Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-13, 12:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Teaser's workout journal

This is Teaser's workout log. Feel free to kick sand in my face. But not for long.

pullups (hands-in) bodyweight; 7,7,6 6,6,6, 6,6,6. Between sets I memorize lines of poetry until I feel like doing another set. See what I meant about the sand in the face? Keeps the workout from being boring. Only resting is boring.

standing alternate curls --25 dbx2, 8,7,6,5,4,3
with this I'm doing 8 reps, put the weights down, pretend to do eight reps, weight up, 7 reps, down pretend to do eight reps, weight up, 6 reps etc. Some numbers may be skipped on the way down to three if I fail, and some numbers done twice if they're still easy--when I get to three, that's all I can do.

Bent rows--
Same as alternate curls. The fake reps were a little shorter--both arms moving at one time. So I failed a lot on reps--more like 8,6,4,3,3. Did this with a 105 pound barbell, so pretty light weight. My traps felt really springy afterwards. I'll take that as a good sign. When I was a teenager, there was a greater tendency for springiness in pretty much every muscle after working it. Forget the pump, go for the boing.

I basically have a pull day and a push day for upper body, and a leg day. I used to do three days a week, but lately I've doubled up--two days in a row for each muscle group, so five days rest between, more or less.

I used to do everything to failure, I've backed off from that in favour of volume. So far it seems to be working.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-13, 14:05

BF:

Sort of my off-day for weight-training.

I usually do a thing where I'll carry two twenty-five pound weights up a staircase, two steps at a time, fast enough to be a little challenging without risking a fall or something, but I consider that more as a sort of sprintish sort of thing. I go up and down ten times, three sessions, fifteen minutes between sessions (I'll watch a forty five minute show, throw in a set every 15 minutes.

So that's what I did today.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:57

BF:

I work out pretty much every day. Honest.

Just not sure this is a good fit for me for tracking my daily workouts.

But it's nice having the handy link here. Maybe I'll stick exercise-related articles etc. here.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 14:04

BF:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19811949

I'm going through Kindke's blog. Early on, he posts this study about rest intervals and training.

Quote:
Strength increases in upper and lower body are larger with longer inter-set rest intervals in trained men.
de Salles BF, Simão R, Miranda H, Bottaro M, Fontana F, Willardson JM.
Source
Laboratory for Clinical and Experimental Research in Vascular Biology (BioVasc), Biomedical Center, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Abstract
The purpose of the current study was to compare different rest interval durations on upper and lower body strength. Thirty-six recreationally trained men were randomly assigned to 1 min (G1; n=12), 3 min (G3; n=12) or 5 min (G5; n=12) rest interval groups. Each group performed the same resistance training program. Maximal strength was assessed at baseline, mid-point (8 weeks) and post-training (16 weeks) for the bench press and leg press exercises. For the bench press, significant increases were demonstrated within G3 and G5 at 8 weeks and at 16 weeks versus baseline (p<0.05). Additionally, for the bench press, G5 (98.2+/-3.7 kg) was significantly stronger than G1 (92.5+/-3.8 kg) at 16 weeks (p<0.05). For the leg press, significant increases were demonstrated within all groups at 8 weeks and at 16 weeks versus baseline (p<0.05). Additionally, for the leg press, G5 (290.8+/-23.5 kg) was significantly stronger than G1 (251.0+/-15.8 kg) at 8 weeks (p<0.01) and G3 (305.0+/-23.9 kg) and G5 (321.7+/-21.7 kg) were significantly stronger than G1 (276.7+/-10.7 kg) at 16 weeks (p<0.05). The findings of the current study indicate that utilising 3 or 5 min rest intervals between sets may result in significantly greater increases in upper and lower body strength beyond the initial weeks of training versus utilising 1-min rest intervals between sets.

So, more rest, more strength.

Can't see how many sets were done from the abstract.

