, unsweetened kind has less carbs and coconut milk too.

Doesn't this sound yummy?
Let me know what you think, got anymore ideas!!!??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 15:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bread, welcome!

Did you know we have a Vegetarian subforum here? It lives under "Other Low Carb Plans."
Here's a link to it:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...?s=&forumid=109

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:06

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am no longer vegetarian, but I don't always want meat and I sometimes freak about cooking it. I bought some soy protein powder from Universal Nutrition called SoyPro. You can cook with it. I have been making pudding and pancakes. So yummy! You can make muffins and many other things. I also really like Boca burgers. High in protein and low in carbs. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:13

BF:
Talking Hi Kacey

Thanks for your help. I feel far more positive now. I was so scared about having to eat tofu and eggs all day everyday. :-)

Can you give me an idea of what your average day's meals are like?
Do you eat a protein with every meal?
What are these Protein Powders that I keep reading about?
Why no milk?
Which cheeses are okay? - I have read that Cheddar is bad.

HELP! Soooooooooo many questions!

Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:23

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%

Have you gone to fitday.com and openned up an account yet? I highly recomend you do, it is very helpful to keep track of the carbs you are eating.

None of the "fake meats" like boca burgers are in there, so you will have to take the package to the computer and enter it all in your self and save it.

Tips-

Some brands tofu have more carbs than others, read the pack and pick the lowest carb one.

Boca burgers are a pretty good carb deal. Remember you can subtract the fiber from the carb count.

Keep lots of hard boiled eggs in the fridge. They are great for beefing up salads or for an emergency snack.

Quote:
What are these Protein Powders that I keep reading about?
You can buy protien powder at the health food store (check ingredients for carbs) and blend with ice and cream for a protien shake. You can cook with them too, but I don't know about that.

Quote:
Why no milk?
Well, milk is pretty carby because it has alot of natural sugar. Unsweetened soymilk is your best bet, but it can be tough to find. If I need to add something milk like to a recipe, I usually use some heavy cream and water (or just cream yum yum)

Quote:
Which cheeses are okay? - I have read that Cheddar is bad.
I have never read that cheddar is bad, but a lot of what you are allowed to have depends on what plan you chose. I do Protien Power, and I don't recall them saying anything bad about cheddar. Different plans have slightly different rules about stuff like dairy, how much fruit, how much nuts ect. You should pick up a book or two and study some plans to pick what you want. I recommend PP, I find it is more lenient than Atkins, but some people need the strictness I suppose.

Quote:
Can you give me an idea of what your average day's meals are like?

Let see, a typical day would be:

Three egg omlett with pepper jack cheese for breakfast and coffee. (some plans don't like caffiene, but NO ONE WILL TAKE MY CAFFIENE FROM ME!! )

Few celery sticks with cream cheese for a snack.

Spinach salad with a few walnuts and blue cheese dressing for lunch.

Dinner, some baked tofu slices with melted mozzerella and basil, with just a touch of the lowest carb maranara you can find. (I call them tofu pizzas LOL! )Maybe some cooked broccolli on the side.

I snack on sunflower seeds in the shell all the time. They are a pretty good carb deal, and since you have to crack each one it takes forever to eat a significant amount. Keeps me from raiding the vending machine at work.

Like I said, some plans are different. If you are planning the full on Atkins plan with induction, I don't think you can have nut on induction.

Quicker meal ideas-

Take a 10oz pack of frozen spinach, cook in microwave, drain excess water, and then mix in some shredded cheese and nuke until melted. (I love spinach though, I eat this all the time!)

This morning I was in a rush and we had no quick food so I microwaved a boca burger and ate it with a fork, dipping into a dab of mustard and mayo.

Don't forget to drink a lot of water! I carry a water bottle around with me everywhere, it really help weight loss!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 04:51
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You are welcome to look at my fitday account to see what I eat. Be warned that I don't cook much! I am going to start eating fresh squash as soon as I can get it here.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=Paleoanth
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:48

BF:
Cool Today was my first day!

Hi all

Thanks so much for all the advice. I am so exited about my 'new way of life' - I think I drove everyone mad at the office telling them about it! :-)

I ate eggs, cheese and tofu today. I made the famous Tofu Pizza's for supper tonight and they were delicious! Thanks for the great tip!

I am a bit confused as to which vegetables I can eat with what but you know what, I am just going to take it real slow for now. I have ordered some books from Amazon and am going to educate myself over the weekend.

What really blows my mind is that I get to eat so much cheese! MY FAVOURITE!

I opened an account on FitDay and see that my Fat % for the day was 56%. Isn't that BADBADBAD? Am I doing something wrong here? What %'s should I be aiming for in PRO., FAT and CARB every day?

Thanks for all your help. I am so exited. I went to the Health Store to get load of Tofu today..... they didn't know what I was talking about with the Protein Powder though.. I am stuck out here in Germany so I might have to find someone here who knows a Brand Name or something.`

Thanks everyone! :-)))
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:10

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%

No that much fat is not bad, in fact, as a vegetarian you should be concerned that you get enough fat. Fat fills you up. Many LC meat eaters are eating fatty steaks and pork chops and such, think of how much fat they get from all that.

