Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 21:39

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%
Wink I am doing this!

I love walking...exploring...etc. But I happen to live in Fairbanks, Alaska. It has warmed up to 10 degrees but still a bit difficult for a lot of walking.
So...I started back on Atkins Thanksgiving week 2012 and have been trying to go to our local Rec Center 3 times weekly. Has not always worked but am really trying. I am 58 and have not done much exercise except walking and swimming. I have lost well in every area but my belly. No wheat, starches or sugar in my diet.

Here is my self-prescribed workout:
15 min treadmill alternating walking/running
15 min stationary bike (both upper/lower)
15 min some kind of ab crunch/back extension contraption
30-40 min swimming slow laps

Am planning to dust off the x-country skis and go this Sat. There is a planned easy ski by our local Nordic Ski CLub and they said it is more for socializing so maybe I can meet some people who want to get started again...slowly.

Anyway...comments welcome...however, this is mainly for me to keep track of my progress. I have lost weight previously on Atkins doing no or little exercise. I have to say adding exercise is mo' better! These old bones are just feeling good plus I want to participate in a community 10K run in 5 months and will need to get off my duff if I'm going to be able to do it!

Last edited by vsalmon : Thu, Jan-24-13 at 23:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 09:32

Plan: Paleo-Ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 358/263/235 Male 6' 6"
BF: More to Love
Progress: 77%

Oh how I wish I could swim (without that gym I don't have a pool in the winter ) I usually swim everyday in the summer because we have a pool here, but I'm not sure how this summer will look with us moving into our new/old house. Even if it is only a mile away. Great work! Keep it up!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 23:47

BF:

I am a pathetic lap swimmer...lol...not to be taken serious! I sort of glide and don't like getting my face in the water...used to be my hair cause didn't want to ruin my color. Anyway....I just do it anyway. Sometimes swim with water weights so at least I'm working something!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 07:01

Plan: Paleo-Ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 358/263/235 Male 6' 6"
BF: More to Love
Progress: 77%

Haha, well, it's the movement that counts. The water just makes it fun! lol.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 20:14

BF:

-20 at my house this morning in the hills...-40 when got to town.
so no x-country skiing! Instead went to gym and:

20 min Nautilus 90 sec run/90sec walk rotations
15 min Body Solid Ab crunch/back extensions
Schwinn Airdyne 10 min
40 min swimming laps 5 min w weights

Weighed after...157.5 down .5lb

Forgot gym closes at 4 on Sat. DH went out of town to cut wood and dropped me off...not to be back for several hours. So, I walked a mile to Westmark and played the piano. Had my down coat on, hat, good boots but no snowpants! Had warmed up to -28 walk wasn't too bad...invigorating!

Last edited by vsalmon : Sat, Jan-26-13 at 20:36.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-13, 20:41

BF:

Well...hate to say it. Exercise has not gone super well...eating is going well. I have been busy teaching and getting ready to go to Arizona. Actually, I run around quite a bit when teaching so might be surprised how much energy expended. I will be able to walk/jog quite in AZ...then on to Seattle and I love to walk downtown from Queen Anne...So will be back in my stride fairly quickly....sunshine...warm...yay!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 19:12

BF:

Busy day again. No workout but did get to swim laps. I love how it feels after swimming...so good! Try to spend tomorrow morning at gym...not giving up!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 05:25

BF:

In Arizona for a couple weeks. Will be hiking every day plus checking to see if I can use the gym and pool. Yesterday walked and hiked for two hours. So nice to be in the warm sunshine again!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 23:51

BF:

Hiked 3 miles today in the sun...didn't mind it a bit.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 23:13

BF:

Well....walking, walking, walking. Enjoying hearing birds sing, the sound of a sprinkler, the smell of cut grass, cool wet grass between my bare toes, carrying my flip-flops,,,walking, walking, walking. And walking some more!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 14:52

BF:

OK...I was doing 3 miles...went up to 4 miles yesterday. Today walked 5 miles briskly with my sister and her dog. Just talking, enjoying the sun and...lol...it just felt good! Not worrying about working out or swimming while on vacation...but enjoying walking!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 12:42

BF:

5 miles. Mostly brisk walking but about 25% jogging. I have never liked jogging and don't know how people run long distances.
However, for some crazy reason I would like to do the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks the week of June 21. So am trying to slowly incorporate jogging into my walk.
I love walking...and it is not just about exercise. It's about being alone, smells, sounds, thought, prayers and feeling good.
Today, when I got to my little knoll a little over 2 miles...I like to sit and enjoy the scenery, read, etc., well I really noticed I just felt so good! I had done 50/50 jog/walk to that point. It was like my lungs were just filled with oxygen. So am going to continue doing this routine. Am not doing gym stuff as not accessible to me here...save that for home and cold weather.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 19:32

BF:

3 miles walking yesterday and today. Busy but making myself walk.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-13, 13:16

BF:

Did 5 miles in about an hour...brisk. So next time I say I'm too busy...well it only takes an hour.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-13, 12:42

BF:

5 miles walking again...not jogging much because my pack with water bottle bounces too much...down a lb this week...I think the walking is helping break the stall I was in.