Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 07:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Don't tell the trainer "I'm not sore." Mistake on my part which I'll not be repeating soon.

Yesterday was a bear. What else can I say.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 08:31

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Don't tell the trainer "I'm not sore." Mistake
That'll teach ya! Remember that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) takes a couple of days to catch up. You won't escape again!!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 14:07
Doing My Best

Default Copy from my journal

Made it through today's workout fairly effortlessly, once I told the trainer about the two problem areas.

My weakest part is my left shoulder. Maybe it's the rotator cuff, but I don't know enough about anatomy to be sure. To avoid pain, I make my right side do most of the work.

The other weakness is also on the left side of my body and I didn't start feeling the problem until yesterday. It is the left knee and I think the weight was just too heavy. I'm so stubborn that I just keep trying. Duh.

Today I had no issues with pain until the very end. 9 lb. dumbbells were really hard for me, working the biceps.

No workout until next Monday. Then, because of the holiday, I have a week between sessions. I welcome it.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 20:41
Doing My Best

That week off made today's weight training harder, and my trainer added some medicine-ball work at the end. My legs were (and still are) shaky.

Thursday and Friday are my last two sessions. Wish I were rich so I could afford Dustin ongoing. These 10 sessions were my gift to myself, but I can't afford to keep that up. I'll just have to form a new habit and get my butt to the gym at least 2x per week. My Medicare Advantage Plan (under the guise of the Silver Sneakers program) pays the monthly gym fee.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, May-17-17, 19:32
Doing My Best

Long time since I posted here, but I've been pretty consistent with my home exercise and gym visits.

Finished up my 10 paid sessions, and learned a lot about my own body, weakness and strengths.

I'm doing more with my home workouts. Now have a 4lb squishy ball for my squats. Also, I already had a Bosu Ball in the garage, pulled it out for more balancing.

One thing I noticed is that I couldn't jump. I suppose this just happens. With age and fear of falling, we just don't jump. Well, I forced myself to get over that fear and am now doing box jumps. Don't get excited. The surface (box) is only 2" high but I can now do 10 jumps in a row. Got over that fear, and fear was what was stopping me. Once I get more adept, I'll expand my horizons with a taller box.

Old ladies, don't let your body stop moving.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 21:24
Doing My Best

Resistance bands with handles for biceps. Core squats using 4lb ball. Still practicing the dead jump and doing my yoga stretches.

Always: The morning walk.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 00:53

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%

Isn't movement a wonderful thing! you are giving me great motivation!!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 06:42
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Isn't movement a wonderful thing! you are giving me great motivation!!

Thanks, Mama. Motivation is always hard. Dog is mine. That and the fear I might freeze in place.

I went back through my Fitbit logs and found that I started logging my exercise walking in May 2014 and I was surprised at how gung ho I was at the start. Of course, I was younger then but the first year I walked 1148 miles while wearing my unit. I only log the pre-dawn walk.

The next year I got sloppy and only logged 906 miles.

This past year, as of today, I'm down to 748 miles.

Maybe I'll do better this New Fitbit Exercise Year.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 09:54
Doing My Best

The temps here are excruciating, and I'm forced to shorter walks. I've also had to take over DH's evening dog walk because of his heart.

In order to get in my exercise, I'm going to be forced back to the gym. Oh well. At least the high today is 111F instead of 114F.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 07:45
Doing My Best

Made it through summer unscathed.
Cooler temps, longer walks. Monday-Sunday
Added lap swimming.
Sore again. Monday, Wednesday and Friday
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 14:07
Doing My Best

Almost a year since my last post to this log. That's not because I haven't been exercising. Still walking from 4-5am every morning.

The lap swimming stopped because I hurt my lower back through bad swimming technique. Although I purchased a snorkel to remedy my bad form, I was afraid I'd drown myself, so the snorkel is dry.

I did, however, enroll in a water exercise class which I started October 29, 2018, 1hour~3x a week. It was hard work and good for me, but I stopped that last Friday. The chlorine caused me to get a rash. Since my face/neck thing a couple of years ago, my skin is ultra sensitive.

In the interim, I've done some yoga classes, but it appears I'm going to have to return to the gym to get enough exercise. Hate gyms. Oh well. Gotta do whatcha gotta do, right?
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-19, 14:13
Doing My Best

My yearly check in. LOL

Still walking. I learned that if I wear my fitness tracker on my ankle, EVERY step gets counted. When wearing on wrists, only arm swings are counted. Pushing a baby carriage or grocery cart or walking on a treadmill don't get counted unless it's on the ankle.

My Medicare Advantage Plan is awarding money for every group of 5 days
at at least 7500 steps per day. Believe it or not, that is incentive.

Also, this summer when it was too hot outside, my gym was there. Air-conditioned.

Considering enrolling in another 2Xweek yoga class. I had to stop last Spring because my allergies and the "essential oils" in the room weren't compatible.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 12:34
Doing My Best

No gym because of covid-19, but the mornings are still cool so I can walk. My Dear Dog Frodo is almost 14 and is slowing down. So we break the walk into 30-minute segments. First segment 4am, second segment a bit after 5am. The important thing for me is to walk at least an hour.

Still tracking my steps and most days I get in the full 10K.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 15:11
Doing My Best

My hip problem remains a pain so the walking is still on hold. I'm very uncomfortable with the sit-around. Before this happened, I was still running every once in a while just to show myself that I can still run.

Of course, I'm not 70 anymore. LOL
Now 75 but I can't change the name of the discussion. I want to be here in 5 years bragging about how many miles I walked.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-20, 09:46
Doing My Best

Chances are great that my osteoarthritis of the hip will only get worse, but I'm managing it as best I can. Well, NSAIDS, the chiropractor and I are managing the pain. I'm back to walking my pre-dawn 3 miles. When I'm in my walking trainers, hip locked, I'm in almost no pain. That comes sometimes when I'm getting off the couch or walking up or down the stairs. It's all about the position of the hip and whether it's locked.

At my age it's essential that I get the bone-weight-bearing exercise and I'll do it until I can't do it any more.