Contrasted with;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19966591

Quote:
Chronic effects of different between-set rest durations on muscle strength in nonresistance trained young men.
Gentil P, Bottaro M, Oliveira E, Veloso J, Amorim N, Saiuri A, Wagner DR.
Source
College of Physical Education, University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil College of Health Science, University of Brasilia, Brazil. paulogentil~hotmail.com
Abstract
The purpose of the study was to investigate the effects of different between-set rest interval durations on muscle strength after 12 weeks of resistance training. After baseline tests, 34 nonresistance trained college-aged men were matched and randomly assigned to 2 groups. Both groups trained twice a week and performed the same exercises and the same work output with 2 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions until volitional fatigue. One group (n = 18, 21.4 +/- 3.2 yr; 73.8 +/- 14.0 kg; 175.9 +/- 7.8 cm) used short-rest intervals (SR) with a work rest ratio of approximately 1:3; the other (n = 16, 22.4 +/- 2.6 yr; 73.1 +/- 13.6 kg; 171.9 +/- 8.2 cm) used long-rest intervals (LR) with a work rest ratio of approximately 1:6. Leg press and bench press 1 repetition maximum (1RM) were measured at baseline and after the end of the training period. The increases in 1RM for bench press were 14.4 +/- 8.1% for the SR group and 10.5 +/- 6.4% for the LR group (p < 0.05). For the leg press, the increases were 17.5 +/- 9.2% with SR training and 17.8 +/- 12.3% for the LR group (p < 0.05). The results did not reveal significant differences between SR and LR for the bench press or leg press 1RM (p > 0.05). Our data suggest that gains in maximum strength in nontrained men are not dependent on the length of the rest interval between sets. Therefore, personal trainers and strength coaches can advise beginning lifters to use short rest intervals to make best use of their time in the weight room.

Both in Brazil, different universities. A little rivalry?

Short rest intervals.

The last matters considerably. In the first study--maybe five minute rest gets you there faster per set--but if you get 4 sets in instead of 2, in the same time, you're ahead of the game. Who knows?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19691365

Quote:
Rest interval between sets in strength training.
de Salles BF, Simão R, Miranda F, Novaes Jda S, Lemos A, Willardson JM.
Source
Laboratory for Clinical and Experimental Research in Vascular Biology (BioVasc), Biomedical Center, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Abstract
Strength training has become one of the most popular physical activities for increasing characteristics such as absolute muscular strength, endurance, hypertrophy and muscular power. For efficient, safe and effective training, it is of utmost importance to understand the interaction among training variables, which might include the intensity, number of sets, rest interval between sets, exercise modality and velocity of muscle action. Research has indicated that the rest interval between sets is an important variable that affects both acute responses and chronic adaptations to resistance exercise programmes. The purpose of this review is to analyse and discuss the rest interval between sets for targeting specific training outcomes (e.g. absolute muscular strength, endurance, hypertrophy and muscular power). The Scielo, Science Citation Index, National Library of Medicine, MEDLINE, Scopus, Sport Discus and CINAHL databases were used to locate previous original scientific investigations. The 35 studies reviewed examined both acute responses and chronic adaptations, with rest interval length as the experimental variable. In terms of acute responses, a key finding was that when training with loads between 50% and 90% of one repetition maximum, 3-5 minutes' rest between sets allowed for greater repetitions over multiple sets. Furthermore, in terms of chronic adaptations, resting 3-5 minutes between sets produced greater increases in absolute strength, due to higher intensities and volumes of training. Similarly, higher levels of muscular power were demonstrated over multiple sets with 3 or 5 minutes versus 1 minute of rest between sets. Conversely, some experiments have demonstrated that when testing maximal strength, 1-minute rest intervals might be sufficient between repeated attempts; however, from a psychological and physiological standpoint, the inclusion of 3- to 5-minute rest intervals might be safer and more reliable. When the training goal is muscular hypertrophy, the combination of moderate-intensity sets with short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds might be most effective due to greater acute levels of growth hormone during such workouts. Finally, the research on rest interval length in relation to chronic muscular endurance adaptations is less clear. Training with short rest intervals (e.g. 20 seconds to 1 minute) resulted in higher repetition velocities during repeated submaximal muscle actions and also greater total torque during a high-intensity cycle test. Both of these findings indirectly demonstrated the benefits of utilizing short rest intervals for gains in muscular endurance. In summary, the rest interval between sets is an important variable that should receive more attention in resistance exercise prescription. When prescribed appropriately with other important prescriptive variables (i.e. volume and intensity), the amount of rest between sets can influence the efficiency, safety and ultimate effectiveness of a strength training programme.

Yet another abstract.

Quote:
In terms of acute responses, a key finding was that when training with loads between 50% and 90% of one repetition maximum, 3-5 minutes' rest between sets allowed for greater repetitions over multiple sets. Furthermore, in terms of chronic adaptations, resting 3-5 minutes between sets produced greater increases in absolute strength, due to higher intensities and volumes of training.