Remember, you are not eating (much) carbs. Your body needs fat and protien for energy. My fat percentage ranges from 50 to 80%. Just depends on what I felt like eating that day.
Carbs are bad, fat is your friend! If you cut out the carbs, you can eat fat.

When you cut out carbs, your body stops storing the fat away. Has to do with lower insulin levels. It's kind of complicated, but the Protien Power book explains it very well. It's just too much for me to go into now when I should be working

Spinach, broccolli lettuce cabbage and cauliflower are really low in "effective"carbs. I eat these all the time. They are my "main" veggies that I allow myself to pig out on. They actually do have some carbs, but the majority of it is fiber, and you don't count fiber because it is not absorbed by the body. There are other veggies you can have to, but those are real carb bargains.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:31

BF:
Talking I found it!

I actually found Protein Powder in the health shop in my little German town! How exiting! I made a milkshake with it this afternoon and am wondering what else to do with it. Will trawl the net to get some ideas. (Am still starving though... maybe I should raid the cheese stockpile again!)

I am so exited that 'Spinach, broccolli lettuce cabbage and cauliflower' are 'good' veggies. I was worried that they had too much carbo. They are my favourites.

I found some Tofu Pasta at the health shop as well. This still has zillions of grams of Carb which was majorly depressing. I just don't know how I am going to live without my soy spaghetti bolognese. :-(

Great to know that I can go wild with the fat. Wow up to 80%! And you still loose weight Laura?!?!??!??!??! :-)

I feel like I have stumbled upon the secret to happy eating. Cheese is calling!

Thanks everyone. I am getting more and more exited about this every day!!! :-)))
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:45

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Just make sure you don't go over the 4 oz limit per day on cheese. That really isn't all that much.

I have soy protein powder from Universal Nutrition brand. It has zero carbs and is good for baking. Not sure if they all are. I like to either add some water and 1 tbsp oil and make pudding or make it into pancakes. I could live off of the pancakes they are so good! 1 scoop powder, 1 egg, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp oil. Enjoy!

--Cindy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/125/125
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but was for 2 years or more. I still love veggie meals. Here are a few things I've had recently:
salad with thinly sliced zuccini, red onion, tomato, fresh basil, feta cheese, lemon juice, salt, olive oil.
salad with chopped and blanched broccoli, cauliflower, mayo, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sunflower seeds
soup made with cauliflower, two cups broth, salt (blend smooth then add sharp cheddar cheese and heavy cream to taste
Also spaghetti squash is a good pasta substitute.
Remember to put your recipes in fitday to watch your carb count. Good luck and don't give up!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 00:57

BF:
Cool

Oh dear. I thought that I could eat as much cheese as I liked. 4oz really isn't that much. About 8Tbs? Wow. I think I just had that for breakfast in my omelette. Okay, I think that I have to stop being lazy and have to start cooking vegetables.

Thanks for all the great recipe ideas. I am going to try the pancakes tonight and will have the basil salad for lunch. Bliss.

My Atkins books arrived last night and I have started reading it and can't wait to increase my knowledge. I just hope that it all makes sense.

What on earth is Spaghetti Squash? Have never heard of it... is is something I can make or something I can buy ready made? HELP!

I am sipping my morning coffee as we speak... no way am I ever going to be able to give that up.

ah, talking about beverages..... I am a bit confused as to what I may drink. True that fruitjuices are 'bad'? So that breaks it down to water or nothing? gulp. (I guess the 2 glasses of wine I had last night are a definate no-no?!?!?!)

Thank everyone. I feel thin already! :-)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:37
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Actually a good slice of cheese is about an ounce-so I allowed myself 3-4 slices a day on induction. Just look at the package and it should tell you. One ounce = about 28 g, and sometimes the serving size is in grams on those packages.

Speghetti squash is a vegetable that has a speghetti like interior that you scoop out and use like pasta. I hear it is very tasty. There are some pretty low carb sauces out there-Classico Brand is around 7 g for 1/2 cup and I usually use 1/4 cup on top of things.

As far as beverages are concerned-I never gave up my coffee and it seems to be OK-I do count the coffee carbs though-I input my coffee consumption in fitday, so that I don't over do it. You need to drink your water-but they have come out with flavored waters, sweetened with Splenda-Fruit2O is one. Juices are a definite no no. Wine should not be consumed on induction if you go the Atkins route-mainly because your body will burn the alcohol before it burns fat, so you might be slowing your weight loss down.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:57

BF:
Question

I think I had closer to 10oz of cheese today. Okay. Tomorrow I will cut down on that. So meals can only really be loads of veggies and soya/tofu or eggs.

I have never seen Spaghetti Squash out here. (germany) I wonder if it has another name? I will ask around at the vegetable market.

Ditto with Splenda - we don't have it here. I am SO frustrated about that. I can't find anyone out here who knows about Atkins which can help me find these products.

Feeling a little crazy today. Headaches and flashes. Maybe it is just the hot weather?

We have friends coming over tonight and they always bring loads of Pralines and crisps. Oh my. I just hope I can manage to NOT EAT them!