Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 08:03
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Ya can't beat good genes!
Gonna try to attach a picture of my Mother, my Daughter and me: Ages 66, 18 and 46 respectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3gens72px.jpg (54.2 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Look at that gorgeous trio! You look like, but don't look like, your mom. Your daughter, same thing with you. You can't deny the genetic link, though. You are all beauties, and all have amazing eyes.

My mom somehow escaped the early aging that her oldest sister dealt with. Until she was in her late 60's, she still was lovely.
  #348   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 12:43
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hi, gang. I'm back. Been so busy the last 3 years posting for Jennifer Eloff's Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook page, haven't been able to visit the forums much. But I've officially retired from that (although I technically retired from teaching in 2002 ) With the loss of my mother and brother only 1 year apart, it has been a tumultuous year and a half for us. A lot of the stress and going back and forth to San Antonio to close out her things has me gaining weight. I just started a carb-cycling program that I think is gonna work for me. I've lost 8# in a month and hope to lose 30 or so more.
  #349   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 18:55

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Good to see you back as its been a long time. I think N2L and I are the only Oldies left on here but I could be wrong. Hugs to you, myrt
  #350   ^
Old Tue, May-24-16, 20:54

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Yes, it is good to see you again Peggy.
myrt and I need some backup.
I come here everyday, the lowcarber site, but don't post everyday.
I like reading so many of the threads.
So, sit back and enjoy being home again.
N2L
  #351   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 07:44
Patience Personified

Thanks, ladies. I'm like you, N2L......I do more reading of threads than jumping in and posting.
  #352   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 20:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi all, I'm back!! Have been busy the last few months as we are remodelling our house. We decided to take a breather.

Still doing my lowcarb, been at it since 2014 this time I think it will stick. One of these days I have to update my profile.

Hope everyone had a fantastic day
  #353   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 08:11

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Good morning ladies. Some interesting topics in this thread. I'm one of you, 61 years old. I've got hairstyle questions...

If you cut your hair short, what guided you in the right direction in the way of photos? Did you regret it? Is it really easier than shoulder length hair?

I have thick just above the shoulder bob hairstyle with bangs. It was a mid way cut off of 6 inches a month ago as I'm really toying with tossing the long hair altogether and going short. It's especially bad now that it has gotten hot as my hair is so thick and my scalp gets hot.

My problem is finding pictures of a short hairstyle I like. I'm tired of asking google for short hairstyles for women over 60 and getting nothing but painfully slow slideshow sites that show nothing but celebrities, most of which are sporting hair that looks like they just crawled out of bed or are doing a dreadful job of growing out a bad haircut.

I can find plenty of pictures of short styles that I don't like and can explain why I don't like those. But finding something short, that doesn't look messy, that can be dried with a round brush and maybe a touch of a larger curling iron for lift, and a tiny bit of spiking gel to keep it in place....

Any advice? I like something that still is a bit coifed but not looking like Queen Elizabeth!!!!
  #354   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 08:23
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Well, since my hair is the exact opposite of what you describe, I'm not a bunch of help. However, the past two years I've been growing mine after a lifetime of really short cuts. The benefit of having it long is that when I wind it up, I still look like I have short hair. It's up off my neck, so cooler.

My .02.
  #355   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 10:20

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

First thing first, KM: I have the same kind of hair that you do--add in multiple cowlicks and waves. I went to very, very short, a few years ago, and then slowly have gotten longer, to where, now it's just above the jawbone, and the bangs are about 1/2 inch from being grown out to the length of the rest.

I can tuck it behind my ears, I can scrunch it as it dries to let the waves out, I can let it dry and finger comb it to almost straight, or blow it dry and then flat iron it to silky straight.

To see an earlier version, from last October, click on the link below my sig.

BUT. Don't look at "women over 60 hairdos". Look at "short 'dos for thick hair".

Because, just as the clothing industry seems uninterested in designing clothes specifically for women our age, so does the beauty industry, in hairstyles.
  #356   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 13:35

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm 72, soon to be 73.
I had to cut my hair about 2 years ago because the back had been shaved due to a cracked skull.
I'd let the shaved part grow in somewhat before cutting.
Now it wasn't long at the time, but long enough I could put in a scrunchie or clip and just go.
There is a short length that turned out to be a lot of work and I'd thought the opposite.
Now my hair is just at bottom of ears and so easy.
I can wash, blow or not, and it looks very acceptable.
I could dress it up by using curling iron, but don't.
I spend too much time in bed for that.
I've also not colored my hair since the fall.
Wasn't allowed to until skull healed and by then hair had grown out to where I could see I was mostly white.
It is so freeing to have the wash and go white hair.
At 72 I'm me and finding that I see more and more younger women with natural colored hair instead of putting the chemicals on their heads.
I'd colored since 6th grade, my white hair had started darkening and my mother just wouldn't accept it.
Look at Megan Kelly, Fox channel, that is how I wear my hair and did it before her.
Guess I'm a trend setter, lol.
  #357   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 14:47
Patience Personified

I've had short hair 90% of my life. I find the best way to wear it is the way it falls naturally. A beautician once told me this and I listened. Can't fight my cowlicks; can't fight my long hairline. So I just dry it, let it part naturally on the side, as it is want to do and let it lay down as it will. If it takes mre than 5 minutes to dry it with a brush-attached drier, I know it's time to get it cut again.
  #358   ^
Old Sun, May-29-16, 05:06

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks for your insights ladies. I'm so torn over this decision, so maybe that's the clue I should be listening to. Until I find a picture of the perfect short cut, I'm thinking the next step should be put off. When I went through meno, my hair went from really straight to wavy. Not wavy enough to be curly, but too curly to be straight. It needs a bit of primping for the dry-naturally-beach-wave look cuz the front sides don't have the same waviness as the back. I still struggle with let it dry naturally cuz I just feel like it looks like I just crawled out of bed. Although yesterday I did that, and in this heat it was the right choice.
  #359   ^
Old Mon, May-30-16, 08:57
Patience Personified

Mine is naturally wavy, so I've kept it short to keep those waves "tame". Mine has gotten slightly frizzy as it has grayed, so the reasons to keep it short are even greater than before. I have to use a dryer on it to facilitate it being smoother and not frizzy. But the kind of dryer I need is getting harder and harder to find. Sassoon makes one with a brush attachment I can stroke back and forth through my hair for 5 minutes and it's dry and smoothed out straight: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vidal-Sas...-Dryer/51447908. On our 6-week trip to Britain, hopping from B&B to B&B, I didn't want to deal with converters so I just let my hair dry naturally there. Didn't look so nice, but I just got used to the curly look and got over it.
  #360   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 20:13
Registered Member

Stats: 328/286.8/125 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi--just reading through some of the threads and saw this one. I just turned 60 a month ago. One thing I'm hoping to do is to have short hair when I lose more weight. It's on my list of things I will do, as a reward.