Okay, so by this logic you get more work done over a greater amount of time, with lots of rest... so not necessarily more efficient. Just more work.

Quote:
When the training goal is muscular hypertrophy, the combination of moderate-intensity sets with short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds might be most effective due to greater acute levels of growth hormone during such workouts.

Quote:
Started trying a new method of training recently that seems to be getting surprisingly good results. The method is to use a resistence that is about 50% of your 1RM, perform 10 reps at a nice and controlled pace of about 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down, then rest for only about 30 seconds between sets.

Repeat this until you come to failure but adjust the weight if you cant do atleast 5 sets.

Ideally you should come to failure after 5 sets at around 55-65 reps in total. At this point stop, and move onto the next exercise.

This method of training is interesting to me becuase the short rest periods means you keep the intensity and focus on your training high, rather than waiting 3-5 mins between sets and day dreaming. Its also very effecient you can do a whole body workout in a short amount of time and avoids being seen as a machine hogger at the gym. My gym gets so overcrowded all the time so this fast training fits in with it.

http://kindkehealthnotes.blogspot.c...&max-results=50

Forgot I ever read this. I guess that's where I got it from. I don't worry about pacing, other than to bring the weight up as quickly as I can (not by cheating though) and control the descent.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 17:02

BF:

woot. woot woot.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 04:55

BF:

