Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 13:55

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Merpig,

I have looked into contributing. Still on the fence and need to learn more.

Nancy LC,

I appreciate the feedback. I have been experimenting with Xanthan gum for thickening, so I expect to get that working well at some point. The Okra in gumbo provides a gelatinous thickening as well.

With making the roux, its really more about the flavor than thickening. This is why I think some folks are a little perplexed by my thread here. Most people think of roux for thickening and in most recipes thats exactly what its for in addition to flavor.

The longer a roux is cooked, like the dark roux used in Cajun cooking, it actually thickens less. The less flour roux is cooked, the more it thickens.

What I'm aiming for is the flavor. I'll be sure to report back on any success with almond flour. I would like to find a small package but that seems hard to come by.

Most people dont even make gumbo or the proper roux you need for it, so this thread is all about the experiment to me. I'm actually a little surprised at how many people have written things to me like you have, basically saying you just have to give stuff up and get used to it. I get that, but for me life is about challenging rather than giving up...I'm one of those guys that tries to fix everything around the house I can, even if I've never done it. I'm always pushing the limits and I'm pretty tenacious when I get my mind set on doing something.

I got real close with this first run. I'll bet I'll get even closer at some point. I saw a Bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern the other day where he visited Cajun country and met an old woman with a generations old gumbo recipe. The recipe doesn't even use a roux, he said she slow roasts okra for three hours to give the gumbo that deep rich flavor. That's the kind of out of the box thinking I like. I'd be perfectly happy not using any roux if I can get that flavor.

So, I may try doing a "very roasted" pan of some vegetables like celery and a little onions and peppers to keep it carb light, then take that browned veg mix and blend it with some of the broth for the gumbo and see if it gives me the flavor profile.

A browning sauce may help, but does bring some carbs. Kitchen Bouquet may be worth a try. Walmart sells it for about $3. It costs about 3 grams carbs per teaspoon though...but if it only took a teaspoon for the flavor and color to get right, it would be considered low carb in the serving size.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 12:18
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I cook a lot of cajun food and have found that browning oat fiber in your oil makes a pretty decent roux. Thickens slightly and more importantly, gives you a browned flower taste to the gravy/recipe like a real roux. I order my oat fiber at Honeyvillegrains on-line.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 09:55

BF:

Thanks Buttoni!

Should I buy oat fiber or oat flour?

Edit: I ordered both. I got a little too happy on the Netrition site!

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Mon, Apr-02-18 at 11:05.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 08:06
Patience Personified

They are NOT the same thing. Oat flour didn't work as well for me for this purpose. Get the oat fiber.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: WW/Low(er)carb
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think oat flour is just ground up oats?
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:01

BF:

Buttoni,

You have inspired me to buy more baking products. I ordered several things from Netrition last week. Some really great products and found the black soy beans they sell in the cans too...those will be a game changer. People say you cant tell they are not just black beans in a chili. I haven't had beans in three months! The carb number on those is outstanding.

I just made your fluffy cheddar biscuits today...another total life changer, they are delicious! Closet thing to a traditional baked good I've had since starting this diet. I am very excited to try more of the recipes.

I'm making your cheddar jalapeno bread to go along with corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight. I'm could not be more exited to be eating bread tonight! I'm splurging for my birthday (yes, still making dinner though) by low carb baking! More carbs than usual for me, but still super low compared to regular bread products.

Folks should click on your link in your signature and go check out your web site if they haven't. It is now in my bookmarks.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Apr-07-18 at 14:25.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 200/138/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 103%

I've made roux in the past using Carbalose flour, and in a pinch even Carbquik. They brown pretty quickly so you have to use a pretty low flame but they worked and I got the flavor I was wanting, which was for a gravy, not gumbo (which I've never made but would love to try!) - might be worth a look anyway, especially if you're on an ordering frenzy with Netrition at the moment!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: WW/Low(er)carb
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
Buttoni,

You have inspired me to buy more baking products. I ordered several things from Netrition last week. Some really great products and found the black soy beans they sell in the cans too...those will be a game changer. People say you cant tell they are not just black beans in a chili. I haven't had beans in three months! The carb number on those is outstanding.

I just made your fluffy cheddar biscuits today...another total life changer, they are delicious! Closet thing to a traditional baked good I've had since starting this diet. I am very excited to try more of the recipes.

I'm making your cheddar jalapeno bread to go along with corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight. I'm could not be more exited to be eating bread tonight! I'm splurging for my birthday (yes, still making dinner though) by low carb baking! More carbs than usual for me, but still super low compared to regular bread products.

Folks should click on your link in your signature and go check out your web site if they haven't. It is now in my bookmarks.

