Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 14:43

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rebounding and shopping
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 14:40

BF:
Default 05/08/2016

Still here but I have decided that logging daily is now redundant; anyone who has glanced at this will have a good idea of how I get my 10,000 steps most days. From now on I will only write about the more unusual stuff.

Today I returned to Aira Force with B. Her foot is healing well so today we went up the fell, 1200 feet of climbing in 2 miles, then steep descent on grass. Of course it is over 6 weeks since we last climbed a hill together so it was tiring for her and a pleasant workout for me. Lovely weather, superb views.
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 14:45

BF:
Default 06/08/2016

Day out with DH. We drove to Barnard Castle and spent a few hours poking about town. Looked in on the church, found some intriguing little alleyways and walked a short stretch of riverside that was new to us. We then drove up Teesdale and walked down to Low Force from Bowlees.
  #154   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 07:53

BF:
Default 14/08/2016

Walked with B. as I. is resting up. As it was grey and dull, if dry, we did a Plan B walk, saving Tan Hill Inn for a good day. 6 miles from Appleby, along tracks and across fields, following Hoff Beck from Bandley bridge, then Colby Beck from Colby, and finally the river Eden back into town. Although I have walked in this area, all these paths were new to me. Very interesting in Colby, people keep ducks and chickens free range behind their houses, and B. got to pat an alpaca on its head. Cutey pie.
  #155   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 08:04

BF:
Default 15/08/2016

Wonderful morning in Carlisle.

I did a long extension of the Hadrian' s Wood and Tarraby walk I discovered a few weeks back. This time when I got to Tarraby I followed the field path to Houghton, then carried on to the motorway to see if the path went under it. It did, but then turned right to a small hamlet and not towards the garden centre where I would have liked to get coffee. Instead I turned back under the motorway and followed a lane to the church, then walked past the village hall and crossed more fields to reach the track to Kingstown, then through housing and into the supermarket car park.

Then I had coffee in the supermarket, did my shopping and got some great reductions.

Lastly drove to the sports centre where I was to meet DH, and strolled round the park to fill in time. Played the outdoor xylophone and watched children on the climbing wall and zip wire in the jungle gym.
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 06:46

BF:
Default 16/08/2016

Glorious summer day (well, realistically a bit hot for walking) so ran out of excuses to tick off the next leg of the Isaac Tea Trail.

Officially 8 miles and just under 1000' ascent, the book estimated 5 hours. I thought this was generous, but when I was a few hours in I knew why - it was tough. Rough pasture, rampant weeds. They produce a wonderful thistle crop round here. Some navigation uncertainty. The problem with marking gates and stiles and even providing direction poles in some fields is that the absence of these at any point induces the feeling one has lost one's way. There is no useful guide either.

Near the end a landslide had closed part of a riverside section. Annoyingly the council put a sign up about this not on the roadside but hundreds of yards down (and I mean down) a track. I was losing the will to live by this point anyway and could not face toiling back up to the road, so worked out a detour using other footpaths. I was also annoyed that the council had not created an official diversion.

I had though finally discovered what lay on the other side of the valley from the A686, and walked through the woods near Whitfield. I had also walked an additional 1.5 miles because DH balked at driving me down the steep narrow lane to Ninebanks youth hostel.

This little video focuses more on the moorland sections of the trail: Isaac Tea Trail, YouTube
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 12:26

BF:
Default 24/08/2016

The last leg of the Isaac Tea Trail.

Dumped at the same road end I was headed the other way to Alston. Another hot day, but this time I was on a good track all the way up to the A686 and most of the way down to Ayle. A few field paths before meeting the little road next to the Tyne which took me past the tiny settlement of Kirkhaugh.

Just beyond the trail crossed the river and climbed up to the halt on the Tynedale railway, a single track heritage line. I decided that as I had previously walked to here on the Tea Trail route by Whitley Castle (remains of Roman fort), I would not spoil a lovely day by making myself trudge on to Alston in the heat, so I caught the train. Pulled by a steam engine it puffed along for 3 miles, covering the distance at just over walking pace, much to the joy of the youngsters on board.
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 12:36

BF:
Default 26/08/2016

Another sunny day, but windy.

B. and I declared it my official birthday and headed up into the wilds beyond Kirkby Stephen for a 6 mile walk around Ewebank Park and the source of the River Belah. Nice walk but over 1000' in the last 2 miles to return to the start.

The celebration was black coffee and cream at Tan Hill Inn. My first visit there, I knew about it for many years at it is, at 1732', the highest pub in England and known to hardy walkers as it is on the Pennine Way. Not a road I would have enjoyed driving, so grateful to B.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 13:00

BF:
Default 12/09/2016 - Fen Rivers Way, 1 of 3, Cambridge to Ely

Nearly 45 years ago when we were students, DH, myself and a couple of friends set out from Cambridge to walk to Ely along the river. We had no proper gear and only a one inch to a mile map. I cannot remember the exact route we took but we were wrecked by the end, having had to climb dykes and fences and find our way across channels of water.

Doing it today brought back no memories. There is now an official route, signposted and waymarked. The first big shock was leaving Cambridge station and stepping out into the streets crowded with new buildings, buses, people and traffic. Nothing like 1974 when I left.

A perfect walking day, warm but not oppressive, the sun and the wind at my back. The first 6 miles were very domesticated, the path was tarmac or gravel all the way. The last 12 miles were almost entirely along a grassy floodbank.

This area, the fens, is of course totally different to the northern hills where I live. Totally flat, enormous fields of grains, cattle but no sheep, and rivers lined with rushes. Narrowboats and river cruisers, swans, geese and other waterfowl.

I had also misremembered the experience. In my memory Ely cathedral was visible almost from the start, looming large yet far away, never seeming to get closer regardless of how many miles are trudged. In fact, you don't see it until you round a bend about 5 miles from the finish, and it looks quite small.

When I got to Ely, I sat by the quayside and consumed 2 diet sodas, naughty, naughty. 18 miles, no feet to speak of, 6 hours 10 minutes, not bad for 63!
  #160   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-16, 13:32

BF:
Default 14/09/2016 Fen Rivers Way 2 of 3, Ely to Downham Market

This stretch is also 18 miles, and the point of no return was 6 miles in, at Littleport. I had to take into consideration not only my physical state, but the predicted 28 degrees centigrade by 2 pm.

I set out at 8.30 am. It was relatively cool and I was pleased that there was a breeze, and I was walking into it. I knew the first 3 miles as DH and I had covered it on a leisurely stroll on Sunday.

After this it was back to the grass-covered floodbank, 3 uninterrupted miles with a sign indicating cattle when I set out on it. No cattle in sight, but as I reached the gate at the other end several dozen bullocks were standing in front of it. Fortunately they were the non-violent variety.

At Littleport I was on form, it was still tolerable and I had over a litre of water with me, so I pressed on. I had over 3 miles of the floodbank wedged between the river and the A10 to enjoy, and when I got to the end I reached the Ship Inn but it was not going to open for at least half an hour, so I kept going.

In less than a mile I managed to lose the A10 and was now in the wide open spaces, the river on my left. The heat was building up, but I still had the gentle breeze. Just under 3 miles to Hilgay Bridge, then almost 3 to Denver Sluice for which I left the floodbank to make better time on the narrow road that ran on its left.

Denver sluice crossed, there was just over a mile and a half more floodbank (with another herd of cattle including a bull) before Downham Market bridge, where I left the Way in search of Downham Market station. By 2.30 pm I had bought my ticket, and was sitting on the platform waiting for the 15:08 to Kings Cross.

Last edited by Ambulo : Wed, Sep-14-16 at 13:38.