January 3 tuesday 170.2 fasting day
January 4 wednesday 170.6 non-fasting day
January 5 thursday 168.9 fasting day better scale starts here
January 6 friday 167.6 non-fasting day
January 7 saturday 167.6 "fasting" day
January 8 sunday 166.7 eating. A little extra protein, 2 shots of rum
January 9 monday 166.7 fasting
------------------------------------------------------
January 10 tuesday 167 eating
January 11 wednesday 167.2 fasting cheese for breakfast and dinner
January 12 thursday 167.4 eating egg breakfast, cheese sausage dinner
January 13 friday 166.7
January 14 saturday 166.1
January 15 sunday 165.4
January 16 monday 165.6
-------------------------------------------------------------------
January 17 tuesday 165.1
January 18 wednesday 164.9
January 19 thursday 165.9
January 20 friday 164.7
January 21 saturday 164.9
January 22 sunday 163.8 two shots of rum
January 23 monday 163.7
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
January 24 tuesday 163.8
January 25 wednesday 163.3
January 26 thursday 163.2
January 27 friday 163.5
January 28 saturday 162.9
January 29 sunday 162.3
January 30 monday 163.7
-------------------------------------------------------------
January 31 tuesday 161.7
February 1 wednesday 161.5
February 2 thursday 162.7
February 3 friday 163
February 4 saturday 161.9
February 5 sunday 162
February 6 monday 162.1
---------------------------------------------------------
February 7 tuesday 160.7 (skipped breakfast)
February 8 wednesday 160.3
February 9 thursday 160.8 extra cheese
February 10 friday 160.7
February 11 saturday 161.1
February 12 sunday 159.6
February 13 monday 161.3
----------------------------------------------
February 14 tuesday 162.8
February 15 wednesday 164.6 ribs
February 16 thursday 162.8
February 17 friday 161.6
February 18 saturday 162.5
February 19 sunday 163.1
February 20 monday 162.7
------------------------------------
February 21 tuesday 162.1 early dinner 3pm
February 22 wednesday 163.6
February 23 thursday 162.6 fasted
February 24 friday 160.9
February 25 saturday 161.6 refeed day
February 26 sunday 160.4 2nd refeed day.
February 27 monday 159 3rd refeed day
---------------------------------------------------
February 28 tuesday 159.1 back to typical keto day
March 1 wednesday 160.1
March 2 thursday 160.4
March 3 friday 160.5 feed in, 4 extra ounces cheese, extra cup heavy cream
March 4 saturday 158.8 fasted on friday
March 5 sunday 159.5 1/2 refeed
March 6 monday 160.2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 7 tuesday 160.9
March 8 wednesday 162.5
March 9 thursday 160.1 one meal a day
March 10 friday 158.9 one meal a day salmon egg patty
March 11 saturday 158.9 omad salmon
March 12 sunday 158 omad ground beef
March 13 monday 157.8 omad ground beef
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 14 tuesday 158.3 omad chicken and the egg
March 15 wednesday 158.6 omad chicken and the egg
March 16 thursday 158.1 omad pork stir-fry
March 17 friday 157.4 omad pork stir fry egg
March 18 saturday 158.9 omad chicken and egg
March 19 sunday 158.6 omad pork stir fry
March 20 monday 158.3 omad beef stew, pork stir fry
------------------------------------------------------------------
March 21 tuesday 158.1 pork stir fry egg
March 22 wednesday 158.1 pork stir fry, 2 additional 2 egg meals
March 23 thursday 156.3 4 eggs, 4 ounces spinach, 2 ounces butter breakfast
March 24 friday 157.6 cottage cheese omad evening, full calories trouble getting to sleep
March 25 saturday 156.7 cottage cheese omad morning, lower calories full protein, good sleep
March 26 sunday 155.9 salmon pattie omad morning, full calories, good sleep
March 27 monday 156.3 salmon pattie omad morning, full calories, good sleep
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 28 tuesday 156.5 salmon pattie omad morning, full calories, good sleep
March 29 wednesday 156.9 cottage cheese omad dinner, full calories 120 grams protein, good but delayed sleep
March 30 thursday 155.3 coffee and cream fast
March 31 friday 155.9 salmon pattie omad morning +2 ounces heavy cream, good sleep
April 1 saturday 154.6 salmon pattie omad morning +2 ounces heavy cream, good sleep
April 2 sunday 154.7 same as above, plus 1.5 tablespoons of rum
April 3 monday 155.6 sunday lunch, roast beef and deviled eggs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 4 tuesday 156 Double protein, hamburger slept fine
April 5 wednesday 155.1 fat fast
April 6 thursday 156.3 pork stir fry breakfast, ice cream dinner
April 7 friday 154.7 pork stir fry breakfast, ice cream dinner
April 8 saturday 154.1 pork stir fry breakfast, ice cream
April 9 sunday 153 pork stir fry breakfast, ice cream, +2 heavy cream
April 10 monday 155.6 pork stir fry breakfast, pumpkin seed/flax/coconut/cream concoction in place of ice cream
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 11 tuesday 156 egg breakfast, egg dinner
April 12 wednesday 154.6 higher protein, lower carb
April 13 thursday 153.6 same
April 14 friday 154.6 higher protein, lower carb, but flaxseeds
April 15 saturday 153.2 four ounces heavy cream easy
April 16 sunday 154.7
April 17 monday 153.7 four ounces heavy cream easy
April 18 tuesday 156 316 grams fat 50 grams total carbs 20 grams net 137 grams protein 3527 calories
April 19 wednesday 153 five ounces of heavy cream easy
April 20 thursday 155.6 326 grams fat 61 grams total carbs 33 grams net 110 grams protein 3496 calories
April 21 friday 152.8 4 ounces heavy cream easy
April 22 saturday 156.6 Guessing? 4000 calories...
April 23 sunday 157 Ate to appetite.
April 24 monday 154.7 4 ounces heavy cream easy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 25 tuesday 155.5 omad dinner
April 26 wednesday 156.2 318 grams fat 60 grams total carbs 24 grams net 130 grams protein 3528 calories
April 27 thursday 4 ounces heavy cream sugar-free jello
April 28 friday Not sure of calories carbs slightly higher
April 29 saturday 153.4 4 ounces heavy cream, sugar-free jello, easy fast
April 30 sunday 157.4 ribs, protein a bit high
April 31 monday 155 run of the mill keto
May 2 tuesday 153 4 ounces heavy cream, sugar-free jello, less liquid, slept through
May 3 wednesday 152.7 11 ounces heavy cream, 5 eggs, 5 tablespoons cocoa
May 4 thursday 154.6 full-keto (food same as above, but 1 tablespoon cocoa, an ounce of flaxseed, one more ounce of heavy cream).
May 5 friday 155 keto? had some cashews and pistachios. But I was more than usually keto the two days before, so maybe...
May 6 saturday 153.3 2300 calories? 93 grams protein, 20 grams carbs, 12 net, 212 grams fat
May 7 sunday 153.2 2152 calories 56 grams protein, 20 carbs, 13 net 212 grams fat
May 8 monday 153.7 same as above

Same food as the day before, but with a couple of packets less of sweetener--the stuff bulked with dextrose--and two ounces of heavy cream instead of an ounce of butter, so it's pretty much a wash on carbs.