For the black soy beans, 15 minutes in chicken broth(or beef- whatever liquid)in an instant pot makes them nice and soft like pinto or black beans
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 13:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie
For the black soy beans, 15 minutes in chicken broth(or beef- whatever liquid)in an instant pot makes them nice and soft like pinto or black beans

Thanks Dottie, I haven't tried them from dry yet. Everything I've found is mega-expensive but dont now how it relates to volume of cooked product in the end compared to canned.

On a good note, I just found Amazon has the same cans as Netrition for $2.17, 22¢ a can less and Prime free 2 day shipping! I was just waiting to build an order to meet the $99 free shipping on Netrition before buying more, and now I can have them by the end of the week for a good price!

I tried to make re-fried beans with them, it was good, but certainly not a direct replacement...still better than nothing! I'm going to ry to put them in the food processor. Hand mashing them left a lot of the skin intact and a not so smooth texture. Other non low carbers thought they were OK too.

I used them in my normal chili recipe, and only used half the tomatoes to cut those carbs and it came out fantastic. Remarkable actually.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 13:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
I've made roux in the past using Carbalose flour, and in a pinch even Carbquik. They brown pretty quickly so you have to use a pretty low flame but they worked and I got the flavor I was wanting, which was for a gravy, not gumbo (which I've never made but would love to try!) - might be worth a look anyway, especially if you're on an ordering frenzy with Netrition at the moment!

I'll have to try that. I can report that the oat fiber did work pretty good.

Thanks!

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Tue, May-08-18 at 13:33.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I cook a lot of cajun food and have found that browning oat fiber in your oil makes a pretty decent roux. Thickens slightly and more importantly, gives you a browned flower taste to the gravy/recipe like a real roux. I order my oat fiber at Honeyvillegrains on-line.

Thank you! The oat fiber did work well. It's a little bit of skill required as a cook because the color starts out brown rather than white like wheat flour. So gauging when to stop "browning" the roux was dicey. It smelled a little weird too, but that went completely away after adding with all other ingredients.

My wife and two other people who are not low carbers loved the gumbo. I did too. It really did have that depth of flavor very near what flour gives.

To enhance the thickening, I used zanthan gum. I keep some in a fine holed shaker (like a salt shaker) and shake over/into soups, stews and sauces a little at a time. It gives a lot of control over the adding of the zanthan and eliminates any clumping.

A BONUS! I was also experimenting with different flours, etc I had bought while deep frying chicken wings (regular cornstarch coated for the non low carbers) and the oat fiber was a big winner in low carb coating! It really enhanced the chicken wings almost as good, and in some way better than cornstarch...and zero net carbs!

I'll be trying some other different deep fry's with that stuff, tis the season here in the Mid Atlantic for deep frying after all! I fry out in my garage with all the doors open, so I dont deep fry as much in the dead of winter or heat of summer because I also air condition my garage.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 18:13
Patience Personified

Yes, indeed, I do like to add a bit of oat fiber to my coatings and batters. It really imparts a true flour taste IMHO. a little in LC pie crusts works wonders, too.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 18:41
Patience Personified

Ken, oat fiber makes a pretty good roux. That's what I've been using for some time now. Occasionally, when I feel indulgent, I'll add 1 T. Einkorn flour to the oat fiber for an even deeper browned-flour taste. Then if further thickening is needed I dust a smidge of xanthan gum or glucomannan powder into the soup/gumbo. Be sure and try the oat fiber some time. I think you'll find it is quite nice.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 10:11

BF:

Peggy,

You may have missed where I wrote I did try the oat fiber and it did work well. I found it makes a good shake coating for deep fried chicken wings too...where I used to use cornstarch. It doesn't take that much cornstarch but eliminating those carbs is easy using the oat fiber. I think the oat fiber actually adds to the taste and helps buffalo sauce adhere well.

I just got some einkhorn flour to try some of your other recipes, I'll keep that in mind. That reminds me, I didn't even look at the carb load on that. I was shocked at the carb load in oat flour...I think I only bought it because its in that Jennifer Eloff's baking mix...so I dont use it much and there's not that much in the baking mix...AND I only make THAT to make your cheddar biscuits!

I keep xanthan gum in a fine holed salt/spice shaker. It makes it so easy to just dust a little in to any dish or sauce to tighten it up
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 07:51
Patience Personified

I backed up ans saw that post, Ken. Glad you trialed the oat fiber for Cajun roux. It really is the best I've come up with so far. Honestly, the out flour I pretty much just use to make up Jen's bake mix, too. I have used it when out of Einkorn flour, but like you say, the carb count is less desirable than I would like on oat flour. I have been using Jen's bake mix interchangeable for Carbquik or other flour in recipes when I'm in a pinch. Haven't had a disaster doing that YET.

Yes, I've been using xanthan gum in a shaker for ages. It takes so little to do the job that just seemed the besst tact to take to limit gloppy issues. Tip: just heat the tines of a kitchen fork and melt 4-6 holes in the lid of the plastic container it ships in. Works like a champ.